Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Workflow question  (Read 3704 times)

Andrew Makiejewski

• Photography by Andrzej Stefan Makiejewski
Lightroom Workflow question
« on: June 15, 2012, 08:36:14 pm »

Well I am reworking my workflow in Lightroom. I use to do so much in lightroom, then export a PSD to a working folder. To the rest of the processing and save a jpg or tiff  depending on the usage. Now I am starting to select edit in PS from within Lightroom and end up with a tiff that shows up in the library next to the RAW file.

So now I select edit in PS from within Lightroom the TIFF file. Then resize, sharpen and so on, then save as a jpeg. The jpeg goes to the folder, but the jpg image is not showing up in Lightroom. I have to select the folder and sync it. Am I doing something wrong, or do I have to keep syncing the folder. From all that I have read, the jpg should appear next to the TIF and RAW files.

I select "Edit Original" from the pop-up menu.

Thanks.

Andrew
Capture the moment.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Re: Lightroom Workflow question
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 09:07:36 pm »

I'm not even remotely a Lightroom expert, but I think you need to just hit Save in Photoshop, which will save back another TIFF file called xxxx-Edit2.tif, which is your sized and sharpened file and shows up automatically in LR. Then in LR you would Export a JPEG file.

Also, I am finding it easier to just Export the JPEG directly from LR and make my sizing and sharpening from within Lightroom. Being able to save Export Presets makes my life a lot easier and faster.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Rand47

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 09:13:32 pm »

In watching the LULA tutorials the conventional wisdom seems to be that one would do as much final processing as possible in LR (including NR & capture & creative sharpening) prior to any needed pixel level work in PS and the resulting returned tiff.  Output sharpening will depend on use.   That's my current workflow.  I also simply export from LR in whatever form needed, or print from LR w/ it's great on-the-fly res & output sharpening.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 09:19:44 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 01:31:54 am »

PS should be treated as a round trip editing tool, never the end.  JPGs are now only created through LR export as mentioned above. Edit in PS, it creates the TIF, you do what you do and simply save/close the file in PS.  When you want a JPG you export that TIF from LR.  JPGs do not get entered in to the catalog.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 03:24:44 am »

Personally I find LR is usually better than PS for things LR can do.  So resize, sharpen etc I do in LR.  I use PS only for things requiring complex selections, complex layer operations, major use of clone or heal, combining images etc.  But as other say, that's a round tri: "Save" in PS (not "Save As") so it's saved as a TIF and stacked with the original in LR.  Final output (print, export, create web site etc) I do in LR. 

stamper

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 03:39:49 am »

Personally I don't think that creative sharpening in LR is a good thing if you intend to go to PS. Is it not best to leave it till the very end?

Simon Garrett

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 04:00:06 am »

Personally I don't think that creative sharpening in LR is a good thing if you intend to go to PS. Is it not best to leave it till the very end?
For me, LR is the very end!  I edit in LR, then PS if needed, and back to LR for output processing including any necessary sharpening.  I'm not saying that's the best possible workflow, it's just my workflow. 

stamper

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 04:38:30 am »

If you sharpen an image and then make changes in contrast - most edits creates contrast or lessens it - then the sharpening is affected, especially creative sharpening?

ario

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 04:54:59 am »

Well I am reworking my workflow in Lightroom. I use to do so much in lightroom, then export a PSD to a working folder. To the rest of the processing and save a jpg or tiff  depending on the usage. Now I am starting to select edit in PS from within Lightroom and end up with a tiff that shows up in the library next to the RAW file.

So now I select edit in PS from within Lightroom the TIFF file. Then resize, sharpen and so on, then save as a jpeg. The jpeg goes to the folder, but the jpg image is not showing up in Lightroom. I have to select the folder and sync it. Am I doing something wrong, or do I have to keep syncing the folder. From all that I have read, the jpg should appear next to the TIF and RAW files.

I select "Edit Original" from the pop-up menu.

Thanks.

Andrew
I am afraid but the external editor option do not include the jpeg as file format. But there is a workaround: you have to create an export preset going to the export dialog, defining the export parameters such as location (same file as origin), name, filetype, size,..., checking the option "add to this catalog" and, most important, at the end of the panel select Open in Adobe CS6 in the Post Processing/After Export drop down menu, save the preset with an appropriate name, close the export dialog and is done.

Andrew Makiejewski

• Photography by Andrzej Stefan Makiejewski
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 09:10:49 pm »

Thanks to all for your replies.

I guess there was a one time fluke. Did my edits in LR, selected edit in PS from menu. Did what I needed to in PS and saved. Re-sized and sharpened for web use and did a Save As in PS and exited. When I looked in LR it showed both the TIFF and JPEG next to the RAW file. I tried to re-create, but could not.

The other part of my old workflow which I did not like was when I chose to Sync the folder in LR, the keywords that were in the images came back in as individual words. I have a very hierarchical setup for my keywords.

Always something to learn.

Andrew
Capture the moment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up