Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nexenta Storage Array Software  (Read 1088 times)

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Nexenta Storage Array Software
« on: June 08, 2012, 12:53:05 pm »

Over the past two weeks I have been immersed in a project at work involving developing hardware platforms for Nexenta enterprise-grade network storage.  Naturally, this has required me to learn a good bit about the Nexenta software itself. In a nutshell, Nexenta is open-source Solaris 10 with Solaris ZFS file management. ZFS is the generally considered to be the best file management system ever developed.

So what does this have to do with taking photos? Well, Nexenta offers a ‘community’ version of its software that you can download from their webpage, http://nexentastor.org/?utm_source=nexenta&utm_medium=referral, and use for free for up to 18TB of data. Using an old desktop computer and a couple (or more) large hard drives, you can set up a storage server for yourself that will mirror, do RAID, replicate across multiple devices, serve multiple desktop systems and do dozens of other advanced features. For photographers with large image databases such a system would be extremely useful. They have a user community forum so that anyone setting up a personal storage server has a level of support.

As for me, my 2TB backup drive is still doing the job, but I do have an old socket 775 computer I’m not using and drive prices are coming back down…
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!
Pages: [1]   Go Up