Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to move images between folders??  (Read 2380 times)

One Frame at a Time

How to move images between folders??
« on: June 13, 2012, 12:31:30 pm »

I hate asking really dumb questions but I am not figuring this one out on my own.  Adobe "help" is not helping.... I really like Light Room but some parts of it I am really not liking.
The import section in particular has me putting images where I don't want them, and just being a real PIA!  It should open a dialog that lets you see what your doing in decent size print and not rely on showing all the file structure in small type on a black background.  I keep having to clean up after myself.   (Do I sound frustrated?)

Anyway, this time I managed to get the images pretty close to where I want them except it put them into a subfolder.  I dont want the subfolder.  How can I move the images out of the subfolder and up one level into the parent folder (then delete the errant folder that lightroom so graciously set up for me)?  Thanks!

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: How to move images between folders??
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 12:36:37 pm »

Easy way.... select the images in Grid view. Then right click the parent folder and choose Create Folder Inside "Parent". Give it a name, and ensure that you tick Include Selected Folders.

Or you may rename the "errant folder" - right click it.

Or if a folder exists, drag the thumbnails into it. Remember to drag the pictures themselves (not the frames)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 12:37:40 pm »

In the library module, grid mode, select the images you want to move (cmd-a, from your description, to select all) and drag them to the parent folder's icon in the list on the left.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 03:53:08 pm by kikashi »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 12:38:42 pm »

Easy way.... select the images in Grid view. Then right click the parent folder and choose Create Folder Inside "Parent". Give it a name, and ensure that you tick Include Selected Folders.
I think that's exactly the reverse of what he wants to do, John.

Jeremy

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 01:02:41 pm »

Thanks for the reply's!  If I am in Library and select them all it will not let me move them into the parent folder.  It just does nothing.  If I try to grab the sub folder and move it into the parent it says "folder already exists".  What I wound up doing was going into explorer and moving them (select all and drag to the target folder).  Then go back to LR, selecting the old folder, the images appear but have the question mark in each box and then redirect LR where they are in the "Find image" dialog.  Works but not easy or quick like it should be.   Not a hardship either.  Don't like making errors all the time when importing....

Thanks again,

P

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 01:42:53 pm »

Are you certain you are dragging the images and not the surrounding frames?

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 02:02:48 pm »

Actually no I'm not ::)  I'll try it.  Did not realize there was a difference!

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 02:11:18 pm »

You wouldn't be the first person to do this -  as photographers we're trained to keep our hands off the pics and grab the tranny frame!

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 02:22:32 pm »

I'm not sure I understood your question well, but I hope this applies and helps....

Due to LR not working with a browser, it acts as a Import Export tool with Browser and only when doing this action visible. OTHERWISE you are looking at a file structure that is ONLY created specific to the catalog created.
Having many frustrations in the beginning, I went back and took it step by step as how LR works. It is only a module and can only see image files of TIF,RAW, JPEG, older PSD files. Further You cannot browse a folder on you system and move it to a catalog that isn't open.
If you use ACDSee, this does have a database in the background and you can use it simply as a Browser/Explorer, yet have the speed and flexibility of a catalog with abilities of a DAM.
I was hoping I could use LR as a DAM, but with the limit in formats and the lack of ability to see anything other in the folders it creates, I have to resort to LR as a RAW Processor of some files, C1 to develop other raw files, ACDSeePro5 to manage files, and PhotoShop to make edits.
I have tried MediaPro, and as of 1.3 which I am trying out now, has issues with thumbnails. Bridge is horrible with network drives, and since ignored it and removed all the 2 file cache files it creates in every folder. IDIMager is OK, yet a bit frustrating on the way it makes export files other complicated things that should be simple.... and sometimes thumbs are not working right.

*So for your specific needs....I would suggest to manage your files using a Folder structure you make in Windows Explorer and then simply allow LR to make a catalog over the structure to work with them (letting LR make its own separate structure, like using dates).  

Use LR to get the images off a card and onto you main image folders and allowing that to be added to your specific catalog. Use Explorer to move images around and have LR Sync/update the content. This is how I work around LR's handicap.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 02:31:23 pm »

John, Thank You!  That was the problem.  Acting like I expected it to now.  And your right, its how we grow up handling prints.  Is there some functionality to grabbing the frame instead?? 

Phil, you are much more advanced than I in terms of asset management.  I am a serious amateur.  I do a good deal of reading and homework to keep up with our craft but don't make a living at it.  Not sure I have the thick skin to endure all the scrutiny and rejection that comes with the territory.  Respect for those that do!

Here is a link to some of my images if anyone cares to look:

http://www.paulsgallery.smugmug.com/

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 02:53:43 pm »

John, Thank You!  That was the problem.  Acting like I expected it to now.  And your right, its how we grow up handling prints.  Is there some functionality to grabbing the frame instead?? 

Great. I guarantee you'll hit the same problem again before long - so just remember there's a trick. Sadly, there's no hidden functionality there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up