Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Check integrity of a large folder of image files  (Read 8544 times)

hjulenissen

Check integrity of a large folder of image files
« on: June 12, 2012, 01:17:15 am »

Hi all

I have used the "search for missing files" of Lightroom with great success.

I'd like another, similar function. I have considered doing it myself using batch and dcraw, but if I prefer being lazy: scan a folder (and all subfolders) for image files (jpeg and cr2 in my case), attempt to read them, and generate a list of all files that threw errors/warnings upon opening.

The reason that I am asking is that I have found a raw file that has been (added but unused) in my lightroom folder for years that I am now unable to open. Who knows what happened (failed copy from disk-to-disk, disk-rot, radiation from outer space...), but instead of manually opening 30000 images, I'd like to know the state of all of my files.

-h

Nigel Johnson

Re: Check integrity of a large folder of image files
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 05:01:51 pm »

H

You could use Marc Rochkind's ImageVerifier to test the files - see http://basepath.com/site/detail-ImageVerifier.php.

Regards,
Nigel

hjulenissen

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 04:14:51 am »

H

You could use Marc Rochkind's ImageVerifier to test the files - see http://basepath.com/site/detail-ImageVerifier.php.

Regards,
Nigel
Thank you, this seems like just the tool I was looking for. Did you try it yourself (kind of sad if some tool actually mess with all of my image files).

It seems that it is available in a package for $40, or stand-alone for $9.99 mac-only?

-h

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 04:21:28 am »

For what it's worth I would trust Marc's work. I've not tried that app but have others by him.

jonathan.lipkin

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 04:33:32 pm »

Image Verifier is great, and Marc is very responsive to questions. From what I understand, it is simply a front-end to Adobe DNG Converter, which maintains a database of what files have been checked. You run it on a folder, it opens each file in DNG converter, then logs the results. When you run again, it looks at a checksum to see if the file has changed since last verified. It works quite well, though there are some false negatives when checking TIFF files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up