Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best backdrops for around $500?  (Read 5417 times)

MarkoMijailovic

• MRKM FOTO
Best backdrops for around $500?
« on: June 06, 2012, 04:14:26 am »

Oliphant Studios (in NYC), without a doubt, make the finest backdrops in the business, in my opinion. Unfortunately, they don't sell the ones on their site and their custom ones (made to order) run several thousands of dollars. Being a relative 'newb' to the game, having not yet made my millions (like Ms. Leibovitz, who's a frequent user of their bg's), I can't afford this and thus am posting this thread in hopes that someone can recommend a place/person that sells similar backdrops, aesthetically, at a more reasonable price, of say $500 or less. If you look under their "backdrops" and then "gray and black" section, you'll see the types I'm looking for. Ones with very subtle 'texture' in them (i.e. 1337, etc.). Something about these backdrops just speaks out to me far more than those obnoxious Sears ones with way too much going on. I love the subtlety and tact that these have. If you know of a place and would be so kind as to share, that'd be terrific! I think $500 is more than a reasonable enough amount to spend on a nice, quality background. Believe me, I've tried painting me own... and lets just say I take pictures instead of painting them for a reason  ;D

BobDavid

Re: Best backdrops for around $500?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 09:46:01 am »

Try using simple neutral backgrounds and experimenting with how you light the background. It is amazing what you can accomplish by just using lights and playing around with modifiers and gobos. If you have a big enough studio, it's also amazing what can be accomplished by moving the subject either closer or further from the background to isolate of merge the subject into the background lighting and textures.

Petrus

Re: Best backdrops for around $500?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 10:02:47 am »

Have you looked at the normally priced backdrops from B&H for example, they have several thousand of them. Can not be all bad... and priced around $100-200. An expensive one is not going to make your photos better, I would rather have 3-4 different ones than one costing $500.

Ms Leibovicz also lost a few million, maybe the backdrops were too expensive after all...
Pages: [1]   Go Up