Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 650D - PDAF in Live View - is it all Bayer?  (Read 1971 times)

dreed

Canon 650D - PDAF in Live View - is it all Bayer?
« on: June 08, 2012, 05:12:26 pm »

The new Canon 650D supports phase detect auto focus across a small section of the middle of the sensor whilst in live view mode with special "pixels". Quite clearly they don't just conjure this up from nothing, and given that you can't get something for nothing, what gives? Is that region of the sensor using a design other than Bayer or...?

mmurph

• http://
Re: Canon 650D - PDAF in Live View - is it all Bayer?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 01:14:21 am »

Don't know details yet.

Apparently the Nikon J1, V1 mirrorless use actual picture pixels as focusing sensors.

One site says Canon does not, these are incremental focusing sensors.

That's all I've seen so far.  New sensor, specially designed sensor with phase detection sensors on chip.

Michael

BJL

Canon 650D - it is almost all Bayer
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 01:15:05 pm »

As far as I know, all these hybrid imaging+PDAF sensors have to do is divert a few hundred of the millions of photosites from image detection to AF detection, with the remaining 99.999% of sites still doing the normal job, with the normal Bayer CFA. The relatively few and tiny "holes" are then filled by interpolation from nearby "imaging sites".

I wonder how this affects third party raw conversion software? Does the raw output have the AF sensor gaps already filled by special interpolation, or does the raw software need to know where the gaps are, and handle then along with the normal demosaicing interpolation?

qwz

• http://vassiliev.net
Re: Canon 650D - PDAF in Live View - is it all Bayer?
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 11:47:06 am »

These spceial pixels doesnt affect any image quality 'cause RAW converter software will handle it like Dead or Hot pixels.
Pages: [1]   Go Up