Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony RX100...  (Read 93681 times)

maxgruzen

• http://www.pbase.com/mordicai
Re: Sony RX100...
« Reply #120 on: September 06, 2012, 02:38:16 pm »

Strange...My first camera with IS and I have been amazed at being able to hand hold at 1/20 sec with sharp results ??

mac_paolo

« Reply #121 on: September 06, 2012, 06:13:12 pm »

DxOMark review: 66 points

LINK

armand

• Photos
« Reply #122 on: September 06, 2012, 08:12:47 pm »

DxOMark review: 66 points

LINK

Interesting, a little better than speculated in some areas and a little worse in others.
Compared to Canon S100: low iso is only a little over 1 stop advantage, which is probably right (I was thinking more towards 2 stops but likely it was the new camera enthusiasm talking). Much better on the other parameters.

Also, comparing to my other camera Nikon D90, it's almost a perfect match except the low iso performance.

Some critique against it is that at higher iso it loses the color accuracy faster than other cameras, such as Nikon J1/V1, don't know if this is true.

Bottom line, for this size or less (pocketable) there is nothing better on the market.

mac_paolo

« Reply #123 on: September 07, 2012, 02:39:35 am »

Interesting, a little better than speculated in some areas and a little worse in others.
Compared to Canon S100: low iso is only a little over 1 stop advantage, which is probably right (I was thinking more towards 2 stops but likely it was the new camera enthusiasm talking). Much better on the other parameters.

Also, comparing to my other camera Nikon D90, it's almost a perfect match except the low iso performance.

Some critique against it is that at higher iso it loses the color accuracy faster than other cameras, such as Nikon J1/V1, don't know if this is true.

Bottom line, for this size or less (pocketable) there is nothing better on the market.

Agree. Beside making the classical dual illuminant profile, I may decide to make single/dual illuminant profiles on specific high ISO to be able to get fine colors for nightlife or indoor parties.
Before anyone asks, yes: I'd like to have true colors even for party shots. That's me :)

thierrylegros396

« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2012, 01:27:29 pm »

Strange...My first camera with IS and I have been amazed at being able to hand hold at 1/20 sec with sharp results ??

With my S90 I'm able to hand hold at 0.5 sec with sharp results ;) ;) ;)

So, very deceived with the RX100 Steadyshot !!!

maxgruzen

• http://www.pbase.com/mordicai
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2012, 10:07:07 pm »

That's fabulous that your able to hand hold for 1/2 sec. I've never had that talent, so I'm quite happy that the rx100 allows me that option.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2012, 12:36:26 pm »

From DP review forum, what confirms my tests:

1. "I've noticed this too. For still images, steadyshot doesn't seem to do anything at all at the wide end and maybe 1 stop at the long end. I find the IS on my canon s90 to be extremely effective, so I'm pretty sure it's not something I'm doing wrong.

On the other hand, steadyshot on video is fantastic. Unfortunately I don't really care about video too much."

2. "Hopefully it can be rectified soon.
Maybe they forgot to enable it in firmware !
But that would be embarrassing."

So, I've asked Sony about that.

Hope to have good news because, it's an interresting feature when hiking or biking without a tripod !

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

armand

• Photos
« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2012, 09:16:25 pm »

As a side note about the screen: it looks better in the sun than other LCDs BUT it has to be clean. If it gets a thin grease/dust pelicle on it as most do its performance is not that good.
And it scratches easily! I cleaned it with my t-shirt (I know) and a got a small scratch on it, and I didn't see any particles on it before cleaning. As Murphy law is working this was just one day before the shipment of the semirigid protective screen arrived and the first LCD I scratch (ever)  >:(

mac_paolo

« Reply #128 on: September 12, 2012, 08:53:39 am »

From DP review forum, what confirms my tests:

1. "I've noticed this too. For still images, steadyshot doesn't seem to do anything at all at the wide end and maybe 1 stop at the long end. I find the IS on my canon s90 to be extremely effective, so I'm pretty sure it's not something I'm doing wrong.

On the other hand, steadyshot on video is fantastic. Unfortunately I don't really care about video too much."
100% agree. I'm somewhat disappointed by the IS.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #129 on: September 12, 2012, 12:40:25 pm »

Message to all RX100 owners.

Could you please, contact your respective country dealer to inform them of the problem ?

Or better, if someone may inform Sony Japan Headquarters, it could be kind.

