Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple Retina Display what is it?  (Read 3353 times)

Michael West

Apple Retina Display what is it?
« on: June 12, 2012, 08:09:35 pm »

Ive seen the Retina Display on the tpad...and now the newest Mac Laptop touted as being a wonderful display nut si cant find any hard data on how manu DPI it might be.

Does anyone know if it exceeds the 72 DPI standard? 

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Re: Apple Retina Display what is it?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 09:48:40 pm »

It's just a marketing term, currently used to describe a resolution high enough so at normal viewing distance the eye can not see pixels.  On the iPhone 4 it's 326dpi, the iPad3 is 264, the new Macbook is 220.  72 is very outdated, most LCD screens around 100-110.

Michael West

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 01:14:18 am »

Thanks. Given Apples reticence to actually define a "retina display" I was guessing it might be a marketing term. Being a Mac user i was hoping it night be a giant step forward

michael

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 03:40:32 am »

Well, "giant" is a relative term.

I consider a laptop screen that is at least double what we've had before, and which has roughly the resolution of a print, kind of "giant".

Michael

Ps: Who cares what it's called?

hjulenissen

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 05:29:14 am »

I consider a laptop screen that is at least double what we've had before, and which has roughly the resolution of a print, kind of "giant".
Yes. Many people have been wishing for higher-resolution laptop displays, and this is definitely it.

-h

Chris Pollock

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 05:50:44 am »

This is a good example of why I consider statements of the form "I never print larger than X x Y, so I don't need more than Z megapixels" to be short-sighted. Good modern displays already exceed the resolution of early DLSRs like the Canon D30. In 10 or 20 years we'll probably have 2 metre displays with resolutions measured in 10's of megapixels.

hjulenissen

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 06:05:24 am »

This is a good example of why I consider statements of the form "I never print larger than X x Y, so I don't need more than Z megapixels" to be short-sighted. Good modern displays already exceed the resolution of early DLSRs like the Canon D30. In 10 or 20 years we'll probably have 2 metre displays with resolutions measured in 10's of megapixels.
The _size_ of this display is not larger than previous laptops. I dont think that laptops will have much larger displays in the future, either.

If you fix the display size at 15", and the viewing distance at some distance, then there is a finite limit to how much resolution you can benefit from. Apple claims that their "retina" displays are at that limit (i.e. that further increasing the resolution will have no perceptual benefit).

Tv/home-cinema display size have increased tremendously in later years, and I can easily see 2 meter displays with 10s of megapixels at some time in the future. If they use transmissive light, they will generate quite some heat/draw quite some power for a high-brightness image, not matter how efficient the light source. Perhaps reflective light (like printed images) is more suited for wall-size applications.

-h

kaelaria

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 03:15:25 pm »

Still useless to me.  I want that dpi at a useful size, like 27"+

NancyP

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 10:17:39 am »

Medical gray-scale monitors for mammography (most demanding radiographic application) are in the 5 to 15 Mpixel range now, with 4096 level gray-scale.

Ecolodger

• Oracle
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 04:21:40 pm »

So..is it basicallly an IPS screen remarketed?
A Proud owner of the Minolta  MD System...

kaelaria

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 05:02:59 pm »

IPS is a physical display tech spec, nothing to do with dpi.
Pages: [1]   Go Up