Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC PA271W & i12 Calibration  (Read 9006 times)

iliosgallery

NEC PA271W & i12 Calibration
« on: June 07, 2012, 10:10:43 pm »

Just bought a spanking new NEC PA271W and already own the i12 from Xrite so didn't buy the optional Spectraview package. The NEC is connected to an older Intel duo Mac tower via a dual link DVI port. I send files from PS4 to an Epson 4880 printer. (Previous to the NEC 27" I used a 22" LaCie Electron Blue CRT calibrated with the i12.) I'm familiar with soft proofing and use the Premium Semi-Matte profiles supplied by Epson. I want to set my white point to 6500K, gamma to 2.2 and luminosity to as yet undetermined number, possibly 120. My issues are 1) how best to configure the display's OSD options for Photoshop and 2) how to work through the i12 menus during calibration? I believe I have a terrific monitor but am struggling with all of the OSD and i12 variables. A life line would be appreciated.

MBehrens

Re: NEC PA271W & i12 Calibration
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 01:10:12 am »

Do your self a favor and get the SpectraView software. It is a sure fire way of guaranteeing that great monitor is calibrated correctly. I've never been so happy and sure of a calibration. Odd printing results are a thing of the past.

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 02:20:15 am »

Do your self a favor and get the SpectraView software. It is a sure fire way of guaranteeing that great monitor is calibrated correctly. I've never been so happy and sure of a calibration. Odd printing results are a thing of the past.

I second this motion!

Tony Jay

iliosgallery

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 11:57:48 am »

So, are you both saying that there are no OSD variables that need to set prior to calibrating/ profiling with the Spectraview?

MBehrens

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 01:10:31 pm »

Yes, NEC does not publish their DDC Spec so Spectraview is the only software products that can communicate directly with the monitor (DDC). It is as easy as Plug in the puck, Run Spectraview, Choose a profile, and Go.

There is a software from a German company that works as well (they write SpectraView) don't remember the name and it didn't pop up on the first google search page...

Ah. Here it is...
BasicColor 5.

And BasicColor 5 will also hardware program NEC PA and WUXi montiors
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:17:24 pm by MBehrens »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 05:54:59 pm »

I second this motion!

Agreed (or get Multiprofiler).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

iliosgallery

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 08:17:34 pm »

Agreed (or get Multiprofiler).

If you are saying that you can calibrate and profile using Multiprofiler instead of the Spectraview package, please explain.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 10:01:13 pm »

If you are saying that you can calibrate and profile using Multiprofiler instead of the Spectraview package, please explain.

Correct.

iliosgallery

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 09:33:33 am »

I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my post, especially MBeherns for the info on BasICColor 5 software and Andrew Rodney for pointing me to NEC's Multiprofiler. Oddly enough,  the NEC Users Manual makes no mention of Multiprofiler. Maybe NEC is hoping that everyone will spring for the Spectraview package from the get go. At any rate, Multiprofiler and its Users Guide are free downloads from the NEC web site and are a tremendous help in understanding the capabilities and controls of this monitor. The download is highly recommended. The main issue with Multiprofiler, although easy and effective, is its efficacy over the age of the monitor. That is, at how many hours of usage does it become necessary to recalibrate using a colorimeter if at all? If anyone out there has used both over time I would appreciate your feedback.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 11:47:10 am »

The main issue with Multiprofiler, although easy and effective, is its efficacy over the age of the monitor. That is, at how many hours of usage does it become necessary to recalibrate using a colorimeter if at all? If anyone out there has used both over time I would appreciate your feedback.

On paper, it is supposed to track this by adjusting itself based on the number of hours the unit has been active. Does it work? I don’t know. Might be way too early to tell. But this is supposed to be compensated for.

shewhorn

• http://
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 12:41:01 pm »

Yes, NEC does not publish their DDC Spec so Spectraview is the only software products that can communicate directly with the monitor (DDC). It is as easy as Plug in the puck, Run Spectraview, Choose a profile, and Go.

There is a software from a German company that works as well (they write SpectraView) don't remember the name and it didn't pop up on the first google search page...

Ah. Here it is...
BasicColor 5.

And BasicColor 5 will also hardware program NEC PA and WUXi montiors

A few points of clarification... Spectraview Profiler (aka BasICColor Display) and Spectraview II are completely different pieces of software. The BasICColor folks don't do Spectraview II. Also, these two are no longer the only manufacturers that support the PA series via DDC. Integrated Color's Color Eyes Display Pro version 1.6 now supports all PA series monitors (the LCDxx90 series appears to work as well). Version 1.6 is currently only available for OS X. The Windows version is still in development.

Cheers, Joe

MBehrens

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 08:24:11 pm »

Wow, CEDP now supports NEC PA* monitors with DDC. That's great news, being a long term CEDP user I was disappointed when I had to go to Spectraview. Hadn't been back to check.

Thanks Joe!

gianluca.pirro

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 04:54:30 pm »

I rise about two software Spectraview II and BasicColor Display 5 (or Spectraview Profiler). I know and read the only software can access to LUT 3D 14 bit via hardware is Spectraview II for NEC PA Series. BasicColor Display 5 can just communicate directly with the monitor as Color Eyes (DDC) but produce a software calibration by video card not hardware calibration into the monitor LUT 3D 14 bit. BasicColor Display 5, instead, can produce a hardware calibration just with NEC Spectraview Series (Selected NEC PA for european market with a different firmware).
On the other hand, Basiccolor Display 5 is more advanced software, it can do LUT profiles 16 bit vs matrix profile of Spectraview II and with PA Series you can obtain better DeltaE errors than Spectraview II

Spectraview II, PA271W and i1 Display Pro

BasicColor Display 5, PA271W and i1 Display Pro

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 04:56:15 pm by gianluca.pirro »
Pages: [1]   Go Up