Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 belt change - errors upon re-assembly  (Read 10908 times)

Phab Guy

• http://www.turningpointarts.com
Z3100 belt change - errors upon re-assembly
« on: June 09, 2012, 05:28:00 pm »

My 44" Z3100 went into service in May 2007. The belt recently started disintegrating leaving debris inside the printer and sometimes on prints. I decided to do the replacement myself with a replacement belt I ordered on-line. I obtained the service manual and found a very good YouTube video on the procedure. The belt is now replaced, but the printer won't pass diagnostics.

The only issues I faced when dis-assembling and re-assembling the printer was the uncapping screw to allow the Carriage Assembly to move away from the service station (service manual pg. 8-97, step 24). I found on dis-assembly, it took a LOT of CCW turns for the Carriage Assembly to become free to move. On re-assembly, I never did get the Carriage Assembly free to move despite a huge number of CW turns. I when ahead with the re-assembly anyway and got the printer to the point of running diags.

In running the 4. Carriage Assembly diagnostics, I got [ERROR 58:11 FAIL DeltaE out of limits 92.000 > 8] and/or [ERROR 58:11 FAIL enabling/disabling ESP]. I removed the ESP, confirmed the shutter is not stuck, cleaned off the silver metal tab on the shutter and re-installed. The ESP part passed but I later got [ERROR 58:11 FAIL DeltaE out of limits 92.000 > 8].

In the Scan Axis Test, Star Wheel Lifter, I get [WARNING: FAIL Star Wheels Lifter length is 3692 EU, outside limits. (3000, 3600)] followed by [ERROR: 87:11 FAIL Scan Axis length: 1066240. Too SHORT. Check path is free. Need mechanical repair.]. I have determined there is nothing blocking the media path and I can load paper right through to the front along the full length.

If I just power up the printer for regular printing, during the initialization and after the carriage has moved all the way to left and then back to the service station, I get [86:01 Possible paper jam].

Since the paper path is definitely not blocked, I am curious as to what I could have done in re-assembling the printer to cause errors in THREE areas (ESP/DeltaE, Star Wheel Lifter and Scan Axis length). Are these all related in some way?

I would be eternally grateful for any advice on additional things I can try before I call in the paid techs.

Thanks!

Cheers!

Brad

namartinnz

Re: Z3100 belt change - errors upon re-assembly
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 09:00:35 pm »

I had a similar error to this when I replaced my belt. I had put too much tension on the carriage belt (spring tensioner LHS side). Loosening it got rid of the errors.

Neal

Phab Guy

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 03:40:32 pm »

I had a similar error to this when I replaced my belt. I had put too much tension on the carriage belt (spring tensioner LHS side). Loosening it got rid of the errors.

Neal

Neal, I really appreciate the reply. I backed off the spring tensionser to where there is a gap of about 1/2" between the left mounting panel and the back of the spring tensioner. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the same errors and I'm not comfortable backing off the tension any further. I'm going to have to call in the paid techs in the morning.

Cheers!

Brad

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 02:43:43 am »

In the Scan Axis Test, Star Wheel Lifter, I get [WARNING: FAIL Star Wheels Lifter length is 3692 EU, outside limits. (3000, 3600)] followed by [ERROR: 87:11 FAIL Scan Axis length: 1066240. Too SHORT. Check path is free. Need mechanical repair.]. I have determined there is nothing blocking the media path and I can load paper right through to the front along the full length.

If I just power up the printer for regular printing, during the initialization and after the carriage has moved all the way to left and then back to the service station, I get [86:01 Possible paper jam].

Brad

Check the Star Wheel bar. It is connected at the ends on a mechanism that can raise or lower that bar. Maybe you can take it off and see whether that mechanism needs some oil.

The paper jam can be a strip of the grey felt being too high on the printer bed and the head carriage touching it. Or either dirt on the encoding strip or the encoding strip sensor on the head carriage not functioning properly.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

Dinkla Grafische Techniek
Quad,piëzografie,giclée
www.pigment-print.com

Phab Guy

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 03:45:51 pm »

Check the Star Wheel bar. It is connected at the ends on a mechanism that can raise or lower that bar. Maybe you can take it off and see whether that mechanism needs some oil.

The paper jam can be a strip of the grey felt being too high on the printer bed and the head carriage touching it. Or either dirt on the encoding strip or the encoding strip sensor on the head carriage not functioning properly.
www.pigment-print.com

Hi Ernst--thanks for the follow-up. I decided it would be best to call HP who pointed me to a service tech in my area. When I explained the symptoms to him, he suggested the trailer cable pins might have been damaged when I took them out of or re-inserted them into the connectors. I double checked them, found a bit of ink on one of them, cleaned that off and re-connected. But the strange error codes remain, so he's (hopefully) making a trip to my studio this afternoon.

Cheers!

Brad

Roscolo

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 05:54:03 pm »

Please update when you know what it is. I just did my belt replacement, and had no problems. Paper cutter sounds a little different. And I'm getting straight line ink smudges on my first 1/2" of paper, but not a biggie. Until I figure that out I just add 1/2" to all my prints.

When my belt finally gave out, I was getting the paper jam error. And my belt was shredded!

