Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't launch Catalog/Lightroom from icon  (Read 1459 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Can't launch Catalog/Lightroom from icon
« on: June 12, 2012, 12:12:34 pm »

I'm running Win 7 x64 and with LR 4.1, I can't launch a catalog simply by double clicking on the icon. (I create a new catalog for each job since I don't want the images combined in one large catalog.) If I double click on a catalog, such as "ABC Company - Summer 2012 shoot.lrcat", instead of launching Lightroom and the catalog, I receive a message that shows Windows trying to go through a configuration/install. (See screen capture).

Anyone run into this and anyone figure out what's going on or how to fix it? Thanks

Nemo

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Can't launch Catalog/Lightroom from icon
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 02:58:57 pm »

Where's the lrcat's Target? See File Properties. But I'd go for a clean uninstall / install.  Possibly delete the preferences file or test as a different user on the machine (though these are more cure-alls on Mac).

nemophoto

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 06:16:07 pm »

The lrcat target is for Lightroom 4. All the properties seem in order. If I allow Windows to go through the routine, it seems to be looking for some sort of installation file that it says is not on the drive. Very weird. Never had this happen with other files associated with other programs (e.g. - TIFF files automatically launch Photoshop).

jpegman

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 08:52:56 pm »

Could your problem be that your icon is for LR4, and you are currently running LR4.1?  Remember, LR creates a new folder based on the current version, it doesn't install the update on top of itself!

Just a guess on my part as I noted on my Win7-64 when I updated to LR4.1, my old Quick Launch icon no longer worked since it was a shortcut to LR4 and had to be replaced with a new shortcut I made for LR 4.1!

Jpegman

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 10:30:45 pm »

Right-click the catalog file.  Go to Properties, General.  It should say Opens With Lightroom.  Click the Change button to make sure it's got the right path.

nemophoto

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 10:24:50 am »

Right-click the catalog file.  Go to Properties, General.  It should say Opens With Lightroom.  Click the Change button to make sure it's got the right path.

That's exactly what I did. Even though the Opens With was pointing to Lightroom 4, I manually re-entered the program. Still the same. Very weird. Jpegman suggested that it was now in a different ffolder, but I double checked that my 4.1 update made it to the current Lightroom 4 folder. (Unlike the Windows convention that tries to load programs all in the Program Folder on the C: drive, I have most of my imaging programs all on my E: drive/partition.)

jpegman

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 02:50:34 pm »

I also force my Adobe files (and virtually all other program files) away from my OS drive (C:\) so my OS drive is lean and mean for imaging backups, but, Lightroom still installs in a folder labelled with the latest version number. See screenshot.
Don't know what forcing LR4.1 on top of LR4 via the installer will do? I believe that the installer first installs the update in a new folder, then deletes the files in the old folder - can't fool with mother nature too much!

Jpegman
Pages: [1]   Go Up