Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Workhorse  (Read 2063 times)

Arminw

• http://www.arminweisheit.com
My Workhorse
« on: June 12, 2012, 07:00:31 am »

Hi everybody , now that Apple had its opening presentation at WWDC we know there is not much of an update to the MacPro, and buyers have to decide if the minor update in processor speed is worth buying into? What I'd like to find out is, how many of you are actually still working on a MacPro, and how many of you are working on an iMac or even just a laptop ? 
You can't depend on your eyes when your

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Re: My Workhorse
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 07:04:09 am »

Mac Pro is my primary image editing machine in my studio. Its a late 2008 model.

MacBook Pro for in the field work.

I like the Macbook Pro - but it can't compete with the raw power of the Mac Pro with a nice SpectraView Wide Gamut Monitor. If I had to choose between them.. I would ditch the laptop in a heartbeat.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 09:12:58 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 07:19:36 am »

I am still using my trusted 2007 8 core Mac Pro and love every bit of it... except that it lacks thunderbolt, USB 3.0, a (d-r)ecent graphic card, more speed,...

Cheers,
Bernard

Arminw

• http://www.arminweisheit.com
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:24:49 am »

I am still on my 2006 MacPro, and it's time to say good bye to it . It has served me well, but it's getting a bit slow and a new machine is required. The big question of course is ( which one?)
You can't depend on your eyes when your

Eric Kellerman

• Eric Kellerman Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 09:06:16 am »

Mac Pro early 2009.

bjornaagedk

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 09:55:23 am »

My main computer is a MacPro late 2007 which is still okay for me.

However some months ago I decided to just "try" a PC (my first PC ever !!) and bought a very powerful custom configured i7 with everything we could throw into it. 128GB SSD, 1TB drive, 16GB ram, USB3, eSATA, BluRay burner, best and most silent Coolermaster cabinet, best power supply, top notch 580 graphics card, front mounted "dock" for connecting a hard drive, front mounted card reader, best keyboard and mouse, and of course Win7 pro 64 bit.

I have the complete CS6 production package on this PC and CaptureOne Pro 6. Startup time from when I push the power button until I can login to Windows is 10 seconds ! After Effects rendering is just blowing through the machine.
I am still a mac guy at heart, but I have to say that I am amazed of how much workstation I got for my money. (I paid apx. USD 1800,-)

Except for the Command / Control key use different from what I'm used to, when Lightroom 4 or any other program is open, there is not much different. It does the job and connecting to the other macs on my network is no problem.

BUT... it's not a mac!

No matter if Apple upgrade the MacPro line, I like the idea of having ONE very powerful MacBook Pro laptop with an external apple monitor and then use this as the main computer in the future. The less cabels, monitors, speakers etc. the better.

Pages: [1]   Go Up