Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sample images, finally!  (Read 8847 times)

Pics2

Sample images, finally!
« on: June 15, 2012, 09:20:27 am »

It was not long time ago that I asked people here to send me sample images, so I could decide on the digital back. I find sample images the most important in making decision on the back. And it was so hard to find them.
I have no idea why sample images were so hard to find on the net.
Finally, Hasselblad change that. Congratulations to them! I hope the others follow.
http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions/sample-file-images.aspx
I use D800E in the meantime. And no, D800E is not even close to H4D 60. I can see that now for myself. I think all those comparisons of D800 and IQ180 are ridiculous.

jeremypayne

Re: Sample images, finally!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 10:00:36 am »

I think all those comparisons of D800 and IQ180 are ridiculous.

Not if you understand what people are saying.

torger

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 01:23:48 pm »

Really nice set of sample images!

design_freak

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 01:43:54 pm »

Yes, but add raw files it is not stupid idea  ;)
Best regards,
DF

torger

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 04:05:01 am »

Yes, but add raw files it is not stupid idea  ;)

Ah, oh well yes that would have been nice. But I understand why the don't. Hasselblad adds digital correction to their lenses as a part of their system, so in the raw file you'd see the uncorrected result. Here they want to show what result you get with their system using proper post-processing.

design_freak

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 05:41:13 am »

Ah, oh well yes that would have been nice. But I understand why the don't. Hasselblad adds digital correction to their lenses as a part of their system, so in the raw file you'd see the uncorrected result. Here they want to show what result you get with their system using proper post-processing.

I think the company has no reason to worry about the quality of these files. It would be a phenomenal advantage for them. Maybe someone will read it and come to the same conclusion and put the raw files  ::)
Best regards,
DF

drevil

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 10:52:30 pm »

actually i think that sample images are quite unnecessary
i trust my self made samples much more.

a very good example for this are the sample images provided by canon, which are mostly ridiculously bad.

so i think its safer to test a camera first hand

S@W

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 07:41:03 am »

I use D800E in the meantime. And no, D800E is not even close to H4D 60. I can see that now for myself. I think all those comparisons of D800 and IQ180 are ridiculous.

Speaking about Capture 1:
The IQ180 files look wonderful once they appear on screen - if the shot have been properly exposed.
Adapting some of the many available settings is often not necessary. I'm using presets choosen at import stage of the files from the card to C1 and then quickly modify some manually, essentially for creative purpose.
It's another story when importing D800 files in C1. Some pictures just look good with my own created presets (still to work on them) but other pictures do still need heavy modifications.

Just saying that IMHO one can easily be biased when making IQ180 vs D800 comparison if the raw development stage is not well done for both cameras. I don't think that 1 or 2 days are enough for being able to handle D800 well in its preferred raw developer. Bringing bias in the comparison.

Shooting the same scene with both systems and developping the D800 files to look like the IQ180 ones is a valuable exercice.
Sometimes it's surprinsing how close both files look can have.

IQ180 files still are more dense, full of details, natural, colourfull - but how much more ? not that much

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 03:59:25 pm »

Remarkably little difference between them - although I note that the different crop factors mean that a like-for-like comparison in terms of resolution will favour the smaller sensors at 100% (note the Architecture example)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 04:01:40 pm by Quentin »
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

FredBGG

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 02:09:43 am »

Am I missing something here????

Smooth skin tones are beautifully achieved with Hasselblad cameras while picking up on the finest details in texture and clothing.

and then the samples are of a a quite pretty lady with nasty pasty foundation and powdery makeup on.

There are no skin tones to be seen in this image.

Pingang

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 02:35:53 am »

actually i think that sample images are quite unnecessary
i trust my self made samples much more.

a very good example for this are the sample images provided by canon, which are mostly ridiculously bad.

so i think its safer to test a camera first hand
Me too but then considering probably most existing and new users of medium format digital are in fact not professionals which typically know better of producing nice original raws, this is not a bad idea because it won't appeal to those who has known and seen but those who believe the quality of camera matters a lot for the improvement of photography.

Pingang

Professional

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 01:11:46 am »

Well, where i can post RAW samples from my Hasselblad? Will there be some people interested in my RAW samples?

Pics2

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 09:47:11 am »

Well, where i can post RAW samples from my Hasselblad? Will there be some people interested in my RAW samples?
I'm always interested to see raw files from medium format, since I haven't made up my mind yet on MF system. Maybe you can upload it to a file sharing service.
Thanks in advance!

Professional

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 10:02:08 am »

I can do that, but most file sharing services going weird these days, also i am not sure if my shots will made it for you, here are many genius shooters who can sold your mind or blow away your mind, not sure if i should upload my MFD shot in all cases then.

mobius32

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 09:50:50 pm »

It was not long time ago that I asked people here to send me sample images, so I could decide on the digital back. I find sample images the most important in making decision on the back. And it was so hard to find them.
I have no idea why sample images were so hard to find on the net.
Finally, Hasselblad change that. Congratulations to them! I hope the others follow.
http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions/sample-file-images.aspx

Hello:

Did you print out some of these images or solely view them on screen?  I don't have a MF nor D800 ... but, on my Epson 4900, I printed a few 16x20s (actual image size) of these Hasselblad samples. I do have a profile made for the specific paper/ink combination I used, but otherwise I simply downloaded and printed. When I examine the image of the woman leaning back, well, it looks a lot "better" than what I've printed using my D700.  Now, I like my D700 and think/thought that I make/made some nice prints from it; but the Hasselblad sample feels more 3D-like ... not 3D-like when you're using an 1.4 or 1.2 lens ... but the image seemed fuller, more substantive, less flat.  Now, one of the Hasselblad examples is of a city scene; it too is full of detail but it didn't strike me as being as "full" as the shot of the model (but this might be due to the subject and angle of the shot etc).  Still, I can now see what some people mean when they say that the resolution is not as meaningful as tonality (or similar terms)(but the resolution is meaningful).  It's hard for me to just look at files on-line and make certain judgments; I like to print, so I'm very interested in the print results that are achieved from these cameras.  The next thing I need to do is search for a comparable D800 file and print it and see what I think it looks like. If I find that the D800 prints very, very similarly to the Hasselblad samples then I'd get one, for certain.  Otherwise, I better hit the lottery!

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 01:47:54 am »

We update this page from time to time
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Pics2

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 04:36:06 am »

Yair, that's nice and useful page, too. Thank you for the update. I didn't know there were new files there.
Mobius, I don't print much on my own, unfortunately. Most of the time the file goes to print elsewhere. But, we can never know if these files were straight from the camera.

mobius32

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 06:31:00 am »

Mobius, I don't print much on my own, unfortunately. Most of the time the file goes to print elsewhere. But, we can never know if these files were straight from the camera.

Thanks, Pics2.

mobius32

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 06:38:19 am »

We update this page from time to time

Thank you, Yair.
Pages: [1]   Go Up