Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony RX100...  (Read 93700 times)

thierrylegros396

Re: Sony RX100...
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2012, 07:43:19 am »

Thanks for this interresting news !!

armand

• Photos
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2012, 10:50:00 am »

Do you have both cameras?  I was ready to buy an S100 before the RX100 came along, and still might considering that it's half the price, but so many people seem really excited about the Sony.

Yes, and I also had (or still have but not using an S90). RX100 is not twice as good as S100, but we all know that incremental improvements on the high end cost exponentially more.
Depth of field is what makes the camera, you can get the bigger camera look which wasn't the case most of the times with the S100. That is if you don't want maximum depth of field.
At low iso I don't see that much of a difference when equivalent DOF is used. For color accuracy, WB, etc you should look for more specialized reviews.
Noise is better on RX100, we'll see when LR supports it how much the difference really is. I'm using RX100 at auto iso max 1600, the S100 at max 400. The difference might be a little less than 2 stops though.
Handling is different, it might be a matter of getting used to it. With RX100 you have to go the menus often if you like to tinker things often, but most of the settings can be accessed with few clicks only. Most of the times I use it on Aperture priority, auto iso up to 1600, I have exp com on the ring (works so-so) and manual focus -auto focus switch with the back center button (or however it's called). And few often used settings on the Fn button. I usually set same basic stuff appropriate for the scene and then I rarely change anything unless I change entirely the subject or the scene so it works OK for me.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2012, 12:32:05 pm »

And it seems to work well with LR4.2 RC.

But is it normal that you don't have access to lens correction sliders.

It seems like it was an incorporated lens correction invisible and not accessible to the user.

For my S90, I can modify embedded corrections with the sliders in LR3.

Yes, LR4 is new for me, so I'm not sure that the lens correction panel is the same as LR3 one.

Now I've to make a color profile of my RX100, because I'm not fully satisfied with those proposed in LR4.2 RC.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

armand

• Photos
« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2012, 06:18:14 pm »

dpreview has it's review up also

Arlen

« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2012, 04:29:16 pm »

Thierry, I have access to the Lens Correction sliders for my RX100 in LR4.2RC. Make sure that the little "enable" box at the top left of the panel is turned on.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2012, 07:16:44 am »

Did you experiment some problems in macro in medium to low light ?!

I was shooting some detail of a tablecloth yesterday, and my S90 had absolutely no difficuties at all, but the RX100 was completely unable to focus on those details, it could only work with more contrasty details of another tablecloth.
Note taht the light assistance led was working.

As there is no macro button, I asked myself if the RX100 could only work with macro in the scene menu ?!

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

jeremypayne

« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2012, 07:39:02 am »

As there is no macro button, I asked myself if the RX100 could only work with macro in the scene menu ?!

My hunch is that you were zoomed ... The working distance increases dramatically if you aren't at the wide end.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2012, 09:27:52 am »

Sorry, but I was at maximum wide angle.

So, I've made further tests and it seems that my RX100 has some problems with some textures to focus !

For sure, I've tested in macro scene mode, but it's exactly the same, and even sometimes you hear the "good focus bip" and see the "green brackets", but you really see on the screen that is is completely out of focus.

Now I can tell that in macro condition, S90 is far better for autofocus.

May you test with different textures to confirm that I'm not the only one ?!

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

armand

• Photos
« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2012, 12:02:11 pm »

RX100 needs a little room in order to focus in macro and you don't need to switch to macro scene.

In other order, DxO released a new version with RX100 support. Here is a photo that I worked on initially in LR4 starting from jpeg, and now I first used DxO for raw to dng, then LR4. They are BW and I didn't spend enough time to match them in terms of tonality or exact exposure but they are close. You can see 100% crops from each. Probably you can better than what I got.
They are both exported from the Ilford Gold Fibre Silk proof, relative rendering, hopefully that shows a little better what to expect in a print.

PS. shot is at iso 1600

Arlen

« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2012, 07:31:00 pm »

Sorry, but I was at maximum wide angle.

So, I've made further tests and it seems that my RX100 has some problems with some textures to focus !

For sure, I've tested in macro scene mode, but it's exactly the same, and even sometimes you hear the "good focus bip" and see the "green brackets", but you really see on the screen that is is completely out of focus.

Now I can tell that in macro condition, S90 is far better for autofocus.

