Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony RX100...  (Read 93687 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Sony RX100...
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2012, 03:02:13 pm »

Hi,

My take right now is that in camera JPEGs are quite good. I'm shooting RAW+JPEG and hoping for better times. On the other hand I must say that in camera JPEGs are better than what I can achieve with "RAWDeveloper", but that may be my fault.

Best regards
Erik

The Sony RAW converter also fixes the distortion.

I've been converting my RAWs to 16bit TIFFs in the Sony App and then importing into LR.

PITA, but I am able to get good results.
Erik Kaffehr

ednazarko

Awful raw converter, lovely camera
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2012, 09:13:03 pm »

I don't think I've worked with a raw converter that takes so long to go image select to complete since I suffered through Nikon Capture. And when I look at the TIFF files produced, I'm certain there's more there that a decent raw converter could bring out.  I find the colors in particular to be inconsistent. I wish I could figure out why it seems so hard to control. It's not like I'm a total noob at image processing - I can shoot m4/3 and a couple different Nikons and process the raw files and you can't tell which camera was used. There's something distinctively RX-100 about the output from the raw processor.  That's kind of counter to the concept of raw, I think.

Do love the camera. First camera I've shot with since the GF1 with 20mm came out that makes me smile when I'm shooting. It's enough different looking and handling, in a good way, because of its size, that it's fun to use. The whacky zoomy continuous AF - almost brings on motion sickness - is probably a lag in lens distortion adjustment versus speed of autofocus adjustment.

Am I totally missing something, or is macro (or even close up) really limited to the widest zoom setting? That is kind of a fun spoiler, puts me in dangerous dog nose print on lens territory when photographing my puppy.

jeremypayne

« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2012, 09:43:25 pm »

Was playing around with close-ups today ... a couple shots with crops attached.

kmpickard

• Rara Avis Photos
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2012, 12:09:58 pm »

I’ve recently taken possession of an Rx100 as a replacement for my long in the tooth Lumix LX1. As Michael says, it’s a joy to use. It’s quick to focus and the resolution is amazing for a P&S. If it lasts as a carry-around half as long as my LX1 did I’ll be more than satisfied.

I have noticed, though, in shots taken with lens at it’s maximum reach that all four corners have a greenish cast. (I’ll try to append a sample of an OOC jpeg).

What I’m uncertain of is whether I just have an “off” copy or if it’s a characteristic of the camera. I’m also wondering, if it is in fact inherent to the camera’s design, if Camera Raw’s Lens Correction tab will take care it when it becomes available.

Has anyone else encountere this issue?

AFairley

« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2012, 03:32:52 pm »

I have noticed, though, in shots taken with lens at it’s maximum reach that all four corners have a greenish cast. (I’ll try to append a sample of an OOC jpeg).

I believe this issue popped up on the depreview Sony forum and was discussed there in the ususal DPR forum fashion, so it's not just your camera.  I just checked mine and see the same thing, FWIW.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2012, 06:07:21 pm »

I haven't noticed the green cast but I'll check some of my shots.

Mattnord

« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2012, 01:07:04 am »

Has anyone heard of a waterproof housing available for it? This would make a great little camera for all my ocean based activities. Should be a lot cheaper than a housing for the d700 as well! :D

jeremypayne

« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2012, 01:14:36 pm »

Has anyone heard of a waterproof housing available for it? This would make a great little camera for all my ocean based activities. Should be a lot cheaper than a housing for the d700 as well! :D

Recsea makes one already. Ikelite will, I'm sure.

The lack of an underwater mode leads me to believe sony won't ... Which is strange to me as this is would make a dreamy underwater camera ...

armand

• Photos
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2012, 08:10:10 pm »

I got to read on some forums that there are a lot of issues with the RX100 lens which kind of contradicts what I heard before, here or elsewhere. Main issues were lens too soft in the corners and green corners.
On mine I didn't notice much in regular shooting, except for expected softer corners, but I wasn't really looking either.
How are your experiences?

stever

« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2012, 11:20:56 pm »

i remain amazed by the image quality in jpeg, but am eagerly awaiting Adobe RAW before being completely satisfied. surprised to find that LR 4 can really help jpegs. the camera is far and away better than anything else you can put in your pocket.

just got the Franiec grip which is a help

still working on control setup

AFairley

« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2012, 10:16:42 am »

I got to read on some forums that there are a lot of issues with the RX100 lens which kind of contradicts what I heard before, here or elsewhere. Main issues were lens too soft in the corners and green corners.
On mine I didn't notice much in regular shooting, except for expected softer corners, but I wasn't really looking either.
How are your experiences?
I see the green corner issue, but it is pretty subtle and a non-issue IMO, and if it ever did intrude could easily be corrected in post.  I personally experienced some sample variation in the amount of corner softness, but again IMO it's pretty obvious if you have a "bad copy" -- the corner softness is there if you pixel peep, but not so much so on a print

Derryck

• http://www.derryckmenere.com
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2012, 04:22:21 am »

I'm currently in Kandy halfway through our two week cycling tour of Sri Lanka and absolutely loving using this camera. Taken about 1200 shots so far and so many that I wouldn't have taken if I took my DSLR.

Though I'm not expecting to take many shots tomorrow just hoping to survive the day which sees us climb 2000m over 100km.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2012, 05:11:51 am »

I will check for soft and green corner issue.

But for me, a big issue is that when you choose ISO for the ring, you can't use the ring any more in scene and auto modes !!!

Canon is more logical, and when you choose someting in manual modes, it does not affect auto modes.

Why has chosen Sony to affect all modes when personalizing ring and function button ???!!!

Hope they will change that in a new firmware.

Thierry

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2012, 01:44:06 am »

http://www.divephotoguide.com/underwater-photography-scuba-ocean-news/nauticam-announces-housing-for-sony-rx100-compact/

armand

• Photos
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2012, 05:22:00 pm »

From what I read it seems to be 125.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2012, 11:09:15 pm »

Pretty detailed review: http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Sony-Cyber-shot-RX100-Digital-Camera-Review.htm

It kind of confirms my suspicions that the stabilizer isn't that good. Also they don't speak too highly about the sensor performance (color accuracy, noise, DR, etc) but the big size combined with the excellent bright lens can give you that DSLR look that I couldn't get in my S100.

stever

« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2012, 11:34:02 pm »

very tedious to get thru this review to clear information.  their resolution test matches mine (looks like they may be using Imatest with the same target), however impressive this is (and i was very impressed by my tests at all focal lengths), i'm still reserving judgement until LR4.2 and evaluating some RAW files (i've been shooting RAW + JPEG in anticipation) as i am suspicious of what they may be doing in JPEG - but haven't tried any large print evaluations.

it's taking me some time to come up with a setup for intuitive fast operation - i'd like to be able to use the camera for street photography.  any suggestions are welcome.

FredT

« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2012, 12:05:26 am »

It kind of confirms my suspicions that the stabilizer isn't that good. Also they don't speak too highly about the sensor performance (color accuracy, noise, DR, etc) but the big size combined with the excellent bright lens can give you that DSLR look that I couldn't get in my S100.
Do you have both cameras?  I was ready to buy an S100 before the RX100 came along, and still might considering that it's half the price, but so many people seem really excited about the Sony.

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2012, 12:32:32 am »

Adobe has just announced release candidates for for Lightroom & camera raw that recognizes the Sony RX100: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up