The better thing to do instead of turning the screw to release the carriage, is to turn off the printer when the carriage is in the middle of the printer, not parked on the right. But when you were turning the screw, are you sure you were turning it? It's easy to put a tool in there and think you're turning it, when you're just spinning the tool. If you turn the printer off while the carriage is in the middle, then turn the screw, if you look there where the carriage parks on the right, you can see the piece you are moving when you turn the screw. You may want to do that and move it up and down. Maybe it is too high; too low - try it in a few different positions and see if that helps. Mine is a little noisy over there now where it wasn't before and I can't help but think maybe that piece is too high or too low and maybe that is where my faint ink smudges on that first 1/2" of each print are coming from.

Phab Guy

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 01:48:20 pm »

Folks, my printer is back in business again.

Dave Trufen from Printer World in Nanaimo came by the studio yesterday afternoon. Within minutes he identified that I had re-installed the paper cutter incorrectly. This was likely interfering with the carriage left-side "bump" resulting in a number of errors.

He also pointed out that the belt tensioner should be tighened up all the way snug to the mounting plate and let the springs to the job of relaxing/pulling back the belt as needed.

With those items addressed, the printer fired-up and ran fine.

Let me give my enthusiastic thanks to and hearty recommendation for Dave Trufen at Printer World in Nanaimo. He is an awesome tech, who knows his stuff and is very affable, approachable, understanding and supportive. He gladly pointed out other handy tips as he was working. He made a special effort to fit my visit in before he had to go off Island for several days, so that I could be up and running as soon possible. I am extremely appreciative for that.

Cheers!

Brad

pierre.goyette

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 11:18:50 am »

Brad,

I just replaced the belt on my 24" z3100 which had the same problems as yours and have exactly the same problems.  The printer works absolutely fine but it can't pass some of its own internal tests such as service test "6. SOL" Color Sensor test.  It fails when it goes to disable / enable the color sensor. I've taken the printer apart a few times (getting very good at this), cleaned it and reseated all the connections.

So your techy thought it was the paper cutter installation ???

Thanks,

Pierre

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 03:29:59 am »

I think nobody was able to get that test correctly done when the belt is replaced. More likely a bug in the testing method of the sensor. The calibration and profiling later on is not compromised by that error so do not worry about it.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

netherscurial

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 08:38:26 am »

Yea I got the same Color Sensor test error in my z3200 when I changed my belt awhile back, but it printed fine so i ignored it.

It's a awesome printer for the money despite some of its problems

kevin

jaq

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 02:51:20 pm »

Same with my z3100. After belt replacement no more colour sensing. I removed the sensor (No big hassle) Opened it, cleaned it. But... no more Calibration.

Jaq

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 03:54:14 pm »

...  The printer works absolutely fine but it can't pass some of its own internal tests such as service test "6. SOL" Color Sensor test.  It fails when it goes to disable / enable the color sensor. ...

Even before i replaced the belt the colorsensor test did not pass... for what i hear by the others it most be some HP error- the sensor seems to work fine.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

pierre.goyette

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 05:35:06 pm »

Seems consistent problem. I'm curious if anyone has an unmodified z3100/z3200 to see if it passes its own internal tests...

The "6. SOL" ESP Sensor tests fails but I can calibrate new paper and create color profiles. And the results looks very good so I know the ESP is working fine.

I will continue to try to figure out what the root cause of the problem is (being a bit anal)... If I find something, I will post results.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 10:20:02 pm »

Another one with an identical experience.  The color sensor fails the diagnostic test, but seems to perform fine otherwise.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

jaq

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 11:54:32 am »

Maybe I installed the wrong (cheap) belt. It is the one with the replacement tensioner pulley. Could be the z3100 has now a different belt length what produces this failure: [WARNING: FAIL Star Wheels Lifter length is 3692 EU, outside limits. (3000, 3600)] followed by [ERROR: 87:11 FAIL Scan Axis length: 1066240. Too SHORT.

On this site is a comparision of the three available belts.  Only one seems to be correct.

http://shaunmerriganphoto.net/tag/z3100-belt/

Jaq

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 12:54:54 pm »

I had a scan axis link error when I got an ink smear on my encoder strip.  In trying to clean it, I screwed up some of the micro printing that is on one side of the clear mylar. 

I would think that the belt length would have no bearing on the scan axis error message.  If the belt is the wrong length, it would not look properly tensioned and would be an obvious visual error. 

Encoder strips are not particularly expensive if you shop around, and are fairly easy to install.

I'm not sure about your star wheel lifter, though.  For the error to show up right after a belt change is obviously quite suspicious, but you presumably were not even near the star wheels when doing a belt change.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

scafidi

Re: HP T1100 belt change - errors upon re-assembly
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2015, 07:38:24 pm »

This site really helped me a great deal.

We have a HP T1100PS plotter.  The belt wore out and broke.  I bought a replacement belt on eBay for about $60 and meticulously replaced the belt following a good YouTube video and the HP repair manual (available online).  Everything went well, but when I turned on the plotter, it gave a paper jam error.  This occurred even though there was no paper in the plotter and I'm sure there wasn't any small piece or scrap paper in the plotter.   The error occurred very early in the startup.  I couldn't even run any diagnostic tests.

Then I read one of the above postings about the cutter.  I took out the cutter in our plotter (one screw) and sure enough, it was jammed.  After I made sure it operated smoothly, I reinstalled it.  And now the plotter starts up fine and plots again. 

Thank you all and the website staff for you help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up