Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D800E continuous shooting Live View  (Read 3254 times)

John Nollendorfs

D800E continuous shooting Live View
« on: June 18, 2012, 03:02:55 pm »

Having just received my camera this weekend, was trying out things and noticed an anomaly, maybe some one can explain? When trying to shoot in live view, using continuous mode, the camera locks up even if I haven't filled the buffer, until it has finished writing to the card. Obviously, when shooting continuous not using live view, this doesn't happen. There are times, that I wish to use live view, photographing action in front of me, and wish to shoot several frames in a row, but with the camera locking until it has written all frames to card, this doesn't allow for much flexibility for catching additional action.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: D800E continuous shooting Live View
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 03:29:03 pm »

Check to see if either of these  firmware updates  from Nikon addresses this :

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17815

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17811

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 04:02:15 pm »

Tried the latest firmware update, but no change in the situation. It seems that during writing to the card, the system locks up Live View. I wonder if this is by design, or a bug in the firmware?

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 04:58:38 pm »

What speed  card?

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 06:11:43 pm »

just tested what mine does
I have a 60mb/s card and the latest firmware
In liveview i can make about 17 shots raw + jpeglargefine-      the liveview turns black during shooting and comes back after about 8 seconds...
I have heard -the faster the card the shorter the blackout- the fastest card is at the moment the lexar 1000X CF card- 128MB/s
If i use the smallest format- jpeg small- than the blackout is only during shooting

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 06:16:34 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 10:21:49 pm »

Problem isn't with the speed of the card. In live view, if you take one, 5 in continuous more, or 10 in continuous mode, once you let up on the shutter button, you are locked out until the buffer has all been written to the card. Speed of card would of course determine how long the lock out lasts. In regular shooting mode, you can shoot short bursts to your heart's continent until you fill up the buffer. I've e-mailed Nikon about the situation, asking for an explanation. Still no word after two days.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 05:05:30 pm »

If you try the 1000x lexar CF-card - the fastest at the moment - the blackout will be about half of the 60mb card - but not zero

on a 3000 euro camera probably it makes sense, for some types of photography,  to buy it...  as being part of the machine
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 02:49:16 pm »

Well, I haven't heard any word back from Nikon regarding the "black out" when shooting in Live View. I assume they must have some problem in the firmware, or in trying to write to the card during Live view. Thank heaven I don't shoot that way very often! I guess just stick to using regular view!

I'm still perplexed by trying to focus in "M"  mode  using studio flash in Live view. Nikon has not responded to that at all! My D5100 does this just fine! I guess the only way around is Ellis' solution to switch modes? But that isn't very elegant.

Pages: [1]   Go Up