Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printer: To buy new or repair? How to buy or sell at a fair price?  (Read 776 times)

LFPTECH

More tips on my other thread and Eric Gulbrensan thread. I want to buy a dead Epson Pro 9900 for my repair research.

I got a few members ask about decision of selling, buying and repair the printer.

Here is the info to help you to make your decision on buying, selling or repairing and how to price your printer. 

The 40-60 rule:

It is the rule to set a fair price range for buyer and seller. It is also the rule for buying new or repairing the printer. This rule takes a neutral position to set a price that is fair to both seller and buyer. There are other factors not considered in the process that may affect the price.

The fair price is between 40% - 60% of the total replacement cost including taxes, shipping and installation. The price is also depends on condition, age, repair cost and parts availability.

For example:

I can get 9900 for $4200 (if you want the source, email me at lfptech@yahoo.com) including shipping and sales tax. (plus $200 free paper. I do not count this $200 free paper into the price)

Let apply the 40 - 60 rule. The fair price to both seller and buyer is between $1680 - $2520. For top shape condition, buyer will not pay more than $2520 for the printer. Let's say it takes $2000(head problem) to make the printer to perfect condition. The selling price should be not more than $520($2520 - $2000 = $520)so that it is fair to both seller and buyer. (Don't forget the new printer has 1 year warranty. The used printer has no warranty except the repaired/refurbished printer has 0 - 90 days warranty).

If I have to pay $500 to ship the printer from Maine to California, I would at the most pay you $20 for the printer assuming the problem is the print head only. I have to gamble there is no other problem.

Take a step further. If you sell the printer to a dealer in your area and the dealer has to make a profit. There is no shipping cost. Let's say the fair profit is 10% of the sale. That mean you have to sell the printer for $270 to the dealer.

To buy new or repair?

Same rule apply.  If the repair cost is more than $2520, buy new one. If you repair the printer and you change your mind and want to buy a new printer, you can always recover the repair cost.
Pages: [1]   Go Up