Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not Calibrating the NEC PA 241W  (Read 8846 times)

billy

Not Calibrating the NEC PA 241W
« on: June 07, 2012, 04:59:05 pm »

hi, I bought this display because you do not have to calibrate it with a device/software.I am using a MAC OSX 10.7.4 computer. What do I set my system prefernces/display/color/ display profile to? I have 2 options, 'PA241W' or 'Display'. And then, how do I make sure my settings are 2.2 gamma and D65 whitepoint? If I select 'Calibrate' it opens up a dialog window to 'calibrate monitor' but I dont want to do that, right?

or is there another area to verify my gamma and whitepoint?

Rand47

Re: Not Calibrating the NEC PA 241W
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 08:25:57 pm »

hi, I bought this display because you do not have to calibrate it with a device/software.I am using a MAC OSX 10.7.4 computer. What do I set my system prefernces/display/color/ display profile to? I have 2 options, 'PA241W' or 'Display'. And then, how do I make sure my settings are 2.2 gamma and D65 whitepoint? If I select 'Calibrate' it opens up a dialog window to 'calibrate monitor' but I dont want to do that, right?

or is there another area to verify my gamma and whitepoint?

What leads you to believe that you don't need to calibrate this monitor with something like SV II?  I looked at the specs and reviews and don't see any such reference to some sort of "auto calibration."  Maybe I'm missing something.  At minimum you'd want to be able to set luminance to match printer output.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:36:45 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:25:05 pm »

Billy, I do think that you need to do your homework before buying such expensive hardware!

The advantage of this monitor is that it gives very consistent output across the screen, as well as a gamut that nearly encompasses the Adobe RGB colour space and the ability to reduce the brightness well below that achievable with lower-end monitors (crucial for softproofing and printing), and along with the offerings from Eizo represent the industry standard at this point for high-end graphic, digital and video, image editing.

None of this negates the requirement for calibration. It is absolutely vital and without calibration would be roughly equivalent to buying a Ferrari and using it to tow a large caravan - possible, but a complete waste of time and money.

There are several proprietary pucks one can use to calibrate the monitor - look at the documentation and decide for yourself.

If I were you I would invest in the tutorial - Camera to Print and Screen (available from LuLa) - to get a better idea of the whole process of colour managment. It isn't really that hard - one just needs to know this stuff - and it does become second nature after a while.

Another cool feature of this monitor is that it allows different calibrations for different purposes.

So, learn how to use this monitor, and how to calibrate it properly, and it will reward you.

Regards

Tony Jay
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:32:37 pm by Tony Jay »

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 01:32:18 pm »

Use NEC Multiprofiler software - it will calibrate the display and set the appropriate profile in OS automagically.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

billy

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 10:59:10 am »

hello and thanks for your input everyone. awhile back here in this forum, 'digital dog' said you do not have to calibrate this monitor(if I understood him correctly). i couldnt find the thread. perhaps he can chime in?

Tony Jay

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 07:52:08 pm »

Having read hundreds of posts and articles and books by Andrew Rodney on this topic I would suggest that you have completely misunderstood him.

Regards

Tony Jay

billy

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 11:20:48 pm »

Having read hundreds of posts and articles and books by Andrew Rodney on this topic I would suggest that you have completely misunderstood him.

Regards

Tony Jay

ok thanks guys. i have spectraview 2 software and a monaco optix, i will calibrate.

Tony Jay

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 06:22:26 am »

Great stuff.

Should work well

Regards

Tony Jay

billy

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 04:29:16 pm »

Rats. I just tried to calibrate my NEC PA 241w with a monaco optix and spectraview2 and got a corrupt profile. it seems the new Mac OSX 10.7.4 does not support the monaco device. any reco's on an inexpensive device to work with spectraview 2?

howardm

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 07:33:16 pm »

That shouldn't be an OSX 'issue' but rather Spectraview.  Do you have the latest versin 1.1.10?

from it's manual...........

Supported Calibration Sensors for Mac OS X
• GretagMacbethEye-OneDisplayV1
• X-Rite/GretagMacbethEye-OneDisplay V2
• X-Rite/GretagMacbethEye-OneMonitor, Eye-One Pro.
• X-RiteColorMunki.
• X-RiteiOneDisplayPro
• NECSpectraSensorPro
• NECMDSVSensor
• MonacoOptixXR(X-RiteDTP94).
• ColorVision/DatacolorSpyder2.
• DatacolorSpyder3andSpyder4.
• BasICColorDiscus.

billy

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 12:01:45 am »

That shouldn't be an OSX 'issue' but rather Spectraview.  Do you have the latest versin 1.1.10?

from it's manual...........

