Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question so simple I'm embarrassed to ask. Is there a correct or standard.....  (Read 3201 times)

Mjollnir

angle of view for LCD monitors?  This is in terms of seeing colors 'correctly', as in not having blues/greens become dark mush.

Yes, I know, I can tilt it until that changes, but I'm curious to know if there's some standard angle.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site

Most good-quality monitors will allow a reasonable spread of angles before the colours change too much. Still, you can't go wrong with "straight on".

Jeremy

Mjollnir

Most good-quality monitors will allow a reasonable spread of angles before the colours change too much. Still, you can't go wrong with "straight on".

Jeremy

Thanks.  Perhaps because I'm tall, I'm most comfortable in a position looking down by about 20 degrees at the screen, and this leads to some variations when I see what I've uploaded from, say, someone else's computer.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com

The standard is simply correct, which is definitely straight on, and with the better monitors more and more off from that.  If you see a shift, tilt or get a better monitor.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site

Thanks.  Perhaps because I'm tall, I'm most comfortable in a position looking down by about 20 degrees at the screen, and this leads to some variations when I see what I've uploaded from, say, someone else's computer.
I think you need to tilt your monitor upwards, then. Imagine a perpendicular drawn from the centre of the screen: it should hit you between the eyes. That's a counsel of perfection, however, which is almost certainly unnecessarily precise.

Jeremy

Walter Schulz

Your question has 2 aspects to reply to:

- Physical limitations of the monitor itself

There are several display technologies. One of the oldest (and cheapest for a long time) is TN. It's prone to color shifts when viewed from different angles, esp. vertical. It is often used in laptops because it comes with good power characteristics.
Displays based on VA (MVA, PVA) and IPS (and some more exotic) are considered to be better suited for graphics/post processing. Critical colour shifts will be seen only at wider angles ... much wider angles.
If you are looking for differences (or a new monitor) you may visit http://www.prad.de and take a look at their in-depth monitor reviews.
If you want to see how your monitor performs at different angles: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php

- Ergonomics
There are some rules given by several institutes about workplace ergonomics for computer workplaces. As in most "soft" areas you will have a hard time to find hard evidence (well, "soft" is the opposite of hard, obviously) or reproducable data for their recommendations.
Using this as a disclaimer I suggest you google/bing/yahoo around a bit and look for something like "computer workplace ergonomics" or something like that.
One thing I have to suggest, because it cannot be said often enough: If you don't already own a *very good* chair, get the best one you can afford. If you haven't experienced the difference you won't believe what a good chair adds to your comfort/health and therefore to your productivity. Short term and long term. If you're young and laughing right now I understand. But just take a survey under the "old farts" and ask the desk jockeys among them and what their spine troubles are doing. Prepare for bleeding ears ...

Ciao, Walter

PS: A viewing standard for eye-monitor-orientation is to have the upper monitor edge at eye level. Requires a vertically adjustable monitor stand which is not given for some "home entertainment" devices.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 05:43:45 am by Walter Schulz »

lfeagan

The top of the monitor should be a 2 to 3 inches above where your eyes focus when looking straight ahead (horizontally).

For more info and a better description: http://www.healthycomputing.com/office/setup/monitor/

I have been following this advice for decades and have been quite happy with the result. I also have a desk with a height/angle adjustable keyboard tray/platform that really helps out.
Lance

Nikon: D700, D800E, PC-E 24mm f/3.5D ED, PC-E 45mm f/2.8D ED, PC-E 85mm f/2.8D, 50mm f/1.4G, 14-24 f/2.8G ED, 24-70 f/2.8G ED, 70-200 f/2.8G ED VR II, 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
Fuji: X-Pro 1, 14mm f/2.8, 18mm f/2.0, 35mm f/1.4
Pages: [1]   Go Up