Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MacBook Pro Retina - 3 Questions  (Read 3805 times)

jvora

MacBook Pro Retina - 3 Questions
« on: June 16, 2012, 07:10:04 am »

Hello :

I have 3 questions pertaining to the new MacBook Pro Retina -

1. Can SSD Hard Drives be Partitioned ?

2. If the need arises, can the mentioned computer be booted from an external FireWire Hard Drive ( i.e. Non-SSD ) ?

3. If I am not mistaken, there is no 3.5mm Audio-In socket - Thus how can one input audio, via Thunderbolt ?

WIll appreciate if the above questions can be answered.

Thanks,

Jai

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
Re: MacBook Pro Retina - 3 Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 08:11:01 am »

Hello :

I have 3 questions pertaining to the new MacBook Pro Retina -

1. Can SSD Hard Drives be Partitioned ?

2. If the need arises, can the mentioned computer be booted from an external FireWire Hard Drive ( i.e. Non-SSD ) ?

3. If I am not mistaken, there is no 3.5mm Audio-In socket - Thus how can one input audio, via Thunderbolt ?

WIll appreciate if the above questions can be answered.

Thanks,

Jai

Jai,

I just received the new MacBook Pro with Retina Display yesterday morning 2.6 GHz with 16 GB of Ram.
Remember when ordering if you want more then 8GB of ram you need to get when ordering because it is soldered to the logic board.

Really unable to answer your questions at this time except the fact this new system has no Firewire port.
You need to purchase a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter which I think costs around $29.00.
Not sure if they are even on the market yet.
Now it does have USB 3 ports which is supposed to be faster then Firewire, except to the fact I have been having issues.
I have only been able to run at the USB 2.0 speed even though I have USB 3.0 portable hard drives.

Overall the system is great except for this USB 3.0 issue I am having.

Stu

jvora

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 09:41:34 am »

Hello Stuart :

Congratulations on your purchase - Great !!

Yes, I do understand that a Thunderbolt to FireWire cord needs to be purchased and thus wanted to learn if using such a cord would permit a FireWire HDD ( non- SSD ) to be used as boot-up drive for this computer if the need arose.

As this model is ONLY available with the glass screen, wish to learn how reflective it is - Any possibility to calibrate this monitor using a Pro Calibration "Eye" ?

Thanks,

Jai

StuartOnline

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 05:56:49 pm »

Jai

I have the X-rite i1 but have not yet tried using it with this new system with the Retina Display.

On another note I just got off the phone after spending a good hour with the Tech people at Apple.
Trying to figure out why the USB 3 external Hard Drives are only showing USB 2 rating 480/MB sec.
In fact I was even moved up to higher up Techs trying to resolve this issue.
They are working on it now and will be getting back to me. Hopefully soon.
Not to many have this new MacBook with the Retina Display so I was one of the first to contact them.

Stu

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 06:09:13 pm »

This is probably what you need when it arrives.  There are plenty of USB line in adapters out, I don't think there are Firewire Thunderbolt Adapters out. http://www.belkin.com/thunderbolt/

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 06:10:13 pm »

And yes you can partition an SSD but there is no physical point in doing so, like a HDD.

StuartOnline

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 06:50:23 pm »

This is probably what you need when it arrives.  There are plenty of USB line in adapters out, I don't think there are Firewire Thunderbolt Adapters out. http://www.belkin.com/thunderbolt/

This hub looks pretty interesting. I think in time we will be seeing all sorts of neat stuff for the Thunderbolt. Prices should start to come down soon.

LGeb

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 11:53:02 pm »

Mine arrived yesterday.

The headphone jack seems to support the iPhone headphone with mic. The Mic is mono, but is picked up by the system. I imagine you could get a splitter to allow you to use your own mic, but I'm not sure if stereo would be supported. A USB audio breakout box might be a better option.

Yes, you could partition the SSD. Yes you can boot from an external USB or Thunderbolt drive, but I don't know about Firewire (assuming the correct adapter).

jvora

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 02:19:53 am »

Thank you ALL for your kind replies - It certainly helps !

Jai
Pages: [1]   Go Up