Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Short holiday in Utah.  (Read 6152 times)

Mcthecat

• mickwatsonphotography
Short holiday in Utah.
« on: June 07, 2012, 04:33:08 pm »

Had a road trip to Utan from England then of to the mountains of north america. I was very lucky i guess. The last one was a nightmare to get to. Prefer the mono. Bryce was again very lucky with the sunrise but the colors, wow! They'll do for me. Not bad for an amateur on my second ever trip to the USA. Bit differant to my usual motorcycles.

Canon 1DS3 14mm and 16-35mm Lee filters and lots of other stuff ive forgotton.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 04:37:55 pm by Mcthecat »

John E

Re: Short holiday in Utah.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 05:02:40 pm »

Mc (thecat?), you should be rightly proud of these shots of rather well known photographic Southwestern icons.

I like the Mesa Arch shot, as it's from a different angle than most who visit there. Did you have to elbow your way in, past the usual hordes of early morning photogs?

The shot of Courthouse Tower has very nice morning light, creating very effective shadowing.

Bryce Canyon is a bit like Grand Canyon, it's difficult to get a shot that hasn't been taken thousands of times before. Again, however, your choice of early morning gives a nice diffused lighting to the bowl, which is nice.

I feel you also made a good choice with B&W for the Kiva shot - adds some nice drama. Also looks like you lucked out with the weather, some nice clouds in all these shots, and on many occasions here in the west you'll get absoulutely gorgeous (but relatively useless photographically) clear blue skies.

All in all, well done.

John E
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:08:58 pm by John E »

shutterpup

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 05:30:11 pm »

I like the Kiva shot best, with the repeating curves showing off the Kiva shape.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 08:56:52 pm »

This is the Critique section. These should be in the Knock Your Socks Off section.
Scott

francois

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 05:13:39 am »

Absolutely lovely photos. I particularly like the Courthouse sunrise and False Kiva…
Francois

Tony Jay

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 05:27:56 am »

Courthouse Tower - gorgeous!

Regards

Tony Jay

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 05:42:31 am »

I think I am going to be a lone dissenting voice here. The compositions are very strong, but for my taste all of these pictures look very over-processed and unnatural. They no longer seem like photographs, but sit uneasily somewhere between photography and movie poster art.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 06:09:19 am »

I think I am going to be a lone dissenting voice here. The compositions are very strong, but for my taste all of these pictures look very over-processed and unnatural. They no longer seem like photographs, but sit uneasily somewhere between photography and movie poster art.

John

No, John, not the lone voice in the wilderness. I find them to be representaive of all that I dislike in landscape photography. At the end of the day, it all amounts to more tourists' shots of the Eiffel Tower or Nelson's Column. Did you know that in a BJP article about the old Image Bank, they published the claim that the Image Bank had 36,000 images of the Eiffel Tower? Worse, the treatment here seems, to me, to be almost de rigueur with this kind of subject. Arizona Highways has much to answer for, methinks.

It's as if it really isn't enough to be there; it's as if one is obliged to ape all the other folks who've been there and taken a snap as well. Some experience is spiritual and should be recognized as such. When did anyone last see a convincing shot of a spirit (non-alcoholic)?

So to conclude, I don't blame the photographer at all but I do blame the ethos that breeds this cultural paradigm.

Rob C

Mcthecat

• mickwatsonphotography
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 07:36:45 am »

Hi all, thanks for the comments. Firstly, i am a tourist. I fly 8,500 miles to a foreign land not to get landscapes but to photograph animals. I had four days spare so as a tourist, what am i going to take pictures of? Memories. I drove to the various places i could to get shots i can never get at home, for use at home. Yes if i lived their, had lots of time, could go back again and again i would get more/better stuff but as i cant, i took memories. That said i think they are good memories as good as many worse than others.

I flew 8500 miles in two planes, stayed in motels, drove 1500 miles walked across deserts alone with no mobile for 90 minutes in %85 heat no one around, or climed down 1000 ft drop cliffs one slip and i was dead. The planning took a year and i had four days to get some landscapes before i drove north for the animals. Some were so easy like Mesa Arch but taken at a very different angle, some very difficult like the Kiva. I went through a lot to get some of the pics. Yes i can do the lone twig in the desert, the old person with a wrinkle in his face from India the arty shapes in a rock and maybe if i ever go back i will but i didnt have the time and wanted memories. I take motorcycle racing shots mainly, this was a break from my day job.

When i first went to Paris as an example i did the "big stuff" like the Eiffel Tower then when i went back i spent three days taking pictures of the homeless beggars. When i go again ill do other stuff. Thats what we tourists do big stuff first, arty stuff later. Its developing your local knowledge to improve your photography. Remember, i dont have the advantage of staying in places for weeks, having a studio or anything like that. Im a tourist. As for the pictures being a over processed thats not fair. Ill post you two files unadjusted in RAW. The Kiva has had no post RAW adjustments, you can even see the dirt in the sky and its the color version. I found a Bryce picture that has had a levels adjustment on the bottom as it was impossible to get the exposure correct due to the sun and three stop Lee filter. I think it was approx half a stop underexposed to get the sky having no blown pixels. No colours, no contrast no sharpen nothing otherwise. Even the dirt on the sensor is included. I agree though Utah colors do look very vibrant. That said if mine were half as good as Tom Till in Moab id be a very happy tourist. Actually, i was.

