Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with i1 spectro for print profiles  (Read 1920 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Problems with i1 spectro for print profiles
« on: June 13, 2012, 10:51:04 am »

I've been going around and around with tech support at Xrite regarding weird issues with my i1 spectro. It seems to work just fine with my NEC monitors and Spectravision II, but lately, it's produced the crappiest paper profiles. I mean SERIOUSLY bad. The Xrite people plotted the gamut and found it seriously deficient in the blue spectrum (hence posterized blues in skies, etc.). Additionally, using the TC9 RGB target with 900+ squares, it ALWAYS stumbles on line 22 and I have to revert to patch reading of each patch rather than line reading.

Has anyone run into this issue? I'm trying to figure out if my spectro is toast or to send it in for repair. It seems weird that the monitor calibration is spot on, but the print calibration is so far off.

Nemo

smilem

• Color Management Services
Re: Problems with i1 spectro for print profiles
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 10:57:39 am »

It seems weird that the monitor calibration is spot on, but the print calibration is so far off.

No its not, monitor calibration uses emission mode, the printer calibration uses reflection, entirely different thing.
You should sent them your targets first, if they can read those no problem and make better profiles using same hardware/softwre settigns then you need your spectrophotometer replaced/serviced.

It's cheaper to send the targets than the spectro :)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 11:11:14 am »

Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually already sent them scans of the targets (their request) as well as the ICC profiles that were created. They're the ones now saying, send it in. Depending on cost of repair, I may just go ahead and spring for the whole new i1Pro2. I had thought of just upgrading the software, since it's a huge leap in ability -- much larger sample targets can be used -- and also about a third of the cost of the whole upgraded package. The thing that sucks is I was contemplating buying the Canon iPF8300.

Brenda K. Hipsher

• X-Rite Photo Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 01:03:39 pm »

You could consider upgrading your current system to the new i1Pro 2 hardware. Are you currently using i1Profiler software?  If so you can purchase the i1Basic Pro 2 and simply transfer the licenses out of your current hardware into the new hardware. Your old i1Pro will continue to be fully functional for monitors and projectors (which is what is working perfectly for you now) and your new hardware will have all the bells and whistles of the i1Pro 2 plus the ability to make printer profiles with Optical Brightener Compensation.

If you have not previously upgraded to the i1Profiler software then just have a look at the i1Pro 2 upgrades.
http://www.xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?id=1951&catid=109&action=overview

B.
Pages: [1]   Go Up