Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Note - Avoiding Nozzle Clogging  (Read 2410 times)

elolaugesen

Epson Note - Avoiding Nozzle Clogging
« on: June 08, 2012, 10:14:11 am »

Never seen this before from Epson.   I knew about dust and watching out for it but this note surprised me...

Quote....
Stylus Pro Range - How to avoid nozzle clogging when using a lot of fine art paper

RELATES TO:
Stylus Pro 11880, Stylus Pro 3800, Stylus Pro 3880, Stylus Pro 4400, Stylus Pro 4450, Stylus Pro 4800, Stylus Pro 4880, Stylus Pro 4900, Stylus Pro 7400, Stylus Pro 7450, Stylus Pro 7700, Stylus Pro 7800, Stylus Pro 7880, Stylus Pro 7890, Stylus Pro 9400, Stylus Pro 9450, Stylus Pro 9700, Stylus Pro 9800, Stylus Pro 9880
EXPLANATION:
You can deactivate some check options in the printer when using dusty fine art paper. Disable the following options from the printer's LCD panel menu, located under Printer Setup:
Paper Skew Check
Paper Size Check

The deactivation of these options avoids unnecessary production of paper dust when the printer feeds in the paper. However, there is a slight risk that the paper will not be inserted/loaded straight (i.e. with a skew) without these options enabled.
Check if the cutter has become blunt - blunting can happen if it is used too much.
A blunt cutter will produce more paper dust during the cutting process than a sharp cutter.

Cheers Elo

http://www.epson.co.uk/Printers-and-All-In-Ones/Large-Format/Epson-Stylus-Pro-3800/Drivers-Support?target=article&extn=.html&articleId=1180

Ken

• http://kenschuster.com
Re: Epson Note - Avoiding Nozzle Clogging
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 12:32:06 pm »

Thanks for that, Elo.

Does anyone know why only the 4900 of the 900 series printers is on that long list?

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 03:50:56 pm »

In my mind best practice is to always brush the paper with a good horsehair drafting brush prior to printing.  This will mitigate any issues regarding dust accumulation in the printer.

EDIT:  should have clarified that I have a 3880 print only on cut sheet paper.  Clearly for roll paper users, this is not practical.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 04:51:18 pm by Alan Goldhammer »

Ken

• http://kenschuster.com
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 04:39:55 pm »

I use a micro-weave cloth on sheets, especially along the edges. However, I use rolls for 90% of my work now and there's nothing for that other than standing at the printer with a vacuum or cloth. Speaking of which... wouldn't it be smart for printer manufacturers to make available a vacuum intake nozzle that rides with the print head, taking a tiny percentage of the vacuum that's already being used for paper positioning?
Pages: [1]   Go Up