Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Annie Leibovitz with Leica S2 for Vanity Fair  (Read 20279 times)

jsch

Annie Leibovitz with Leica S2 for Vanity Fair
« on: June 18, 2012, 10:32:01 am »

Hi,

from time to time I watch the making of videos on the Vanity Fair web site. Here You can see at 0:52 that Mrs. Leibovitz is using a Leica S2
http://www.vanityfair.com/video/2012/06/1675230880001

Best,
Johannes

Rob C

Re: Annie Leibovitz with Leica S2 for Vanity Fair
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 11:27:12 am »

Leaves me with mixed feelings - emotions would be too strong a word - about that world; on the one hand it's nice to see people spaced out on a little planet and speech-style of their own making, well, a later iteration of one inhertited from years of a similar established by past generations, while on the other hand, it all looks so callous when we have half of the world falling to its knees on the concrete with the prospect of fiscal disaster and mass riot looming large across much of southern Europe.

Oh well, I'm sure Willie will be having a wry little laugh at the industry he spawned...

Rob C

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 01:48:48 pm »

A camera shop in Paris had a Canon day, with a 1Dx, empty shop quasi, the sister Leica store 10 yards away was full.

Edmund

Leaves me with mixed feelings - emotions would be too strong a word - about that world; on the one hand it's nice to see people spaced out on a little planet and speech-style of their own making, well, a later iteration of one inhertited from years of a similar established by past generations, while on the other hand, it all looks so callous when we have half of the world falling to its knees on the concrete with the prospect of fiscal disaster and mass riot looming large across much of southern Europe.

Oh well, I'm sure Willie will be having a wry little laugh at the industry he spawned...

Rob C
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 01:57:10 pm »

Very hard to believe.   :o    (but I believe you)
Eduardo

A camera shop in Paris had a Canon day, with a 1Dx, empty shop quasi, the sister Leica store 10 yards away was full.

Edmund

theguywitha645d

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 03:59:39 pm »

Edmund

Well, it is Paris. Hardly the place to make global generalizations.

telyt

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 08:52:41 pm »

Not surprising at all.  Canon's latest widgets are incremental improvements over well-established tweedledee-tweedledum models.  Leica's current models are unique.

K.C.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 10:20:38 pm »

Hi,

from time to time I watch the making of videos on the Vanity Fair web site. Here You can see at 0:52 that Mrs. Leibovitz is using a Leica S2
http://www.vanityfair.com/video/2012/06/1675230880001

Best,
Johannes

She'll have a least a half dozen assistants on hand that know how to use the camera, the lights and do the post processing. With the best talent doing the heavy lifting she's just there to push the button on whatever is put in her hands. Proof that a good rep makes a career, talent is incidental.

LKaven

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 03:53:14 am »

Leaves me with mixed feelings...

They don't call it Vanity Fair for nothing.  From Wikipedia: "Vanity Fair refers to a stop along the pilgrim's progress: a never-ending fair held in a town called Vanity, which is meant to represent man's sinful attachment to worldly things."

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 04:44:13 am »

Very hard to believe.   :o    (but I believe you)
Eduardo

Eduardo, Edmund didn't say that everybody was actually buying anything in the Leica shop. If there was one next door I'd probably also have a look without the least intention of buying anything.

Though I've been (and still am) a Nikon user since the year dot, I have no interest in walking into a Nikon shop.

Rob C

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 07:26:26 pm »

I think that Leica S2 would be the ideal camera for her. If I was shooting people like she does,that would be my preferred camera as well.
It's well known that she likes shooting with a 35 mm film camera in the past.
The Leica is like that, a big 35mm camera.

After reading her book http://www.amazon.com/Annie-Leibovitz-at-Work/dp/0375505105

I certainly got more respect for her and I really think she is very talented, but it does help when you can pull out all stops.
A couple of years ago she was shooting in Sydney for VF and she had 5 assistants, rented all the available ProFoto,Bron etc from the rental houses.
They had a field day.

