Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony RX100...  (Read 93718 times)

Derryck

• http://www.derryckmenere.com
Re: Sony RX100...
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2012, 06:01:30 am »

I haven't owned a point and shoot camera since the late 90s so I was pretty impressed when I reached page 67 of the owners manual which describes how to best use the "Smile Shutter"!!

I think it's great that Sony have thought about the chance that your subject may not really be in the mood for a portrait so there's the "Slight Smile" setting.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 06:05:22 am by Derryck »

Pingang

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2012, 04:19:18 am »

I have a Sigma DP-2 Merrill on order that I will have it next week so I will not get a RX100 but it would be nice if someone has both and a make a comparison.

Pingang
Shanghai

I haven't owned a point and shoot camera since the late 90s so I was pretty impressed when I reached page 67 of the owners manual which describes how to best use the "Smile Shutter"!!

I think it's great that Sony have thought about the chance that your subject may not really be in the mood for a portrait so there's the "Slight Smile" setting.

jeremypayne

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2012, 12:42:16 pm »

I just picked up an RX100 at the Sony Store in Manhattan about 45 minutes ago.

They were going fast ... there were only two left.

billy

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2012, 05:53:26 pm »

I just picked up an RX100 at the Sony Store in Manhattan about 45 minutes ago.

They were going fast ... there were only two left.

jealous. since you have it in hand, what do you think the best approach is for putting ND filters on it for video would be?

jeremypayne

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2012, 06:24:08 pm »

jealous. since you have it in hand, what do you think the best approach is for putting ND filters on it for video would be?

Hmmm ... If they make gel filters, you could cut a small circle and tape it onto the lens.

I used to do that with gels and my Canon G9 for use underwater.

marcmccalmont

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2012, 04:05:55 am »

How's the RX100 feel in your hand? some point and shoots are a bit too small.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

DaveL

• http://
Re: Sony RX100...Franiec Grip Released
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2012, 02:03:33 pm »

Richard has a grip he makes specially for the camera. Just released.

I bought the Canon G9 and put a Franiec grip on it after reading of a trip to Japan where the writer used this camera instead of a Leica M8...

Richard's grips are incredible.

Here's a link:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/07/19/Sony-RX100-accessory-grip-from-Richard-Franeic
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 02:05:06 pm by dlynch »

Rob C

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2012, 02:34:16 pm »

The more you add on, the less the ideal little traveller anything becomes. Sort of defeats the point, one might think.

Rob C

AFairley

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2012, 02:44:25 pm »

The more you add on, the less the ideal little traveller anything becomes. Sort of defeats the point, one might think.
Rob C

True, but the grip doesn't extend past the the lens ring, so it doesn't add anything to the gross dimensions of the camera.  That said, I didn't feel the need for one on the S90, and will not be getting one for the RX11.

DaveL

• http://
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2012, 05:28:03 pm »

Rob C

Everyone's needs are different. His grips are works of art. Ifound my G9 much easier to grasp and easier to hold still The G9 with grip suited me better than the G11 with factory shape.

it was no harder to store,just easier to use. ifrequentlycarry a small P&S in a scottevest pocket. The grip makes it easier/quicker to pull the camera out and shoot. YMMV

Pingang

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2012, 07:49:53 am »

Very good, more quality than expected, the manual focusing ring is better than many DSLR lenses. Nice weight and size.

Rob C

armand

• Photos
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2012, 10:01:58 am »

Any idea when raw support will be more popular, for CameraRaw mainly, DxO is usually way too slow anyway (and I rarely use it these days) ?
I have a few shots that I can say I couldn't have taken with the Canon S100 but they need more work.
Also, any proper manual or guide around the web? I'm using it without reading anything for few days now but there are some things that bother me, such as how do I set the min shutter speed in Aperture more. If possible, as the default at 28mm is 1/30 and while it's ok for stable subjects it's too slow for moving kids.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2012, 12:00:40 pm »

As I partially won against my inertia here is a nice link, at the bottom of the page there is a dropbox link to a more proper manual for RX100: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1009&thread=41949972&page=1

BJL

Sony RX100 accessory grip: how big is too big for a grip?
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2012, 01:14:51 pm »

True, but the grip doesn't extend past the the lens ring, so it doesn't add anything to the gross dimensions of the camera.
And to me, so long as the grip does not extend past the front of the retracted lens (or the front of the shortest lens for a system camera), I would take the bigger grip for more secure holding and extra battery room. (This is one design disagreement I have with the Olympus E-M5.)

Derryck

• http://www.derryckmenere.com
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2012, 09:20:51 pm »

Just spotted this link on another forum, not available yet but looks like it might be a useful product.

http://cheesycam.com/nd-or-cpl-filters-for-sony-rx100/

stever

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2012, 10:06:21 am »

i've found the Franeic grip very useful of the s90 and will add one to the soon arriving RX100 - and eagerly anticipating the retirement of the S90

completely agree that proper grips should be a higher priority for small cameras - could be much larger without impacting the overall enelope of the camera/smallest lens with useful added battery capacity for a much improve sense of security and shooting experience

allegretto

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2012, 12:36:21 pm »

have found that shooting with a "pinch" maneuver works well due to the unit's balance

index finger on the shutter, thumb on baseplate. Long term holds may get dicey for some, I guess it depends upon who is holding...

but works for me. it's not a landscape camera in my bag.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2012, 03:20:18 pm »

Hi,

My feeling is that it is OK. I hold mine between the thumb and the index finger of both hands, so I would not have use for a grip.

This is the first P&S I'm satisfied with, but I miss a viewfinder.

Best regards
Erik

How's the RX100 feel in your hand? some point and shoots are a bit too small.
Marc
Erik Kaffehr

AFairley

« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2012, 04:19:12 pm »

This is the first P&S I'm satisfied with, but I miss a viewfinder.

Frankly, I would gladly give up the LCD for an EVF.  I tend just to put the E-M5 up to my eye to change settings rather than switch to the LCD and have to put on my glasses.  The volume saved from the LCD might offset a good deal of the volume of the EVF, allowing the same overall form factor.

AFairley

Re: Sony RX100... When do we get Adobe support?
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2012, 10:14:46 am »

Wow, the Sony RAW software is a complete dog!  Even worse than the Oly raw converter, which is quite an accomplishment. Anyone have any hint when the RX100 will be supported in the Adobe DNG converter (the first place I'd expect it to be)?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up