Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best RIP for the Canon IPF9100  (Read 4140 times)

Robert Good

Best RIP for the Canon IPF9100
« on: June 17, 2012, 10:42:54 am »

Complete novice here regarding RIP Software. ???
Are there any suggestions on a RIP package for the IPF9100 and Windows 7 64.
Canon has a list of preferred providers but I am totally lost on what I need.

I use illustrator heavily for printing / print layout. Vector and Raster
Mostly signage and canvas prints.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:10:50 am by Robert Good »

Robert Good

Re: Best RIP for the Canon IPF9100
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 09:59:19 am »

I may be asking this question in the wrong forum.  ???

Malcolm Payne

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 10:39:01 am »

Hi Robert,

If it's any help, I use ColorGATE ProductionServer7 (www.colorgate.com) on my iPF8300 and have been generally happy with the software since v4, though it continues to improve with every version. I print almost exclusively fine art reproductions and canvasses, with occasional posters, photos and other miscellaneous stuff. You should be able to download a demo version from their website, I think.

I hadn't replied previously as I'm sure there are other members here with far more in-depth knowledge of alternative RIPs, but please PM me if you would like to discuss in more detail.

Regards,

Malcolm

aaronchan

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 10:55:31 am »

I personlly ergo soft poster print, it is super easy to setup for the printing env. Color gate is good too but the price might be a bit higher than ergo soft.

Aaron

Robert Good

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 03:30:38 pm »

Thank you for the replies. I just spoke with Ergo Soft in regards to their offerings
I am basically looking at $7,150 for their Poster Print software package <ikes!!!>
But in about three months I can get the same product for $3,600 per upcoming price cuts <still ikes!!>

I own a pretty small shop and these prices... well ikes says it all.

I was guessing I could find something at or under $1,500.
Am I delusional??

Malcolm Payne

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 04:09:17 pm »

Possibly.  :) 'RIP' and 'cheap' are two words that rarely occur in the same sentence ...

For what it's worth, ColorGATE offers a vast range of options and modules (I'm told their dealer price list runs to 32 pages and even the dealers struggle to make sense of it!), but they do have a couple of 'starter' editions that might be a little nearer the mark:

PS7 Select, from Eur. 1295
http://www.colorgate.com/en/rip-software/rip-software/productionserver-7/detailview.html?prd=ps7select

and

PS7 Canon Edition, from Eur. 1995
http://www.colorgate.com/en/rip-software/rip-software/productionserver-7/detailview.html?prd=ps7select_canon

I've no idea how they price these in $ but, at today's exchange rates, those prices equate to approx. $1650 and $2550 respectively.

There's an interactive selection form on their site that will suggest the most suitable version based on the requirements you tick:
http://www.colorgate.com/en/rip-software/requirements-check.html

Hope that's of some help.

(I have no connection with, or financial interest in, ColorGATE, other than as a satisfied user of their software for the past ten years or so.)

Regards,

Robert Good

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 09:49:57 am »

Thank you for all the responses.
I think I will have to wait to go the RIP Route.

Until then, I converted my production technique to print thru Photoshop. Its not the ideal solution, but it will do.
I have found that the throughput of large files to the IPF9100 is very quick. I had ASSUMED that it would take a lot of time to transfer large files for printing. Boy was I wrong.

Thanks again for all the responses!!!

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 10:33:16 am »

I think it's really important that you spell out what you are looking for in a RIP. Is it nesting, tiling, layout, advanced Postscript rendering, custom ink limiting, etc? People are often very quick to jump to using a RIP because they think it will improve their quality without knowing much about it.

Illustrator actually has a built in RIP that's really good and can print to any printer with a driver. It's fast and does a great job. And today's driver offer incredible built in linearization that you can profile on top of. It's actually difficult to get as-good results from a RIP! And this is coming from someone who's been making a living, in part, by traveling around the country helping people setup RIPs  for over 2 decades.

Printing to the 9100 from Ill *is* fast isn't it? And super high quality, especially when the color management is dialed in properly. Sounds like you've saved yourself from a big, expensive headache. Should you need further PS rendering and or nesting capabilities ImageNest or Overdrive Layout are two notable options to consider.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Robert Good

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 10:43:30 am »

Onsight,
The main issue I am having printing from Illustrator to the IPF9100 is smooth gradient transitions.
If you have a Gradient with variations of the same color over a certain amount of distance you get banding.
Also My text objects have the jaggies. There are settings within Illustrator (CS6) to rasterize your objects or to anti-alias objects or text for better results. With some messing around I was not happy with those results.

By converting to a TIF and printing thru the Canon plugin thru photoshop, it fixed the gradient and the jaggie issues.

ImageNest and Overdrive are MAC based products. Any suggestions for Windows 7 64

Thank you for the insight Onsight.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 10:47:10 am by Robert Good »

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 11:23:20 am »

Illustrater gets a little clunky here. The default documents are CMYK but you can make new documents in an RGB color mode which can help with the gradient issues. Keeping all your elements in the same color mode is a good idea. And it sounds like you're on the right track playing with the Document Raster Effects Settings and higher resolutions.

Of course, RIP to a TIFF and print from PSD is a common, easy to remember, failsafe method that works all the time. Glad you've found that. Do what you seems right for your workflow. Sounds like if you're using IL for layout and don't need a RIP.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 11:36:45 am »

By converting to a TIF and printing thru the Canon plugin thru photoshop, it fixed the gradient and the jaggie issues.

A little Gaussian noise helps too.

Check Qimage Ultimate for nesting images on wider rolls etc and more featues that are not even avaliable in RIPs. It can use the normal Windows drivers but not the Canon plug-in.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

340+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
update april 2012: Harman by Hahnemühle, Innova IFA45 and more

Pages: [1]   Go Up