I like her a lot.
Cheers,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

theguywitha645d

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 09:08:00 pm »

She'll have a least a half dozen assistants on hand that know how to use the camera, the lights and do the post processing. With the best talent doing the heavy lifting she's just there to push the button on whatever is put in her hands. Proof that a good rep makes a career, talent is incidental.

Do you feel under appreciated? Not getting the respect you believe you deserve? Cutting down someone successful will not help. It is a cheap shot.

But instead of criticizing a fellow photography, why not just get a good rep? That is all it takes. See you in Vanity Fair.

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 03:49:28 am »

A.   I would call myself lucky if I would have a career like Rob C: In the south with a camera and a beautiful model without art directors, clients and iPhone/Blueberry holders in the neck who want the picture yesterday and want the legs of model A posted to the body of model B and the head of model C.

B.   That is at least the way I understood Robs career. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

C.   Is a photographer important, if he/she photographs so called important people? In the long run I don't think so. Avedon understood this, consequently "In the American West" and the images of his "father" are his real heritage in my opinion. Look what Liebovitz published in her latest books.

Am I able to make a meaningful image? I ask myself every day. And I have no answer. But I keep going on.

Best,
Johannes

Hi Johannes,

A.   Yes, it was pretty much like that for me, but perhaps because of two principle factors: first of all, it was a period (Golden Age?) when that was what quite a few photographers were doing because there were clients around who had faith in their companies and were also trying to outdo one another in their publicity; secondly, the lack of art director/client interference was because I had to find my own clients up in Scotland in order to find much work at all. That led to me doing everything myself which, in turn, meant that the budget was mine to spend as I thought best for the production. I was never much good at clubs, pubs, joining in, and all that sort of social stuff and so working alone with my wife to help out suited us both perfectly. We weren’t always left alone, but mostly we were able to go away on location without people hanging about.

The best part of the career was certainly the calendar era, if only because the client interface was brief: first meetings around February to discuss the theme and/or possibility of the production; a casting in London to find the models; the shoot during some time in summer, and then the editing and client approval of the final cut for the production with delivery late November/early December (with luck!). That way, there was no reason for living in the northern part of Europe; I also had airline contacts because of my travel brochure stuff and flights were no problem. Speaking of which, in those days, there was a lot of quid pro quo going on in business: flights/hotels in return for magazine credit lines for tourist boards, hotel groups, travel operators etc. the world was alive with industry and cooperation

B.   Broadly, yes, you were right about the career, but like everything else, it had to end with the changing times. That hurts still, today; not just the money but the buzz. The thrill is gone.

C.   Does it matter if the subject is ‘important’? I would say: very, very much! And that’s because of the impact that their status makes on me, the photographer. It’s the reason why the better the model then the better the work you can produce: her perceived value raises your game. It can go the other way, too: I was booked by the Scottish Design Council (regular clients) to shoot pics of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh doing the opening of the Centre’s building in Glasgow, decades ago. I got the shots of them arriving and entering the property, and then when it came to HRH signing the Visitor’s Book, I wasn’t allowed into the room by Security. I walked away and sat down in the PR’s office and waited; in a few minutes there was panic as he came running in looking for me. Together we went back to the little gallery where the ‘signing’ was taking place, just in time to catch a raised pen! So in cases like that, it can go the other way: no time to think of anything different, just save the situation as rapidly as you can, which isn’t a good way to work, IMO.

But with models that didn’t happen; the better they were then the further you could go in following your ideas because they were open to doing what you wanted and, better yet, had a head full of good ideas of their own which wasn’t just a repetition of what they did for everybody else. That’s also why people who shoot a lot often tend to find themselves drawn to using the same model a lot: you both develop a silent language of understanding, of communication, that saves a helluva lot of time and stress, and you already know what not to bother trying.

