Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: automatic CA removal in LR 4  (Read 1710 times)

simonstucki

automatic CA removal in LR 4
« on: June 07, 2012, 06:07:55 pm »

well I think it is very useful and works great if the image shows any CAs, but when I used it on an image that had no CAs it made things worse (well I just checked the box because I thought it can't hurt and then later I noticed some red lining around a high contrast edge so I turned it off and was surprised that it was gone). so I guess one shouldn't apply it to a whole catalog as I think adobe suggested. have a look and let me know if you have experienced similar behavior.

Tony Jay

Re: automatic CA removal in LR 4
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 08:02:13 pm »

Very interesting obseravtion Simon.
No doubt Schewe will add an editorial at some point.

Regards

Tony Jay

Rand47

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 08:16:55 pm »

Thanks for sharing.  In the LULA tutorials the checkbox is, indeed, represented as a "freebie" sort of thing by Michael.  A "can't do any harm" selection.
I'm wondering if this particular image is the exception that proves the rule, or??

Michael, Jeff?
Rand Scott Adams

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 08:58:07 pm »

well I think it is very useful and works great if the image shows any CAs, but when I used it on an image that had no CAs it made things worse (well I just checked the box because I thought it can't hurt and then later I noticed some red lining around a high contrast edge so I turned it off and was surprised that it was gone). so I guess one shouldn't apply it to a whole catalog as I think adobe suggested. have a look and let me know if you have experienced similar behavior.

It would be useful if you understand the differences between Lateral CS and Axial (longitudinal) CA which translates into Defringing in LR 4.1 then you would understand he Lateral CA has been fixed but not what remains which is color fringing caused by Axial (longitudinal) CA...try that and get back to us...

simonstucki

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 03:51:33 am »

It would be useful if you understand the differences between Lateral CS and Axial (longitudinal) CA which translates into Defringing in LR 4.1 then you would understand he Lateral CA has been fixed but not what remains which is color fringing caused by Axial (longitudinal) CA...try that and get back to us...

that would be indeed helpful, however I have to admit I am completely ignorant on this subject. I will look into it. but I don't really see something wrong with the pre CA fix image. are you saying that there is "something wrong" with that image that is fixed by the auto CA correction but the fix makes an other problem visible? I think the original image doesn't need any correction, but then again as I said im not very competent on this subject. thanks for the comment anyway. I'll look into that axial CA thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up