May you test with different textures to confirm that I'm not the only one ?!

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

I think it's going to depend a lot on the nature of the texture, lighting and the degree of contrast, but I tried it on my sofa cushion, which I would say has moderate contrast. No problem auto-focusing properly in fairly dim, oblique light (f/1.8, 1/30 sec, auto iso = 800), wide angle, at the closest focusing distance of about 5 cm. Autofocus Area and Metering Mode both set to Center.  I set the cushion at an angle so I could easily tell which parts were in and out of focus. I don't have an s90 or similar camera to compare it to, but it is performing as well as I would expect in the circumstances.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2012, 05:31:34 am »

OK, I've understood now.

It seems that in macro and low light conditions the RX100 underexpose about 1EV !

So, simply pushing + 1EV solve my problem.

But Jeremy was right when he said that you must be in wide angle to shoot macro.

As soon as you zoom, the minimum focus distance increase a lot !!!

Now I know how to cope with thoses things ;)

Thierry

Arlen

« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2012, 04:05:32 pm »

There was some discussion earlier in this thread about underwater housings for the RX100, which look interesting. For anyone who isn't looking to go that far, but would like a case that does a good job of protecting the camera against the elements--for example when you are kayaking, fishing, hiking in the rain, etc.--you might take a look at the Pelican Micro 1010 case. I just bought one for $16 at REI, and it fits the RX100 just about perfectly. The camera fits into a rubber lining within the hard plastic case. The case is crushproof, dustproof, and water resistant. It's not guaranteed to be waterproof, and it's not recommended to submerge it. But I tested it by filling it with tissues, and then holding it at the bottom of a sink filled with water for 30 sec. No water leaked inside. So I think it's a better choice than the standard case for those activities where splashing or a brief dunking is a possibility.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #112 on: September 05, 2012, 02:16:40 pm »

I also have a Pelican box, but larger to accept the shoulder strap, it's fine and very robust.

Do you also remark, like me and some reviewers, that the steadyshot is very effective in video, but almost non effective in photo ?!

So I hope it's a firmware problem and the new version will allow good anti-shake performances !!!

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

armand

• Photos
« Reply #113 on: September 05, 2012, 07:13:48 pm »

Few days ago I took the S100 to photograph my kids in the park, meaning fast targets and lower light. I didn't realize until then that RX100 is in a different class when it comes to how fast it acquires focus (at least in the lower light) and shutter lag. I usually use less focus tracking and for single focus I can use RX almost without missing my SLR with a much smaller package.

maxgruzen

• http://www.pbase.com/mordicai
« Reply #114 on: September 05, 2012, 08:44:34 pm »

I considered the pelican case since I have the same one for my hearing aids, but I went with Aquapac, which is a fraction of the weight, totally waterproof, and you could throw it against a brick wall without any camera damage. The best camera case I own.
   Aquapac Medium Camera Pouch  http://usstore.aquapac.net/explore-product-range/waterproof-camera-cases/medium-stormproof-camera-pouch-uss021.html

Derryck

• http://www.derryckmenere.com
« Reply #115 on: September 05, 2012, 09:24:51 pm »

From Sri Lanka.

stewarthemley

« Reply #116 on: September 06, 2012, 12:13:18 am »

Like these, Derryck. Any HDR used?

Derryck

• http://www.derryckmenere.com
« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2012, 02:41:51 am »

No, I just shot them raw and then played around with some dodging and burning using layer masks in Photoshop. I've got some more images from the trip in the User Critiques section.

I took over 2000 images with this camera and was glad that Adobe had updated Camera Raw by the time I got back.

stewarthemley

« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2012, 09:52:06 am »

"No, I just shot them raw and then played around with some dodging and burning using layer masks in Photoshop. "

I think it has quite a good DR for a relatively small sensor, but I also find it's wise to take real care not to burn the highlights, more so than say a decent dslr. I lost quite a few early shots from exposing too much to the right (new acronym -TMTTR?) and losing the highlights. But like you, a bit of photoshopping is all it takes.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2012, 01:20:09 pm »

Most of the time, I'm satisfied with my RX100, but there are some drawbacks.

Do you also remark, like me and some reviewers, that the steadyshot is very effective in video, but almost non effective in photo ?!

So I hope it's a firmware problem and the new version will allow good anti-shake performances !!!

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up