Mick

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 07:42:23 am by Mcthecat »

Tony Jay

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 07:50:31 am »

Mick, you can come and be a tourist in Oz anytime.

BTW your camera will really enjoy the trip.

Regards

Tony Jay

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 07:56:43 am »

Mick

I did say that your pictures "look" very over-processed to me, so mine was a very personal opinion. But to me, the less-processed version of Bryce that you just posted looks very much better than the first one.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 09:24:27 am »

These pictures ought to sell well at an art fair, Mick. Buyers love that level of color saturation.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

shutterpup

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 10:01:24 am »

Mick,
Having just returned from Zion National Park in Utah in April, I will attest to the fact that the reality of those colors is just as they are in your pictures. Over-saturation? No, I don't agree. The area, including Bryce, is called "vermillion" for a reason. The color explodes everywhere. And I live in southern Arizona, just a day's drive from this area in Utah. But alas, there was a nasty snow storm when I was there in April, so we went to Zion instead(which I think is more impressive than the normal person's experience of the Grand Canyon) and I have the "vermillion" photos to prove it.  ;)

Mcthecat

• mickwatsonphotography
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 10:18:33 am »

Im just so jealous. Wish i lived there. The colours are insane. Did you visit Tom Tills gallery in Moab? What a top photographer. I must admit walking up the virgin narrows in snow melt with nothing but a large camera bag, running shoes, shorts and a t shirt isnt advisable, I wondered why all the American guys had dry suits on. A few asked me if i was cold and if i was ok? I said i was fine, i live near Scotland, the water was like a warm bath to me. If you have never walked the narrows you wont know the effort i put in to get the pics. If you have you'll think i was mad. Waist deep in icy water...lovely.

But again, the colors of those south western deserts blew me away. I homestly thought Photoshop when i first seen them but no, the colors are as seen, utterly amazing. Although the animals i got oop north are pretty good. Arnt grizzlys big, and my what big teath you have.

Is it ok to post a couple more or is four the limit.

Mick

shutterpup

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 02:42:16 pm »

Post away! Not aware of any limit  :)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 04:56:51 pm »

No limits on images here - but with every image you open yourself to both critiques and criticism!  ;D The B&W of the original four is my favourite, though.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Mcthecat

• mickwatsonphotography
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 06:56:19 pm »

Thanks all, heres a few others.The first one  involved a 250 mile drive, turn off on a dirt road. Drive 4 miles across a desert. Find a trail, walk 90 minutes in the heat in a creek then a climb up a cliff to catch the light before it illuminated the rocks. All done with no help, all alone, no phone and not a single person to be seen. Although i did have a small bottle of water. Im an idiot! The color version is very vibrant. The second was easier to get to must admit. Few people kicking around aswell. Had a great chat to a guy whos into sports pictures like me. Oh and yes the colors are like that, the sun reflects of the opposite rock at that time of year and day. Decided to ignore the panorama in Canyonlands and do the arty twig in the desert at sunset look. The forth one is a rain storm over Delicate Arch. My climb up the cliff to the left was indeed a stupid idea and one slip would have been the end for old Mick. The best shots on the trip are my animals. I may post them later.

Mick

Mcthecat

• mickwatsonphotography
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 07:09:35 pm »

Ill only post one animal pic from the trip. If i get over this damm heart thing ive contracted im off to northern Europe for Golden Eagle stuff next year or maybe wild horses in southern France. This hobby has taken over my life. Still miss my sports pics though.

Mick
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 07:13:07 pm by Mcthecat »

shutterpup

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 08:10:12 pm »

I like the twig in the desert art pic very much. Your other b&w looks odd, with the ledge so shiny and where it is located. Very much like the fox.

shutterpup

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 09:15:07 pm »

Im just so jealous. Wish i lived there. The colours are insane. Did you visit Tom Tills gallery in Moab? What a top photographer. I must admit walking up the virgin narrows in snow melt with nothing but a large camera bag, running shoes, shorts and a t shirt isnt advisable, I wondered why all the American guys had dry suits on. A few asked me if i was cold and if i was ok? I said i was fine, i live near Scotland, the water was like a warm bath to me. If you have never walked the narrows you wont know the effort i put in to get the pics. If you have you'll think i was mad. Waist deep in icy water...lovely.

But again, the colors of those south western deserts blew me away. I homestly thought Photoshop when i first seen them but no, the colors are as seen, utterly amazing. Although the animals i got oop north are pretty good. Arnt grizzlys big, and my what big teath you have.

Is it ok to post a couple more or is four the limit.

Mick

We didn't get up to Moab. We were in Kanab so I could volunteer at Best Friends Society, a no-kill shelter for any kind of animal needing the help. It was the trip of a lifetime for me and a birthday gift from my husband. Went to Zion the day before the big snowstorm. Started volunteering the day after. Wanted to see the hoodoos of Bryce for myself, but maybe on a return trip to Kanab for more volunteering  :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up