Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: gps coordinates lost during import into LR4.1  (Read 1267 times)

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
gps coordinates lost during import into LR4.1
« on: June 17, 2012, 03:22:18 am »

I took a trip yesterday and wanted to tag my images with gps data.  I used my Samsung Galaxy 8.9 tablet's camera to record gps info by taking a shot at each location.  The gps data is in the jpegs.  I copied the images into my folder containing the images from my camera. I can use Photo GPS Extractor to view the image's location on Google Maps.  The image location is also indicated on Google maps when viewing on the tablet.  But, when I synchronise the folder to add the images to the Lightroom Library, the gps info is no longer available.  The gps info is not available to ANY program after synchronising the folder in Lightroom.  It seems as if Lightroom is removing that info from the metadata.

I have Googled the problem for the past day and can not find any information.  If anyone can provide info, a solution, or point me in the right direction, it will be greatly appreciated.

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
Re: gps coordinates lost during import into LR4.1
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 02:01:20 pm »

Adobe Technical support got me straightened out after several hours of chat time spread over two days.  The solution was to delete the preferences folder and restart Lightroom.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 02:11:26 pm »

Using your phone to output a gpx file with time range that matches your image time stamps is a much easier way to handle this process.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 02:51:55 pm »

Using your phone to output a gpx file with time range that matches your image time stamps is a much easier way to handle this process.

My phone does not have this ability. 

I have a few apps on my tablet that can do this.  And, this was my original intention during this trip.  But, like a lot of things the first time you use them, things do not go as expected.  New tablet, new apps etc....operator FAILURE!  LOL. 

But, as it turns out, the fix that I mentioned above in the previous post actually did not solve the problem as I thought it did.  But, I did stumble on the solution on my own.  In my metadata preset that I use when importing images had gps checked and the field blank.  I am sure I checked this, but I have no reason as to why I would have done that.  The box is unchecked now, and the preset saved with the new settings, and the gps info is left in the metadata.

Thanks for responding though. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up