Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Delete jpegs from raw+jpeg images after import?  (Read 3883 times)

meyerweb

Delete jpegs from raw+jpeg images after import?
« on: June 17, 2012, 02:26:34 pm »

I shot a bunch of pics with the camera set to raw+jpeg, and imported them into LR4.1 without the "treat jpegs as separate files checked." So they all show up in LR with the extension as raw+jpeg.

I don't really need the jpegs at all, and if I had thought of it in time I wouldn't have bothered importing them at all.  What's the best way to delete them from the disk?  I don't see any way to handle the jpegs and raws separately in LR. But I don't know what might happen if I try to delete the jpegs from within Windows. I don't want to break the catalog data.

Any thoughts?  Many thanks.

Simon Garrett

Re: Delete jpegs from raw+jpeg images after import?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 03:00:34 pm »

I think that without setting "treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" LR effectively ignores the jpeg.  When you go to a folder in LR, it will tell you if it sees jpegs (by the "raw+jpeg" message), but I think they're not actually in the catalog. 

If that's right, you can probably just delete the jpegs (in Windows Explorer or Mac Finder) and LR won't mind. 

However, just as a check, I'd try deleting one or two, see what LR does, and if all hell breaks loose then you can always restore them. 

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 03:26:41 pm »

Lightroom won't mind, but I suspect it'll still show the Raw+JPEG indicator. If you've not done too much with the raw files, you could CtrlS/CmdS, then remove them, delete the JPEGs and sync the folder.

meyerweb

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 03:49:35 pm »

I don't really care whether LR shows the raw+jpeg label or not, but I haven't done any editing of most of the images yet, so maybe I will resync them just to keep things clean.

Many thanks Simon and John.

JeanMichel

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 03:57:55 pm »

Hi,
I did that once too. If I remember correctly, all I had to do was to filter (in library) for 'file type' select jpg, and then delete the files from disk.
Jean-Michel

johnha

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 10:54:01 pm »

I actually figured this out today.  After you check the option for "treat jpegs as separate files" checked, right-click on the folder of images in question and Synchronize. It should then import all of the jpgs as separate entities in the Lr catalog.  Then filter by filetype jpg and delete.

John

meyerweb

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 08:12:09 am »

Thanks John. It didn't occur to me the "treat jpegs as separate" would have an effect after the initial import.

johnha

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 09:47:32 am »

Yes, I didn't think so either. But I stumbled across this trick by sheer luck. I hope it helps.

birdpatch

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 11:46:44 am »

But, if I imported them as "joined files", for lack of a better work, is there any way to access the jpg and dng files separately so that I can compare them?  I'm a new user using LR4 on a MAC.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 01:01:40 pm »

But, if I imported them as "joined files", for lack of a better work, is there any way to access the jpg and dng files separately so that I can compare them?  I'm a new user using LR4 on a MAC.

Make two smart collections. You could build it to find only JPEGs/DNGs and within a specific date (use Capture Date).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up