Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Children's Pool, LA Jolla, CA  (Read 7422 times)

James Clark

The Children's Pool, LA Jolla, CA
« on: June 13, 2012, 06:35:28 pm »

One day, when I grow up, I want to be like Michael Kenna ;)

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 06:37:46 pm by James Clark »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: The Children's Pool, LA Jolla, CA
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 06:37:38 pm »

Nice idea. A little bit too contrasty for my taste, i.e., almost blown out sky, yet still no detail in the pier (?) shadows.

James Clark

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 06:40:09 pm »

Thanks - I don't necessarily disagree with your comment, but I found that I liked more drama in the extremes of this shot.  That said, I've tried processing it in about 15 different ways, and a less abstract treatment of it does have some merits...

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 06:46:14 pm »

Perhaps try bringing more drama to the sky as well then? I mean doing it low-key might work, and doing it high-key (opening shadows) might work, but what you have here is neither low-key nor high-key. Not criticizing, just observing. btw.

James Clark

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 06:48:25 pm »

Perhaps try bringing more drama to the sky as well then? I mean doing it low-key might work, and doing it high-key (opening shadows) might work, but what you have here is neither low-key nor high-key. Not criticizing, just observing. btw.

No offense taken.  It's a fair observation and something to think about.  Thanks for the input :)

Tony Jay

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 08:22:44 pm »

James you clearly have an image capture of exceptional promise.
You mention that you have postprocessed this image in many different ways already.

My advice is not to rush this process in the sense that I would come back to the original RAW file few months or so and treat it differently.
After time you may find that your thoughts and intent crystallize and allow an intersection with your postprocessing capabilities to produce a really exceptional image.

The raw (pardon the pun) material in the RAW capture is clearly there and the message and intent in your mind will emerge - time will be the key.

Regards

Tony Jay

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 01:31:24 pm »

James

I'm going to be a dissenting voice here and say that I love it just the way it is. Often your first thoughts are the correct ones - many times, the more you play with it, the worse it gets.

There is absolutely nothing wrong (in my book) with blown-out skies or black shadows. How does the world really look to you on a bright day, looking straight into the light? Just like this (unless you are wearing very dark glasses, of course). All you need, and you have got it, just, is solid corners to the frame.

This is a great piece of really imaginative composition. Bravo!

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 03:38:48 pm »

I'm rather on John's side. I pretty much like it the way it is. My only gripe, and this is a personal preference, is that the corners of the sky are a bit too far apart, tonality-wise. If it were my photo (again, personal preference), I'd lighten the upper left a bit, and darken the upper right, just a little, to give the sky a bit more consistency of tone and strengthen the upper right corner.

Did I mention that was personal preference?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 03:40:24 pm by ckimmerle »
"The real voyage of discove

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 04:57:32 pm »

I'm with John and Chuck, including Chuck's suggested tweaks. I love the image.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

James Clark

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 05:21:45 pm »

Thanks so much.  Really appreciate the thoughtful consideration from everyone all around!

GuzziRob

• Alpinist Photography
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 05:52:17 pm »

I also love this the way it is.  I think that too often we can get caught up in whether a photograph is technically perfect - but that is only a concept that means something to another photographer.  If we move away from such constraints and start to look at the resultant work as an art piece then it is more about the feel of the finished piece, and that is where this photograph really comes into it's own.

There is a real feeling of serenity about this picture which I love.  It is a bit bleak, a bit cold feeling, but it reminds me of happy times spent on the coast in contemplation.  Yes it could be processed differently, but I feel if it lost that wistful element then it wouldn't necessarily have the same emotional response.

Kerry L

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 08:12:01 am »

This is a great image. Well conceived and executed.

No doubt some would tweak the levels of the sky area and likely try to bring out more detail in the sea wall. Would it be an improvement, maybe ..... maybe not. These comments are why you can here right?

This is your vision. I like it.
"Try and let your mind see more than you

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 01:23:34 am »

Yep certainly has overtones of the Mr Kenna. I like the challenging comp the long exposure essentially high key image which is ''off the beaten track''.... Your choice of merging (or not separating) tones wont suit everyone, the sky closely resembling the sea likely the main sticking point for some?

A Bold unusual image....which i for one like.
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

Matt Tilghman

• MattTilghman.com
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 02:42:38 pm »

I quite like it as is!
Check out my gallery and photoshop blog:  www.MattTilghman.com

James Clark

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 09:33:31 am »

I continue to appreciate all the comments and insight - pro as well as con.  I haven't been posting here long, but the "flavor" here is great. Thanks everyone!

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 03:51:02 am »

I like it as it is: I like the blurred people, and the non-blurred too, I like the dark areas and the skies, and I also like the composition; personally, I do not think there are any "technical imperfections" in this picture, it all looks like your personal style to me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up