Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New walk around camera.  (Read 5047 times)

Mcthecat

• mickwatsonphotography
New walk around camera.
« on: June 10, 2012, 02:36:20 pm »

With age and other stuff i have decided to rationalise my camera gear, reducing the number of lens's and weight i have to lug around.  Part of this means the purchase of a camera that I can carry around when out in the city, not to plan any photographic stuff just when the opportunity arrises in something I can carry each day, inside my sweatshirt that I can lob out when needed. Carrying larger heavy cameras im afraid on such errands has come to an end.

I've reviewed my metadata and the things it will be used for and its %100 street photography, mainly mono, up to ISO 1600 on occassion 3200 an appeture maxed at around f2.8 (or lower please) with prints no more than A3 or on a very rare ocassion A2. I've had a brief look around and i've been amazed at the results my friend has with his Fuji X100, another has an X1 from Leica which also looks ok although a few £'s more. Anyone have experience of these and other cameras? I must admit from what i see from the X100, its my favourite, amazing little camera. Sharp as a tack with decent dynamic range to.

Mick

texshooter

Re: New walk around camera.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 04:44:21 pm »

i predict that the fuji x100 will soon be upgraded with interchangeable lenses. im holding out for this improvemement.  do you hear that fuji?  my money is standing by waiting for you to take it.

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 06:48:45 pm »

i predict that the fuji x100 will soon be upgraded with interchangeable lenses

That would be nice, but in my view surprising as such a camera would surely take sales away from the X-Pro. I would of course be delighted to be proved wrong.
Ken Cameron

TMARK

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 11:50:20 pm »

X100. Caused me to sell my Leica M8 and M9. Dynamic range is awesome. Natural color, natural transitions, and something I've never seen: ready to go out of camera jpgs. Scales up well. Great b&w. The lens is very nice as well. Cannot go wrong

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 04:23:56 am »

X100. Caused me to sell my Leica M8 and M9. Dynamic range is awesome. Natural color, natural transitions, and something I've never seen: ready to go out of camera jpgs. Scales up well. Great b&w. The lens is very nice as well. Cannot go wrong

Isn't there a problem with a less-than-ideal proprietory RAW processing solution for that camera? Even Nikon's NX2 isn't such a thrilling way of getting files into Photoshop, so why would one expect other proprietory routes to fare much better? I just don't like the idea of spending time working on Jpegs if there's a RAW sitting around doing nothing. Seems crazy to me. Maybe the time for DNG is now.

Yes, there are all sorts of different processing systems around, but if Photshop is acknowledged boss of the manipulators, why not design everything so that it interfaces perfectly with that with a minimum of user inconvenience?

Rob C

Mcthecat

• mickwatsonphotography
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 07:07:54 am »

Thanks guys, the x 1 pro, never thought of that. I feel I have another purchase coming on. My friends really is amazing. I had a look at the Dxo comparison between the M9 and the x100 after tmark's post, wow what a surprise that's a great sensor. Checking out EBAY now!

Mick

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 03:11:02 pm »

I am really enjoying the X-Pro 1, great camera and great lenses, a pleasure to use and carry around and a nice change from lugging the Canon dslrs.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 05:14:20 pm »

Isn't there a problem with a less-than-ideal proprietory RAW processing solution for that camera?
Not sure what you mean, Rob. AFAIK, Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw deal just fine with the Raw files from my X100. I believe there are problems with the X-Pro files - maybe you are referring to that - but the problem is relatively recent, and there is surely a good prospect that the Adobe engineers will fix it.
Ken Cameron

MartinSpence

• Martin Spence Photography
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 06:59:09 am »

I'd also check out the Olympus OM-D - it's suppose to be very good too...

slackercruster

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 07:19:50 pm »

I wish a company made a Leica style cam that mimicked BW film exactly. No color, just BW. Have it outfitted 4 ASA settings for 32, 125, 400 and 1200. Maybe offer a 2 stop push setting. Offer some sharp glass and have it run on 2 or 3 AA batts. Bring it in for under $1500.

I know Leica has a mono cam, but the $$ and no AA's kill it for me. If the mono Leica ran on AA's I'd probably buy one.

Pingang

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 12:43:39 pm »

A camera exactly like Leica M and it's size with interchangeable lenses, with the latest 4/3 autofocus and the feel of manual focus like M lenses, equal or better EVF than NEX-7, shoot 1080p video, 5fps still of 18-24 mpx APS-C or FF sensor size, with an OS to accept apps for custom camera function, talk directly to iPad, that would be perfect for now. And I don't think it is that far away.

Pingang
Shanghai

Mcthecat

• mickwatsonphotography
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 06:01:08 pm »

Ended up buying a Fujifilm x100 after reading the excellent reviews on this site and the recent review of the G1x. I have spent a lot of money on Canon gear over the years and love the lens and cameras but this is the first time i have chosen a none Canon product. Shame, if only the G1 had been what it could or should have been. It's nice, but I didnt want nice and average.

Mick

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 03:20:50 am »

Ended up buying a Fujifilm x100 after reading the excellent reviews on this site and the recent review of the G1x. I have spent a lot of money on Canon gear over the years and love the lens and cameras but this is the first time i have chosen a none Canon product. Shame, if only the G1 had been what it could or should have been. It's nice, but I didnt want nice and average.

Mick

Mick , I have found I need to be REALLY careful to check that the Exposure Compensation dial at the top right corner doesn't get rolled whilst putting it into my pocket or bag because it sits proud of the camera body and it is forever moving on me unnoticed. An absolute pain!. Not much fun realising a few spontaneous quick shots have had one stop over-exposure set. :( Other than that a great little camera.

Julie

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 04:11:35 am »

Mick , I have found I need to be REALLY careful to check that the Exposure Compensation dial at the top right corner doesn't get rolled....

+1. It is the one aspect of the interface that still bothers me, a year or so into ownership. Luckily the sensor has good latitude for adjusting exposure. I have been thinking about some kind of "bush carpentry" modification, maybe gluing a suitably sized o-ring onto the body and around the dial to create some friction. Suggestions welcome.
Ken Cameron

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 04:15:18 am »

+1. It is the one aspect of the interface that still bothers me, a year or so into ownership. Luckily the sensor has good latitude for adjusting exposure. I have been thinking about some kind of "bush carpentry" modification, maybe gluing a suitably sized o-ring onto the body and around the dial to create some friction. Suggestions welcome.
Ken... we are thinking about glueing something as a sort of barrier to stop the dial from being turned from the back. I will keep this post updated on the success of our mods.

Julie
Pages: [1]   Go Up