Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flying  (Read 2206 times)

Mcthecat

• mickwatsonphotography
Flying
« on: June 13, 2012, 01:54:47 pm »

If any of you guys go on long haul, come back home and begin to feel unwell, please remember to go to see the doc and remind him in the most forcefull way "ive been on a long haul flight". Dont let him fob you off. Because if you do, you to could be sitting in front of your pc typing to this web site with a lung full of fluid and a blood clot having just injected yourself in the stomache with anti clotting drugs lucky to be alive as the clot hadnt snapped of and travelled to your brain or heart. Few, im so lucky, sort of.

Remember, long haul flights, feel unwell, blood clots. Thought id better pass on this as i know a lot do travel to places on long haul for the photography.

Mick

John E

Re: Flying
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 02:52:09 pm »

I'm glad they caught you in time, Mick, and hope you fully recover. Spoken as one who has had experience with a blood clot, that didn't turn out so well. And, as I'm considering a 7.5 hour flight to Iceland sometime in the future, good advice as wel.

John

Mcthecat

• mickwatsonphotography
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 03:33:50 pm »

Thanks John, sorry to hear it didnt go so well and you recover fully with time. I honestly never knew how serious they were until my CT today. Docs missed the symptoms initially and by shere luck found it after my lung filled up. Pulmonary Embolism i think it was. Ive had this time bomb in my lung for ages. Any ideas about the Iceland trip? Surly theres some meds you can take. My brother takes his with him and if he feels a clot takes them immediatly and seeks help. Im in the same way. Planning a trip to Finland. Now who knows.

Mick

John E

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 03:55:45 pm »

Well, I imagine the rat poison (i.e. anti-caogulation medication) that I'm on permanently ought to do the trick. And, I've heard that it's always a good idea to get up and move about on long flights, just to avoid possible clotting. Don't worry 'bout me, tho. At 62 I'm an ornery old buzzard, and I expect to live long enough to become an even more cantankerous old so-and-so. Maybe someday I'll even get old and ornery enough to be able to yell "Hey, you kids, get off my lawn!!"  ;D

John

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 04:24:34 am »

Well, I imagine the rat poison (i.e. anti-caogulation medication) that I'm on permanently ought to do the trick. And, I've heard that it's always a good idea to get up and move about on long flights, just to avoid possible clotting. Don't worry 'bout me, tho. At 62 I'm an ornery old buzzard, and I expect to live long enough to become an even more cantankerous old so-and-so. Maybe someday I'll even get old and ornery enough to be able to yell "Hey, you kids, get off my lawn!!"  ;DJohn

No, at 62 you're still a fledgeling buzzard; my first heart event came with the pension.

Regarding yelling at the brats on the lawn: don't. That's why I refused to stand for Community Pressy again after years of holding the fort for all those absent owners who want to pay nothing but expect pristine gardens and everything working to perfection when they come here on holiday. I had that very kid experience, followed by abusive tattooed parental interest (same parents now unable/unwiling to pay their share of the community painting bill) that had my faulty heart racing again. I realised there and then that nothing to do with community property was worth dying for and that's why I now have as little to do with the community process as I can.

I shall never have another long flight - I hated them even years before I had any problem with health but was obliged to make them for work. It isn't about fear of aircraft, it's all about the mind feeling itself go mad with the confinement and lack of personal liberty. One of my best experiences was flying south from the UK over the length of France on a very clear day; it was beautiful to see so much and to try and spot any of the routes/places we'd driven through on car trips. Also delightful to see other aircraft flying way down below us. But that's a short flight.

But don't forget: sitting at the computer for hours working on pictures is just as dangerous - I fear it all the time and feel the legs go numb after a few simple images. As for composing posts (it's always plural) to LuLa...!

Rob C

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 05:37:05 am »

Thanks John, sorry to hear it didnt go so well and you recover fully with time. I honestly never knew how serious they were until my CT today. Docs missed the symptoms initially and by shere luck found it after my lung filled up. Pulmonary Embolism i think it was. Ive had this time bomb in my lung for ages. Any ideas about the Iceland trip? Surly theres some meds you can take. My brother takes his with him and if he feels a clot takes them immediatly and seeks help. Im in the same way. Planning a trip to Finland. Now who knows.

Mick
Yep..PE's aren't much fun at all and injections into the tummy are horrid and hurt and bruise. My stomach was so bruised after 3 months even the doc couldn't find a clear spot to inject. Hideous!!.. so... compression stockings; be well hydrated...keep walking up the isle, and yes if you have any chest pain when you inhale deeply after a long haul flight.... see the doc immediatley!

Julie

Tony Jay

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 07:24:22 am »

If I may be so bold to advise.

When on a long-haul flight:
1. Drink plenty of fluids.
2. Do not drink acohol (this will dehydrate you).
3. Get up and move around in the cabin regularly (every hour is good) - following #1 will result in the need for frequent trips to the loo.
4. Swollen painful calves or legs, chest pain, palpitations, dizziness, or shortness of breath get medical attention quicksmart.
5. When speaking to medical personnel use the words deep vein thrombosis and/or pulmonary embolus explicitly apart from mentioning the long-haul flight - leave nothing to chance.
6. If other blood relatives have had this issue in the past consider getting checked out before flying since in fact susceptibility to thrombosis has a very strong familial tendency - suggest to the GP to do a "thrombophilia screen".

Check out all this information from other independent sources. Don't just take my word for it.
I am well qualified to speak on these issues but as I said - don't just take my word for it.

Regards

Tony Jay

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 08:34:58 am »

... But don't forget: sitting at the computer for hours working on pictures is just as dangerous - I fear it all the time and feel the legs go numb after a few simple images...

Ah, I finally understand the advice to ditch zooms, and use primes and "zoom" with your feet instead! ;)

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 10:16:52 am »

Ah, I finally understand the advice to ditch zooms, and use primes and "zoom" with your feet instead! ;)

I hadn't thought of that, Slobodan, but now that you mention it... also, non-af lenses force you to exercise your complete hand, though I expect there will be others with alternative ideas on the matter.

;-)

Rob C

Mcthecat

• mickwatsonphotography
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 08:34:11 pm »

Isnt Enoxaparin great! Then its 6 months on rat poison and no more than 2 beers! My doc has concerns for my lack of concern for my own health. He did not share my sense of humor when we met today. Misserable git! I am concerned. Im very worried. Sometimes thinking about it makes me depressed. I lay awake at night with worry. Getting knocked out by Sweden is a big deal and the new Canon 200-400 may not be as good as i want. lol!!!!!

Mick

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 11:18:24 am »

Isnt Enoxaparin great! Then its 6 months on rat poison and no more than 2 beers! My doc has concerns for my lack of concern for my own health. He did not share my sense of humor when we met today. Misserable git! I am concerned. Im very worried. Sometimes thinking about it makes me depressed. I lay awake at night with worry. Getting knocked out by Sweden is a big deal and the new Canon 200-400 may not be as good as i want. lol!!!!!

Mick

House is television.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up