It’s better than sex. (Perhaps it really is a form of sex!?)

Rob C

ziocan

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 03:53:25 am »

Proof that a good rep makes a career, talent is incidental.
You should have tried to get those as well.
That is so easy!
That is why everybody has a career like Annie....

design_freak

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 04:32:23 am »

I would like to start carving.
Is if I will use the same chisel which Michelangelo, I will be carved as well?
I think that this is not the slightest importance which uses Annie. In this case, it does not matter whether the iPhone, P1, Hassy or Lomo. The most important is an awareness tool.

Best regards,
DF

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 04:47:17 am »

The most important is an awareness tool.

Look for it in CS7  ;D

Kumar

K.C.

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 06:08:55 am »

Do you feel under appreciated? Not getting the respect you believe you deserve? Cutting down someone successful will not help. It is a cheap shot.

But instead of criticizing a fellow photography, why not just get a good rep? That is all it takes. See you in Vanity Fair.

Actually it's your comment that is lame. 'Fellow photographer' ? Yeah we're all just pals hanging out and high fiveing each other here. Right.

I never see anything from AL that suggests anything other than a top production team did their job. Her part is incidental. Scavullo had talent, you knew it was his shot. His setup stayed the same and he worked with the subject. Many talented photographers have shot memorable work for VF that was imbued with their style.

This is a video of AL taking snap shots of lots of famous actors. The assistants setup the lights in the right place, took the meter reading, set the camera and lens and handed it to her. The cards are pulled and post is done by a team. The final images are chosen by an editor and that's a wrap. Everyone in front of the lens did what they do every day, they looked good, they looked famous. You could have shot this job with the same results.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 06:47:19 am »

You could have shot this job with the same results.

Our LL colleague wouldn't be broke.
Annie Leibovitz pawns rights to all future work

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

LKaven

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 07:48:49 am »

Rob, did you ever shoot for Oui magazine?

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 11:18:50 am »

Rob, did you ever shoot for Oui magazine?

No, the only magazine stuff I remember doing was some trips for British Vogue as well as for a variety of county publications for the International Wool Secretariat (IWS) and House of Fraser Group. I would have probably enjoyed magazines except for one thing: I managed to get a name in fashion advertising work and the magazine work came because of that - quite the opposite to the norm, where people usually use the magazines as route to finding advertising work. Unfortunately, I had to make money from photography and magazines actually cost me time and gave next to nothing in return, not even much freedom, in my case. Also, importantly, I lived/worked in Scotland and Vogue was London, and so any spinoff wasn't going to be simple to utilise.

I didn't do magazine glamour at all - it was calendars and stock, and stock didn't seem to like magazine glamour that much and neither, to my surprise, did the model agencies where I found my calendar girls; I got the sense that there was a lot of exploitation going down and the girls didn't like the situations they were sometimes put into. As far as I can understand, the men's pinup magazine world operated on the principle that the photographer came up with girls and suggested them for shoots; to find the right sort meant London, too, so again I was defeated (or saved) by geography. Why didn't I move south? Easy: married with two kids, my comfortable/nice house-with-studio in Glasgow would probably have bought a grim little garage in London. I couldn't do that to the family on a whim, which is what photography has always, to me, seemed to be. I simply never expected it to last as long as it did.

I know a guy in Australia could tell you all about how that glam magazine world operates, but I leave that up to him, if he reads this and feels inclined to comment. I do wish that he would!

Sorry to disappoint!

;-)

Rob

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 11:38:17 am »

Right, but an empty shop with the 1DX showing is very surprising to say the least. This camera is expected by many pros like a monsson rain after a 5 year drought. Such is life.
Eduardo

Eduardo, Edmund didn't say that everybody was actually buying anything in the Leica shop. If there was one next door I'd probably also have a look without the least intention of buying anything.

Though I've been (and still am) a Nikon user since the year dot, I have no interest in walking into a Nikon shop.

Rob C
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up