Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If you are Compositionally Challenged Read Freeman's Book Photographers Eye  (Read 4622 times)

bobkeenan

• Bobkeenan Photography

Michael Freeman's book "Photographer's Eyes" is an amazing book for the art and compositionally challenged.   I first read it about 3 years ago and have read it 3 times since.   I have also read all of his other books.  But this one really affected me.   So I wrote a short blog about it here:

http://www.bobkeenanphoto.com/book-review-michael-freemans-photographers-eye-photographers-mind/

And thought I should share this thought on this forum.

I would highly recommend any new photographers to check out his book.
Bob Keenan

feethea

I agree Bob.

I have both of the books you mention, although at the time of purchase I didn't consider myself "compositionally challenged". They can be rather conceptually difficult on their first read but subsequent refreshing consolidates the theory.

Barry

NancyP

Plug for Richard Zakia, Perception and Imaging, Focal Press, 3rd edition (4th edition coming soon). I haven't read Freeman's books, but the book by Zakia is thought provoking.

Pioneer

I have read a couple of Freeman's books and they are quite good. Like the author of the review you linked, I also struggle with composition and art. Technique comes pretty natural and although I occasionally still make a mistake once in a while I fee fairly comfortable in the technical world. But I read as much on art and composition as I can get my grubby little hands on.

I like David duChemin's "Photographically Speaking". It is quite good at discussing how to recognize and critique what you like and don't like about your images, as well as others.

I think that my favorite right now is Bruce Barnbaum's "The Art of Photography." Although probably not what I would call a beginner's book it is one of the best books on the softer aspects of photography that I have ever read. I read a chapter and then go out and shoot. Then I read another and go out and practice. This one book has inspired me to try more things than any other photography book I have ever read. I very strongly recommend it if you are thinking of moving your images up a notch.

omar.lodhi

• Macro Photography

Nice share. I never thought of the phrase compositionally challenged.
Pages: [1]   Go Up