Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making a Photo book with Blurb through Lightroom 4  (Read 3922 times)

free2australian

Making a Photo book with Blurb through Lightroom 4
« on: June 11, 2012, 09:19:16 pm »

I have a Mac, Lightroom 4 and Book Smart

I always edit my photos in the Color Space ProPhoto RGB.

I have read for Blurb Photo books the color space should be in sRGB.. 

What happens to the color if I have I have already edited the photos with the color space of ProPhoto RGB ( which is the recommended color space by Lightroom - information comes up that sRGB cannot encompass the full range of colors available in Lightroom.

On checking Blurb's website  there is a statement that  if your images are Adobe RGB, ProPhoto RGB, Colormatch RGB, or another RGB color space, the optimal workflow is to convert your images to the Blurb ICC Profile .

Is this recommended by others who have made a book via Book Smart/Lightroom?

1.  If so how do I install the Blurb ICC Profile on my Mac and

2  How do I access it within Lightroom.

3.  My Photos are already being edited with the ProPhoto RBG  what do I do in this instance?

Be grateful for some step by step instructions.

thank you

Sue

DickKenny

• Dick Kenny at The Chantry Studio
Re: Making a Photo book with Blurb through Lightroom 4
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 04:39:12 pm »

As I understand it, Lightroom converts your images to sRGB before sending them to Blurb. There is a thought that soft proofing in sRGB would help in getting a more faithful colour reproduction, but it is doubtful. That was certainly my experience. Also, I don't believe the Blurb profile they offer can be used in Lightroom; only in Photoshop.

I have had one poor experience with colour reproduction in a Blurb book. As a result, their customer support offered me a free reprint. I sRGB soft proofed the really bad images from the first effort, but left the majority as was. The result was that all the images in the reprint were far closer to the original files. Logically it doesn't make sense. Except if you accept the premise that there is a little of the luck of the draw in all this.

free2australian

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 05:53:08 pm »

Thanks for your response

In relation to sRGB does Lightroom automatically converts the images to sRGB or do I have do this through Book Smart?

Have you any other tips to make my photo book outcome as painless as possible.  The camera I used is a Nikon D80 and I shoot in raw

Sue

Robert Katz

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 06:09:22 pm »

Adobe has 45 minutes (in three free videos) on the book module. (http://tv.adobe.com/watch/whats-new-in-lightroom-4/book-module-basics)
I found them to be very helpful as I started my first book using the new module.
Robert
Robert Katz
Robert Katz Photography

DickKenny

• Dick Kenny at The Chantry Studio
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 11:50:56 pm »

Sue:

As I understand things, yes; Lr does convert to sRGB behind the scenes en route to Blurb. I don't really have any tips other than its in my experience a bit of a shot in the dark. I did have some exposure to minds greater than mine on the subject via a post I (Rockshead) made in the Lr Forum - see link below. Best of luck.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4428989#4428989

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 09:43:05 am »

In relation to sRGB does Lightroom automatically converts the images to sRGB or do I have do this through Book Smart?

Images are automatically converted to sRGB when sent to Blurb through the book module.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up