Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Annie Leibovitz with Leica S2 for Vanity Fair  (Read 20281 times)

Rob C

Re: Annie Leibovitz with Leica S2 for Vanity Fair
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 11:43:28 am »

Our LL colleague wouldn't be broke.
Annie Leibovitz pawns rights to all future work

Edmund

Hi Edmund,

I remember the thread here on LuLa when that news broke; some thought she deserved it and others not; I was one of the latter.

I suppose that it's very hard to remain grounded when you get to that level of wish-fulfilment. I think one would imagine that it'll go on for ever and if you have a team of accountants doing the maths for you, you will never really appreciate how real anything is, neither how good nor how bad your state actually is, where sustainable credit ends and where your ability to repay starts to falter.

I personally had late friends using a world-class accountant firm to handle their companies and finances: at the death of the first, the surviving spouse was left with a hell of a lot of problems despite having this world brand more or less on retainer to handle offshore investments etc. From my single experience of using a lawyer to fight a small (large to me at the time) case for me, I learned it was cheaper to lose than to fight. It's the same with accountants: their time equates with your money. Why would they do anything quickly and easily if they can spin it out, especially where big money is concerned?

I wish Annie well.

Rob C
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 03:19:13 pm by Rob C »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 01:54:25 pm »

Your explanation makes sense.

Edmund

Hi Edmund,

I remember the thread here on LuLa when that news broke; some thought she deserved it and others not; I was one of the latter.

I suppose that it's very hard to remain grounded when you get to that level of wish-fulfilment. I think one would imagine that it'll go on for ever and if you have a team of accountants doing the maths for you, you will never really appreciate how real anything is, neither how good nor how bad your state actually is, where sustainable credit ends and where your ability to repay starts to falter.

I personally had late friends using a world-class accountant firms to handle their companies and finances: at the death of the first, the surviving spouse was left with a hell of a lot of problems despite having this world brand more or less on retainer to handle offshore investments etc. From my single experience of using a lawyer to fight a small (large to me at the time) case for me, I learned it was cheaper to lose than to fight. It's the same with accountants: their time equates with your money. Why would they do anything quickly and easily if they can spin it out, especialy where big money is concerned?

I wish Annie well.

Rob C
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

mr purdy

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 11:19:44 pm »

Leaves me with mixed feelings...while on the other hand, it all looks so callous...

Rob C

Callous?? Have you ever been to one of these shows? I have been to many, and to me it's one of the best things to do in NYC. (and there are obviously MANY great things to do in NYC.)
It is a fantastic experience, sitting under the night sky in a quiet part of the park, with amazing performers, and a great crowd. And it's always FREE to attend.
If anything it has always left me with heightened awareness of the humanity around me.

mr purdy

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 01:33:50 am »

She'll have a least a half dozen assistants on hand that know how to use the camera, the lights and do the post processing. With the best talent doing the heavy lifting she's just there to push the button on whatever is put in her hands. Proof that a good rep makes a career, talent is incidental.

Wow, this is a clueless statement about a complex operation. Anybody who has done this kind of work before knows that you don't just hire a crew to go in and set everything up so you can you just come in at the last minute and press a button. This is so far from the truth that it is laughable.
And on that note, a few of Annie's "incidental" button presses:

And here are a few more:
http://bit.ly/KWFY5n

And also on that note, I think K.C. should show some of his work! Come on, don't be shy!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 01:45:06 am by mr purdy »

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 05:21:12 pm »

Wow, this is a clueless statement about a complex operation. Anybody who has done this kind of work before knows that you don't just hire a crew to go in and set everything up so you can you just come in at the last minute and press a button. This is so far from the truth that it is laughable.
And on that note, a few of Annie's "incidental" button presses

And also on that note, I think K.C. should show some of his work! Come on, don't be shy!

A couple months ago I watched a documentary on Annie - I think it was "life through a lens", but not 100% sure. I was impressed by the body of work - a lot of work, and a lot of good work, over a substantial period of time. It didn't particularly matter to me how she produced it.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 04:01:55 am »

I have seen the same documentary and also have the book (amongst several others by her). I feel she has made some extraordinary work over the last decades. There are many works I would have loved to make myself. I wish there will be a moment in time that I can show a body of work like hers. There is nothing wrong with having some envy about her work.

Stating she has no talent because she is now at a stage in her career where she is able and smart enough to use the best people she can find to get even better results? My opinion is that she does not only have talent but also is 'big enough' to acknowledge there are people that are better suited for some tasks while she remains responsible for the endresult.

There is nothing stopping anyone to do exactly the same thing...

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 04:37:52 am »

Well said Dustbak!
I couldn't agree more,however I said that in my earlier post,
Groetjes,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up