Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filter Bar Challenge in the Develop Module  (Read 3508 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Filter Bar Challenge in the Develop Module
« on: June 08, 2012, 05:11:14 pm »

Posted this on the Adobe forums; thought I'd add it in here too.

Hi There: I don't remember if this was a problem in LR 2.x or not, but it was a bug in LR 3.x and it's still a problem in LR 4.1. The problem is with the filter bar.

Let's say that I have a number of images to process, and I've marked them all with a blue label. I use the attribute filter to show only blue-labeled images. I select the first one, press D to develop it, and after processing I assign it a purple label. Because it no longer has a blue label, it no longer fits the filter criteria and it drops off the screen, bringing up the next blue-labeled image for processing. That is as it should be.

However, if while the next image is loading my mouse cursor hovers over the colour labels in the bottom toolbar, Lightroom will assign a colour to that image, drop it from the filter and begin loading the next one. It will keep doing this in sequence as long as my mouse cursor is there, and the colour labels vary - i.e. one would expect the (arbitrarily-assigned) label to be purple, but it might be red or yellow or...

The same problem exists with with star ratings. If I set a filter of stars = 0 in the filter bar at the top (not >/=) and use that attribute to filter unprocessed images, when finished processing if I give an image say three stars, it will drop out but if my mouse hovers over the star ratings it LR will continue to assign one, two, three stars to the next image, and so on. When I move my mouse outside of the attributes on the toolbar, it stops doing this and loads the next image that fits the filter criteria. It doesn't do this all the time, but frequently enough to be frustrating as I must then hunt down the images that have been randomly filtered and restore them to their original values.

Two things to note: one is that this happens in the Develop module, and the other is that it's not necessary to click to assign a value (beyond the first one), simply hovering over the attributes is enough.

As I say, this has been happening since at least LR 3. Windows 7 Home Premium, LR 4.1, 32-bit.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Filter Bar Challenge in the Develop Module
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 05:23:13 pm »

Mike

Are you sure that your mouse's OS settings aren't responsible? Over the years I've seen various accessibility options where hovering the mouse is treated as a click.

John

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 01:58:59 am »

Hi John:  Been living with this for so long I'm sure I must have tried different mice, but I'll look into it again.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Mike.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 02:47:15 am »

It's not so much the mouse itself, Mike, but a setting in Mouse Properties.

J

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 02:30:13 am »

I understand that, John; it's just that different mice come with their own drivers/software and that doesn't seem to matter.  I had the same problem with my old desktop and now my laptop, so it's not limited to one box, either.  I've checked the Windows Accessibility options as well as the mouse software, but there's nothing activated there.  If I'm the only one with this problem then I'll just have to keep living with it!

Mike.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 02:10:21 am »

No one else has jumped in here, so I'm assuming that no one else uses this workflow or that I'm the only one who's experienced this.  I was thinking about what John suggested, however, and that's not the answer.  To prove it, I opened Lightroom, picked an image to Develop and while it was loading ran my mouse back and forth over the colour labels and the stars.  There was no filter set so if Lightroom had randomly assigned a colour or a star rating to the image, it would still be displayed and not dropped out of the filter as I had described before.  LR only applies an attribute to an image if a filter is set in the Library module, so it's nothing the mouse is doing.  Curiouser and curiouser.

Mike.

meyerweb

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 01:42:57 pm »

Just tried it on LR 3.6, and hovering over the color selection squarel doesn't seem to do anything at all, in either the library panel or the develop panel.

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 01:56:03 pm »

I just tried this in Lightroom 4.1, and the only way that I can add a color label is to click on the color.  Nothing happens when I hover the cursor over the label colors.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 05:42:44 pm »

Thanks for trying!  Must be my mouse...

Mike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up