Author Topic: Island  (Read 1519 times)

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
Island
« on: June 07, 2012, 02:11:40 pm »

Comments are appreciated, as always.

Thanks
William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Island
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 02:49:45 pm »

Rhapsody in gray?

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 01:59:07 am »

Rhapsody in gray?

"Rhapsody" I'll take. Not so sure about "gray"! Thanks  ???
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 01:08:02 pm »

I think what Slobodan was trying to say is that the pictures is very grey.  I'm guessing the sky was probably a deep blue, but the mono treatment just leaves it a huge almost featureless grey 60% of the picture.  Perhaps cropping off the top third would help a bit.  I think this is a picture that would possibly be better in colour.

Jim

amolitor

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 05:25:39 pm »

I think this is potentially fantastic. The wisp of cloud upper left balances beautifully with the forms of the trees, so your negative space in the sky isn't flat, it's perfectly subtle, to my eye. I like the grasses at the bottom, giving another field of almost-negative-space here to echo the sky. The trees are really fortuitously placed.

The only quibble I have is that there seems to be a lot of local contrast in the trees, and in the small size we see online it's really visually chaotic and not quite pleasant to look at. It's possible that in a larger size this would be perfectly beautiful, but I feel like it's also possible you've leaned on a 'sharpen' control a little too hard for my taste.

If the trees were more of a coherent mass, and less visually busy, then you've got a lovely abstract with two spaces (sky/grass) and some simple forms (trees/cloud) laid gently on them. The forms resolve in to real objects when you look a second more, and that's a nice reward.

Honestly, this is a photo that I think would benefit from some blurring. If it were rendered as some sort of Talbot-era paper negative salt print thing, I think it would be shockingly fantastic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up