I hope it's a firmware problem, so Sony has to be clearly and quickly informed !!

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

mac_paolo

« Reply #130 on: September 13, 2012, 05:21:30 pm »

Played a bit with the RX100 this evening. Indoor, mid level light.
Focus is almost OK but goes a bit slow when on telephoto end.
To me, at the moment, the worst issues are the size and the handling. Despite having quite small hands I really have to keep the camera with the finger tips.
It's very difficult to get stable shots.
Sony worked hard to reduce sizes and weight. I'd pay for a bulkier (not bulky) body!  :-[

The lens dial is driving me nuts. If you change it's behavior on a mode, switching to another mode it carries the new function with it.
I usually set as "zoom" for movie mode and "standard" for PASM modes.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 05:32:28 pm by mac_paolo »

thierrylegros396

« Reply #131 on: September 14, 2012, 11:41:30 am »

Paolo,

You're absolutely right.

For the ring and Steadyshot, I've asked Sony to correct this in next firmware, Hope they will do it !

Size is not a problem for me as I've small hands and use the strap to firmly stabilize the body.

But of course, a decent steadyshot is mandatory for waterfalls shot for example.
I've done very good waterfalls photos with my G10 at 1/5 or 1/4 sec without any tripod.

Thierry

armand

• Photos
« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2012, 11:52:39 pm »

Now that I installed LR 4.2 RC I started to play with the raws directly in LR. I did a quick process of a photo that should stretch the DR

- The jpg was out of camera with extra processing in LR 4.1.
- The LR was raw directly processed in LR 4.2 RC
- DxO was initially processed partially in DxO 7.5 then sent to LR 4.2RC where I continued (use of the "HDR" slider in DxO looked quite bad)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 12:02:29 am by armand »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2012, 11:53:31 pm »

Shadow detail (as it was pushed a good amount). Now I see that the LR shot I did push a little more.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #134 on: September 15, 2012, 11:54:52 pm »

And highlight detail

FredT

« Reply #135 on: September 16, 2012, 09:58:23 am »

Now that I installed LR 4.2 RC I started to play with the raws directly in LR. I did a quick process of a photo that should stretch the DR
So what's your judgement?

armand

• Photos
« Reply #136 on: September 16, 2012, 03:27:42 pm »

Although some say the jpeg engine is very good you can get much better results (at least when viewed at 100%) with both LR and DxO and I'm sure the difference would be obvious when printing larger also.
The bigger question is between LR and DxO and I can't say for sure now. The LR results look as good without the trip in DxO and the DxO look overprocessed; thing is in print they tend to look better when not printed very large.

I need to figure out if it's worth doing anything more than geometric corrections and lens softness correction, +/- noise correction. The real test would be a larger print of something that I like (this particular example is not something that I plan on printing).

PS. I posted the above images so you can make your own conclusions also.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2012, 12:57:17 pm »

Some photos taken very recently with RX100.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:32:13 pm by thierrylegros396 »

mac_paolo

« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2012, 05:51:04 am »

RX100 MP4 movies work on iMovie for iOS

Having just upgrade to iOS 6 and iMovie for iOS 1.4, I tried to import all the different movie formats to the iPad via camera connection kit.

√ MP4 1440x1080
X AVCHD (any)

Sure, the MP4 container with rectangular pixel and 12Mbps is not the top of the quality, but still it's way batter than iPad/iPhone camera for the video maker/journalist on the go.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 05:54:17 am by mac_paolo »

One Frame at a Time

« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2012, 12:27:46 pm »

Was wondering if anyone has been running LR 4.2 Beta to process their RX100 RAW images?  Do you convert the images in 4.2 and go back to 4.1 to edit?  Or is 4.2 stable enough to complete the editing, and final printing?  Are there any major (or minor) problems - dangers to installing the 4.2 beta??  Can it corrupt all your saved presets, settings, or paper presets??  Or are they copied from 4.1 and not updated by changes made while in 4.2?  Sorry for so many run-on questions but I've never been tempted to run a "release candidate" before.

Have not used the camera much yet but It looks pretty nice!  One thing that bothers me though is the lack of a filter adapter!!!  I always cap my lenses with a multi-coated UV filter as soon as received.
Why do we need to tape(!!) a modified filter holder to the camera??!!  This is after all, an "enthusiasts" camera.......Has anyone found a better solution?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up