Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Impossible to use older OSX version on new Macs  (Read 6983 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Impossible to use older OSX version on new Macs
« on: June 17, 2012, 08:19:59 pm »

The gates are closing...

http://www.macworld.com/article/1167280/snow_leopard_mbp.html

Link this piece of news to the new Abode upgrade policy... What happens in 2 years with our perfectly satisfactory 4 years old CS5 license when we need to buy a new mac?

We will know after figuring out whether CS5 runs on Snow Lion or whatever it is called. Assuming CS5 is not compatible, we'll be forced to buy a full license of CS7 just to be able to keep using it...

Cheers,
Bernard

John Nollendorfs

Re: Impossible to use older OSX version on new Macs
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 08:56:41 pm »

Maybe it's time to think about switching over to the "dark side"? ;-)

I did that about 7 years ago when my 3 year old Mac died and they wanted $800 for a new mother board. I bought a cheapie HP with Windows XP and it worked fine with Photoshop. Now, with Windows 7 I'm perfectly at ease. Oh yes, I've upgraded the PC with new motherboard and processor and much beefier power supply. Buying "cheapy" not necessarily a good idea on the PC side.

Just something to think about!

BTW, just got my D800E--Love it! Amazing  picture quality.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 12:07:34 pm »

In two years if you're still using Adobe CS5 software you'll be jonesing for CS 7 anyway no matter what hardware and operating system you are using then.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 12:09:00 pm »

Also the new MAcs ship with the current OS anyway so what would be the point of using an older OS to begin with?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 08:36:04 pm »

Also the new MAcs ship with the current OS anyway so what would be the point of using an older OS to begin with?

The willingness to keep using a perfectly satisfactory CS5 that would not be compatible with the Version of OSX shipping with the new Mac?

I fear that this problem is still little understood.

The fact is that it may induce significant costs for OSX users compared to Win users in the long run.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 09:49:44 pm by BernardLanguillier »

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 10:57:36 pm »

Bernard:
I had been a MAC fanboy since 1984. Back in the early days Macs were significantly easier to use than DOS and the early Windoz. However, with Win7, that has all changed.

Apple has been busy cranking out system upgrades every year and a half for major changes. Sometimes this has been major PITA for users when it comes to printer drivers, and most recently color management. At least these major system changes seem to much less frequent for PC users.

Interesting, as the PC OS has finally caught up with Apple, PC users seem to be defecting in greater numbers. The whole concept of personal computing seems to be in major chaos with the advent of iPads. Of course serious Photoshop/lightroom work does not seem destined for the iPads of the future, unless you want to trust your photos to public cloud computing which doesn't seem to want to protect individual photographer's privacy or rights.

rogan

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 05:15:32 am »

You have never been able to go back to a version made before the computer came out. This is nothing new for apple. The software has to recognize the machine and it's hard for software that was made before the computer was invented to recognize it. If you want to villainize apple as you have already went to PCs, fine, but this is a non story.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 01:30:55 am »

You have never been able to go back to a version made before the computer came out. This is nothing new for apple. The software has to recognize the machine and it's hard for software that was made before the computer was invented to recognize it. If you want to villainize apple as you have already went to PCs, fine, but this is a non story.

Not sure to understand your comment, I am still on Mac with a Mac Pro, MBP and Mac Mini. I would add an iMac if it had not died on me a few months ago. Not all criticism of Apple come from Win users.

Besides, I believe that you are not correct. It used to be possible to install an older version of OSX.

It was by no means straightforward, but it was possible.

Cheers,
Bernard

Farmer

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 07:27:06 am »

Apple is a hardware company, though, so they don't want you using old hardware (which you obviously know :-) ).
Phil Brown

MrSmith

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 10:38:17 am »

hardly a problem when the photoshop6 upgrade is cheap for a working photographer, worth the money too.

i guess it's only a problem for those using cracked software (it's surprising how many photographers are happy to steal software but vocal when their images are stolen)

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 11:10:24 am »

i guess it's only a problem for those using cracked software (it's surprising how many photographers are happy to steal software but vocal when their images are stolen)

LOL. You've made my day sir!

Cheers,
Bernard

rogan

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 06:28:40 pm »

Bernard,
 Try installing a previous version that what came with any of your macs.(I'm not talking 10.5.1 to 10.5.0 but if your mac came with 10.5, try installing 10.0) bet it works less than 2% of the time without a hack.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 06:54:55 pm »

In two years if you're still using Adobe CS5 software you'll be jonesing for CS 7 anyway no matter what hardware and operating system you are using then.

And if history is any indicator, the current OS will not run the newer version anyway so you’ll upgrade the OS. Photoshop CS6 on 10.4 anyone?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 10:00:52 pm »

And if history is any indicator, the current OS will not run the newer version anyway so you’ll upgrade the OS. Photoshop CS6 on 10.4 anyone?

Which is precisely the point. Hence the importance of being able to install an older version of the OS...

Cheers,
Bernard

schrodingerscat

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 01:26:30 pm »

It seems that Apple has made it difficult, if not impossible, to use anything earlier than 10.7 on machines that shipped with it installed, regardless of hardware spec. As I've no interest in the iPad/Phone 'experience', 10.6.8 is going to be where I sit until forced to do otherwise. Recently purchased a refurb 2010 27" iMac with the i7 chipset, however... the latest CPUs in the Mini that shipped with 10.6 are 2010 Core 2 Duos(seems 2010 saw the last of the 10.6 installed products). I keep a Mini on hand for emergency backup and it performs HTCP duties in the meantime. Picked up a '10 Server that I browbeat into accepting a client version of 10.6.8, which gives me two internal drives. I don't use a laptop that much and a '09 SSD Air works fine with SL. LR4 and all my other Apps work fast enough on these systems for my purposes, so will use them until such time new hardware forces my hand. And as Macs chug along for years, who knows what the hardware and software landscape will look like that far down the road.

This sort of situation has always been the case, and not just with Apple products. I keep an old IBM XP laptop due to having to use specific software for my repair business. I'm also working on getting a Nikon Coolscan V up and running and unfortunately the latest OS that seems to work reliably is 10.4, and have been tinkering with a G4 Cube to use as a dedicated machine for it. I haven't worked with Win 7, but have beaten my head against Wintel boxes enough as it is. From what I've seen watching people using it, it's plagued with many of the same things I find maddening with the earlier versions.

lfeagan

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 04:12:07 am »

Not that this is in any way an ideal suggestion, but virtual machines are a good alternative for infrequently used software. I use Windows XP VM with VMware when I have to run utilities that do things like download firmware into devices that have archaic software and hardware support (serial port only, XP and earlier only). Whenever I need to use these sorts of tools I just fire up the VM and am off and running.
Lance

Nikon: D700, D800E, PC-E 24mm f/3.5D ED, PC-E 45mm f/2.8D ED, PC-E 85mm f/2.8D, 50mm f/1.4G, 14-24 f/2.8G ED, 24-70 f/2.8G ED, 70-200 f/2.8G ED VR II, 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
Fuji: X-Pro 1, 14mm f/2.8, 18mm f/2.0, 35mm f/1.4

schrodingerscat

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 02:19:39 pm »

I'm familiar with virtualization solutions to run windows on a Mac. Luckily I only need to use XP infrequently, so dragging out the IBM is no big deal and I prefer to keep the Macs isolated from MS software and dependent apps. Same with PPC specific apps, would rather not have to run Rosetta.
Pages: [1]   Go Up