Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: El Color  (Read 1565 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
El Color
« on: June 11, 2012, 12:31:54 pm »

To steal a title from Manuel Alvarez Bravo...
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

amolitor

Re: El Color
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 12:58:22 pm »

I like the blurred foot on the lefthand girl. It's a trope I like to convey a sense of motion, but it's hard to get while keeping the interesting stuff sharp.

What on earth is that thing upper left?

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 02:46:38 pm »

That's the target for the af system, silly.

I know it's anathema, Russ, but cropping just a teensy bit to straighten the wall wouldn't have hurt?

I can't shoot women like that. I just can't bring myself to do it. It's too cruel for me to cope with - the gift to see ourselves as other's see us (olde Scottish poet's words - Burns?) - and though I sympathise with them and also wear the most inappropriate things for a cat of my age (not one fed of iced-scraps) I don't enjoy looking into too many mirrors anymore. Gone the days when they (mirrors) reached out to kiss me. Why do some girls do this to themselves? Heavy socks and sandals, for God's sake, with light-weight Indian skirt materials?

Used to be a time that sandals and socks epitomised the Englishman abroad...

Rob C
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 02:48:47 pm by Rob C »

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 08:55:11 pm »

I find this to be a polite photo.  I feel we are invited to observe the girls and the scene and empathize with being there, rather than inspect the girls and pass judgment on whether they win a prize for this or that.  The kids are alright, though maybe a little better with up closer to up.

Bruce
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 08:58:08 pm by Bruce Cox »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 09:14:34 pm »

That's the target for the af system, silly.

I know it's anathema, Russ, but cropping just a teensy bit to straighten the wall wouldn't have hurt?

I can't shoot women like that. I just can't bring myself to do it. It's too cruel for me to cope with - the gift to see ourselves as other's see us (olde Scottish poet's words - Burns?) - and though I sympathise with them and also wear the most inappropriate things for a cat of my age (not one fed of iced-scraps) I don't enjoy looking into too many mirrors anymore. Gone the days when they (mirrors) reached out to kiss me. Why do some girls do this to themselves? Heavy socks and sandals, for God's sake, with light-weight Indian skirt materials?

Used to be a time that sandals and socks epitomised the Englishman abroad...

Rob C

Lighten up, Rob. Life's a blast! Enjoy it. I'm way too old to chase girls, but I still can enjoy a couple kids like these, brightening up the scene with inappropriate dress. Actually, in this area of town they're quite appropriate, and young, and full of life. I love 'em. But from a distance.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 04:32:35 am »

Russ, life is indeed a blast; the problem is that so many can't make the most of it in a manner that makes the most of them.

Fashion victim wasn't a phrase born of happenstance but observation.

There are many young, attractive (as distinct from photogenic) girls here, too, but they appear to have an innates sense of how to look good; the same, in spades, is true of Italy though I can't say that the younger French ones that I've noted have what some of their older sisters (and probably mothers) do.

I think it stems from a sense of isolation - no, the reality of cultural/sartorial isolation. The seventies were a long time ago, as my poor olde mirror constantly tries to hint. I ignore the mother, and crave a Dorian Gray solution.

But actually, Russ, I am 'lightened up' in the sense that I have realised a helluva lot of things about futility in the last three and-a-half years; a development that cuts right through a helluva lot of crap that once seemed so vital to the living of life.

It's the hand one's dealt; one can lie or one can tell the truth as one sees it or, perhaps better still, do as the old blues lyric recommends: 'if you can't say nuthin' nice, don't say nuthin's my advice'. But that would lead to a dead forum.

;-(

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up