Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Equipment Insurance  (Read 10746 times)

Shrev94412

• Phase One, Fuji GFX100, Nikon and Leica Q2 Shooter
    • Shreve Fine Art
Camera Equipment Insurance
« on: June 13, 2012, 12:12:10 pm »

I apologize in advance if this topic has been covered. I did a search but didn't see anything.

I need to insure my equipment for theft, travel theft, loss by airlines, hotel theft, my house burning down...etc etc.

Does anyone have suggestions as to insurance carriers that Insure Camera Equipment and understand our business and dilemma?

I checked with my homeowners carrier but they are lost although willing to quote. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a lot of equipment and it really added up to a large number.

Thanks
Check out my work at www.shrevefineart.com

Colorado David

Re: Camera Equipment Insurance
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 12:30:15 pm »

What you're asking for is an Inland Marine policy written by a commercial insurer.  You can find a commercial insurer your self and request a quote or you can join a professional association such as ASMP and use the insurance offered to the membership.  In my experience the insurance through a professional association connection will cost less and the insurer will be more likely to understand your business.  You will also want a million dollars worth of liability insurance.

Shrev94412

• Shreve Fine Art
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 04:07:13 pm »

Just thought I would provide an update to my findings. Many USA based Homeowners policies and business policies will not cover international travel for camera equipment. This was the first thing I discovered. I found two underwriters willing to provide the insurance and cover International travel and include any type of loss, Chubb and Lloyds of London were the only two based on my research. On $102,000 of camera gear, lenses, printers and all the other stuff the annual premium came to around $1,500.00.

It was interesting to go through this scenario as I have bought insurance for so many businesses but not where international travel with equipment was involved. The premium seems reasonable based on the possibility of a large loss. Heck, one lens cost way more than that premium. Most Large Insurance Agents can access these two Underwriters.

Just FYI and thanks for the response.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 04:14:42 pm »

You might want to helps us by specifying two "irrelevant" details: where in the world is your domicile, and are you a pro or an amateur?

Kerry L

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 08:22:39 pm »

Just thought I would provide an update to my findings. Many USA based Homeowners policies and business policies will not cover international travel for camera equipment. This was the first thing I discovered. I found two underwriters willing to provide the insurance and cover International travel and include any type of loss, Chubb and Lloyds of London were the only two based on my research. On $102,000 of camera gear, lenses, printers and all the other stuff the annual premium came to around $1,500.00.

It was interesting to go through this scenario as I have bought insurance for so many businesses but not where international travel with equipment was involved. The premium seems reasonable based on the possibility of a large loss. Heck, one lens cost way more than that premium. Most Large Insurance Agents can access these two Underwriters.

A couple of things about your querry come to mind.

First, why would you need travel insurance for printers and "all the other stuff" computers & monitors???? On my policy I insure only the equipment that I would travel with. The rest is considered "contents" and is covered by my building policy, at a lesser premium cost.

Using only my own instance as a reference, $100,000 for only $1500 is so low, I wonder what you are actually getting.

Finally, if you are a working pro, there are lots of other things to be looking for, such as third person liability and loss of income, to list only a couple.

To get a useful answer, you need to proivide more information .

"Try and let your mind see more than you

Rowat

• http://www.andrewrowat.com
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 08:48:54 pm »

With a membership through APA (http://www.apanational.com/index.cfm?) I then have access to their insurance provider/broker and insure all my gear. There are lots of additional liability/etc policies that they offer as well. FWIW I think my rate is in the same ballpark as Shrev94412.

Andrew.

EA6B

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 11:45:12 am »

Two that I know of:

http://www.tcpinsurance.com/  which I've used and

D.E. BANKER & ASSOCIATES
Insurance Services Inc
License #0654995
25835 Narbonne Ave #280C Lomita CA 90717
(310) 534-4630 FAX (310) 534-2388

Shrev94412

• Shreve Fine Art
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 11:41:44 pm »

A couple of things about your querry come to mind.

First, why would you need travel insurance for printers and "all the other stuff" computers & monitors???? On my policy I insure only the equipment that I would travel with. The rest is considered "contents" and is covered by my building policy, at a lesser premium cost.

Using only my own instance as a reference, $100,000 for only $1500 is so low, I wonder what you are actually getting.

Finally, if you are a working pro, there are lots of other things to be looking for, such as third person liability and loss of income, to list only a couple.

To get a useful answer, you need to provide more information .

Agreed.....The reason to insure everything is not just for travel but also if my home burned to the ground. Homeowners will not cover the loss on valuable camera equipment unless separately listed and then again will not provide coverage for international travel so it forced me to look for both international travel and complete loss insurance due to fire or theft, whatever the reason of the loss including international travel. I do not carry the other forms of business insurance for my photography as I do not shoot people and the only person that is ever at risk is me. Hiking to and back to the Subway at Zion this summer liked to kill me....LOL.

My career as a CEO of a software company has all kinds of insurance. But, I would rather be out traveling and shooting....much more fun!

Thanks for the help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up