Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe Lens Profile creation for Phase One lenses  (Read 4929 times)

Michael Mährlein

Adobe Lens Profile creation for Phase One lenses
« on: June 09, 2012, 11:19:56 am »

Hello,
has anybody tried to create own profiles with the Adobe Profile Creator for Phase One Lenses (P40+ back) to use it in Lightroom (or Photoshop)? Today I have tried my best, but if I select the profile in Lightroom 4.1 I see no difference. I generated the profile for the Phase One lens 28mm f/4.5 and for the Phase One 150mm/2.8 lens. I used the Adobe Camera Calibration Chart with 43 rows and 69 columns (Landscape ARCH_D - 24.00 In x 36.00 In (Square Print Dimension 36 Pts, Version 43 x 69).pdf)

Has anybody done this in the past? Does anybody can give me a hint, what goes wrong? Or can anybody send me the profile for this lenses to use it in LR 4.1?

Best regards,

Michael

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
Re: Adobe Lens Profile creation for Phase One lenses
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 03:32:36 pm »

Hi Michael,

not sure about the Phase One, but could it be that the lens-information Lr uses for applying the right Profile is not included in the Exifs of your pctures ?

Does Lr Show the right camera and lens in the Panel for lens corrwection ?

Best wishes

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Michael Mährlein

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 11:47:21 pm »

Hello Robert,

You are right - the lens information is not shown in the EXIF data at LR.

But my problem is not the auto selection of the right profil, the problem is, that if I select the new profile manually no correction is displayed. In the user guide of the Adobe lens profile creator there is a section about "legacy" lenses and there is mentioned that this should also work if I select it manually.

Cheers, Michael

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 05:52:56 am »

Sure, I understand you - but as far as I know for manually assigning a profile the Exifs are also needed.

I didn't try, but I think it is not possible to assign - let's say - a Canon 24-105mm profile to a Nikon shot photo.

Sorry, I'll bet you will have to take care for assigning the right information into the Exifs.

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Michael Mährlein

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 12:36:36 pm »

Thank you for your reply.

Now I checked it and the result is, that I can assign also other profiles to my Phase One files. E.g. I have a Schneider Kreuznach 80mm lens and I can assign to this picture the profile of a Sony NEX-7 lens (E24mm F1.8 ZA). Also I see clearly changes in the image.

I have also opened a downloaded LCP file for my NEX-7 and looked into it. The major differences are the two tags "<stCamera:Lens>" and "<stCamera:LensInfo>" with some more or less meaningful data. But I have gotten the same result -> no change in the picture.

Also I read again the FAQ section of the user guide for chart shooting. In the answer of question "How can I create and use LCP files with older lenses that have no EXIF metadata..." I found that it is necessary to specify the fully qualified camera and lens name (including make and model) so that the user can uniquely identify the lens profile. That I have also done / checked again with no success.

Do you have any other idea?

Best regads,
Michael

AFairley

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 11:59:27 am »

Sure, I understand you - but as far as I know for manually assigning a profile the Exifs are also needed.

I do not believe this is correct.  I can manually apply and select a lens profile from lens A to an image taken with lens B, even if the lens B ID and info is in the exif of the image.

AFairley

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 12:01:07 pm »

Do you have any other idea?

If the lens is well enough corrected, you would not see much of a difference when you apply the profile....

Michael Mährlein

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 01:03:55 pm »

If the lens is well enough corrected, you would not see much of a difference when you apply the profile....
I think that is maybe right with the 150mm lens. But with the 28mm lens I think that you can see a difference.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 08:39:19 pm »

I am guessing some required information (e.g., the size of the sensor) is not there to apply the corrections during rendering.

If you have a sample raw file and the lens profile that you could post, I'd be happy to take a look.
Eric Chan

Michael Mährlein

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 10:32:46 am »

I am guessing some required information (e.g., the size of the sensor) is not there to apply the corrections during rendering.

If you have a sample raw file and the lens profile that you could post, I'd be happy to take a look.

That would be great! Thank you very much for your offer.  :D

Now I have copied one original RAW file (with the used XMP file) and three generated LCP file to my dropbox. In the name of the LCP file you can see with which aperture I made the image set (the example RAW file is taken with f11).

At the following link you will find the mentioned files:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gt95yser2f8tv8e/x6Nfylegc4

If you have any problems to get access to my dropbox, please let me know.

Thank you very much for your support in advance!

Michael Mährlein

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 02:33:57 am »

Hello Eric,

Died you already have time to take a look at the problem I described? It would be great if you can give me a hint.

Best regards, Michael

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 10:37:49 am »

Sorry not yet, but I'll try to get back to you soon.
Eric Chan

Michael Mährlein

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 01:58:42 am »

Hello Eric,

do you already have any news?

Best regards, Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up