Supported Calibration Sensors for Mac OS X
• GretagMacbethEye-OneDisplayV1
• X-Rite/GretagMacbethEye-OneDisplay V2
• X-Rite/GretagMacbethEye-OneMonitor, Eye-One Pro.
• X-RiteColorMunki.
• X-RiteiOneDisplayPro
• NECSpectraSensorPro
• NECMDSVSensor
• MonacoOptixXR(X-RiteDTP94).
• ColorVision/DatacolorSpyder2.
• DatacolorSpyder3andSpyder4.
• BasICColorDiscus.

yes, I have the latest Version of Spectraview.

yeah I saw that they said it was supported but when I ran the device with spectraview it made my monitor have 'blacked out boxes' within every software application. When i deleted the profile from system prefernces>dipslay> color the problem was gone. I called monaco and they said the device was not supported by mac lion osx.

howardm

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 08:06:10 am »

all I'll say is that *usually* when a mfgr says it's 'unsupported', they are referring to using their own software as they always toss any knowledge of using a different piece of software.

Anyway, WillH from NEC is on this board so maybe he can chime in.  It sounds like a bad SV implementation of DTP support.

You may want to download/trial the BasICColor Display software and see if that has the same problem.

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 10:14:43 am »

I don't think this is a sensor issue. I seem to remember this being something weird with how the profile's LUT info is read and set in the video card on some versions of Mac OS on some systems. The way to check would be to:

1. Look at the response curves measured by SpectraView - do they look normal? If so it is not a sensor issue.

2. Open the profile with the colorsync utility and take a look at the TRC and vcgt tags. The vcgt should show a straight line. The r, g, and  b TRCs should be curves.

3. If you swap to another profile and the weridness goes away, then it is something with the profile and how Mac OS is reading it. You can send me a copy to take a look at.

Have you tried using MultiProfiler? Does that cause the same problem?

BTW - Even though you can take "measurements" with the DTP94, it's accuracy on the PA241's wide gamut panel will not be ideal. You may want to look into an iOne Display Pro device for the future.
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

Bill Koenig

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 11:02:58 am »

I have the NEC Spectra Sensor Pro which is the latest release of this calorimeter. With this and the Spectraview II software, makes calibrating the monitor a dream. And the fact that you can make multiple profiles is a added benefit.   
Bill Koenig,

rechchemical

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 10:56:34 pm »

i also have this problem~

mcgruenigen

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 07:59:07 am »

From my experience, I also think that you don't really _need_ to calibrate/profile a NEC PA since every display is individually measured at the factory with high quality equipment. These individual measurements can be accessed my NEC's MultiProfiler which will create quite decent profiles. Since the display also features a backlight ageing correction, it will not drift from the factory measurements too much too soon.

In my comparison between a MultiProfiler profile (which is based on the factory measurements) and a profile I created with my i1Pro, the average dE was less than 1 and the highest slightly above dE 2, which I think is quite impressive given the fact we are talking about profiles made with two different measurement devices and different profiling packages.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 08:20:46 am by mcgruenigen »

Tony Jay

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 08:05:31 am »

Hmmm.

jonathan.lipkin

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 11:25:08 am »

I had this exact same problem last week. Monaco does not support later versions of hte Mac OS. However, you would not want to use their software. I used an earlier version of Spectraview and got black backgrounds in my finder windows. I emailed NEC, and because I had bought a copy of Spectraview II recently, they gave me a free update to the most recent version which is 1.1.12.1 and I was able to generate a proper profile for my display, an older NEC 26wuxi 90, I think

MarkM

• Alaska Photographer Mark Meyer
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 02:28:54 pm »

From my experience, I also think that you don't really _need_ to calibrate/profile a NEC PA since every display is individually measured at the factory with high quality equipment. These individual measurements can be accessed my NEC's MultiProfiler which will create quite decent profiles. Since the display also features a backlight ageing correction, it will not drift from the factory measurements too much too soon.

In my comparison between a MultiProfiler profile (which is based on the factory measurements) and a profile I created with my i1Pro, the average dE was less than 1 and the highest slightly above dE 2, which I think is quite impressive given the fact we are talking about profiles made with two different measurement devices and different profiling packages.

This is my experience as well with the monitor. I have an i1 Pro and spectraview. I go through motions every now and then, but end up just using MultiProfiler. Maybe as it gets older, it will shift, but I can't currently measure any significant difference.

Maybe this is the thread you are looking for: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=47268.0
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 02:33:50 pm by MarkM »

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 07:51:27 pm »

hello and thanks for your input everyone. awhile back here in this forum, 'digital dog' said you do not have to calibrate this monitor(if I understood him correctly). i couldnt find the thread. perhaps he can chime in?

Oddly enough I am asking the same questions in another thread in this forum. Take a look at http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=74221.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up