Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turn off Parent linked view?  (Read 2588 times)

One Frame at a Time

Turn off Parent linked view?
« on: June 06, 2012, 10:45:53 pm »

I'm having some trouble staying organized  LR.  I'm well organized in my daily computer life in windows and using folders to keep things sorted.  In light room though I am making errors.  I think the way you see all the images in the parent folder is confusing.  When I worked in Photoshop I would batch process a bunch Raw images into Web sized jpegs and put them  a sub folder called WEB.  in light room , all the images show up in the parent folder.   Its cumbersome and making my work flow difficult.  Can I change this behavior?   Thanks!

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
Re: Turn off Parent linked view?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 11:59:05 pm »

Yes.  To the right of the "Folders" is a little + sign with a dropdown.  Click on the + sign, and deselect "Show Photos in Subfolders" and then you won't see photos in subfolders.

That said, I think it's a bad idea to store photos in folders, AND in subfolders, from a workflow perspective.  It will end up making it a lot tougher to find and organize photos down the road.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 02:08:25 am »

I can't think of a good reason for creating and keeping web-sized jpegs in LR. I suspect your workflow needs to be re-thought.

Jeremy

Pete_G

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 07:25:42 am »

I can't think of a good reason for creating and keeping web-sized jpegs in LR. I suspect your workflow needs to be re-thought.

Jeremy

One good reason is that one may want to keep certain web based images in a folder, "just for the record", and since LR is partly a catalogue, one may wish the folder to be tracked by LR, so that the images are accessible and visible. The OP doesn't, rightly, want to be bothered by these images on a day to day basis, and therefore wanted a way to disable the view of the web sub-folder. I don't see a workflow problem here.

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 09:43:58 am »

All welcome and great comments - thanks!  Wondering out loud, how do you guys create web images from your RAW images (for web use and display) and keep them out of LR?  And, why would you want to do that?  I can see the advantage of keeping these web files in a subfolder but not the mentioned disadvantage.  Whats the disadvantage?  Thanks again.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 09:59:31 am »

Well, the disadvantage is that you are making the LR catalogue bigger. And that can make LR run slower, depending on the spec of your PC or Mac. And if you have created the web images by exporting them from LR (which I assume you have), you will never want to edit them again in LR (probably - unless to make a new crop, perhaps).

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 12:38:39 pm »

One good reason is that one may want to keep certain web based images in a folder, "just for the record", and since LR is partly a catalogue, one may wish the folder to be tracked by LR, so that the images are accessible and visible. The OP doesn't, rightly, want to be bothered by these images on a day to day basis, and therefore wanted a way to disable the view of the web sub-folder. I don't see a workflow problem here.

The LR paradigm, as I understand it, is to produce final, baked versions of photographs only when they're needed, for printing or export.

There's no need at all to keep burned jpegs in LR's catalogue; the simpler and better approach is to keep the instructions needed to produce them again. The best way of doing that which occurs to me is to use virtual copies, which if they are stacked with the original images aren't visible but are readily available to re-produce the web jpegs as and when required. There may be others.

The workflow OFaaT describes strikes me as perfectly valid when only PS was available; but capable of improvement now he has LR available.

The trouble with turning off "show photos in subfolders" is that it applies throughout the catalogue and deprives him of something which is potentially pretty useful. Still, the beauty of options is that they're available to those who wish to use them. There's more than one way to skin a cat (I'm told).

Jeremy

AFairley

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 02:12:20 pm »

Well, you could keep the exported web jpegs in a separate LR catalog if performance issues are a concern.

s4e

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 02:30:09 pm »

Or export them in a subfolder and don't include the exported photos in Lightroom?

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 02:54:31 pm »

Or export them in a subfolder and don't include the exported photos in Lightroom?

That is what I do, no need to have them back in the catalog.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Photobird

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 07:35:35 pm »

Hi

I'd suggest having a look at Publish Services.
I use this to "publish" jpg's to folders on my hard drive for various uses. LR keeps track of them but does not add the jpg files to library.
In same way I publish to Smugmug.
Publish Services let's you manage the images, it is just another form of "collections".
I have even installed a plug-in to create borders and text annotations (Mogrify).

In the LR4 video 36 Schewe shows using Publish services to manage a portfolio on a iPad.

I use Export to create "diposable files", i.e. one's I don't want to keep track of in LR.

Craig

www.craigparkerimages.com
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:00:30 am by Photobird »
Pages: [1]   Go Up