Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Savanna Sunset  (Read 1130 times)

Matt Tilghman

• MattTilghman.com
Savanna Sunset
« on: June 13, 2012, 02:49:34 pm »

The word "savanna" is often associated with Africa. But by its literal definition -- a temperate grassland scattered with trees where rainfall is seasonal -- savannas can be found many other places, especially California. This savanna is in the North Table Mountain Ecological Preserve, near Chico. This photo is taken in late spring, at perhaps the peak of green-ness. The seasonal rainfall is about to stop for good, after which it will only take a few weeks for the hot sun to turn this entire area a dry shade of gold. But for these few precious months, the area feels like a lush slice of paradise.

This is a bit more simple than my usual photographs, but I still like it.  It makes me feel calm, perhaps because it reminds me of being there, and the place was just so serene.  Hope you like it!

Larger Version
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 03:05:14 pm by Matt Tilghman »
Check out my gallery and photoshop blog:  www.MattTilghman.com

Isaac

Re: Savanna Sunset
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 11:43:48 am »

Is North Table Mountain Ecological Preserve open to public access, or restricted, or ...?

I've had a look around for information but didn't find anything that convinced me it would be okay to just drive up there and wander around ;-)

Matt Tilghman

• MattTilghman.com
Re: Savanna Sunset
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 12:48:39 pm »

Hey Isaac!

Of all the places that one can just "wander around", this one is the MOST ok to just wander around!  There are not even any trails! (which is both a good and a bad thing, at times), but yea you are just supposed to go wander around wherever you want.  At the base of phantom falls (which is definitely not flowing anymore, only flows in the wet season), there is a cave, and in the back of that cave there's an abandoned gold mine shaft.  They even say "please be careful because this is dangerous", but don't care if you explore it!.

It's a truly amazing place, I've only been there once but I'm already in love, but the time I want was the exact perfect time of year.  I'm not sure if it would be as enchanting in summer.  It will likely be unbearably hot up until the sun sets.
Check out my gallery and photoshop blog:  www.MattTilghman.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up