Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon’s EOS 5D Mark III Stumbles Against Rival  (Read 21045 times)

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
Re: Canon’s EOS 5D Mark III Stumbles Against Rival
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 11:27:20 pm »

.....and then you use the camera and realize what a load of crap some of these test results are.

The pricepoint is ridiculous,relative to the competition, but the camera is a far better machine than the Mkll

Mark
www.marktomalty.com

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 11:42:40 pm »

I am with Mark Tomalty on this one and I've shot a fair amount with the D800, D800E as well as the 5D Mark III. No it isn't a  36mp camera but it does best the 5D Mark II and 1Ds Mark III.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 12:05:21 am »

Hi,

What DxO mark says is that the D800 has better image quality than the 5DIII when both are optimally used.

DxO also says that the 5DIII sensor has inproved little over it's predecessor.

Regarding the Nikon D800 it's a giant leap from it's predecessors. Compared with the D3X it's a giant leap in price/performance and compared with the D700 it's a giant leap in resolution and ow ISO read noise.

Best regards
Erik

FYI
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/News/DxOMark-news/Canon-s-EOS-5D-Mark-III-Stumbles-Against-Rival
Marc
Erik Kaffehr

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 02:29:09 am »

... the camera is a far better machine than the Mkll...

Yawn...

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 07:10:46 am »

I love the banter between comparing the new Nikons and Canon DSLR bodies. It reminds me of the Mac vs PC, Mac OSX vs Windows conversations.

A very important point that seems to never get mentioned in all of the articles comparing the Nikon D800 and Canon 5D Mark III is the fact that it can takes years and lots of $$$ to build a collection of branded lens and accessories. Personally, I've been using Canon cameras since high school and I'm going to my 40th reunion next year. Currently, I have the new 5D Mark III, the 1Ds Mark III, and a bunch of Canon L lenses and Zeiss 21, 50 and 100mm fixed lenses. Changing brands would be a very expensive proposition. More than likely, by the time I completed the conversion, Canon will come out with a new DSLR body that tops the Nikon and I will have regretted making the change.

There's no doubt that the Nikon D800 is an exciting advancement in sensor resolution and dynamic range, however, my friends, family and clients love my photos now and I don't think that they wouldn't appreciate the difference in camera bodies anyway.

Cheers.
Bud
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

hjulenissen

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 07:53:24 am »

Lense investement, and the invested time in learning each "system" will no doubt slow down the rate at which people switch brands. Lense lineup may cause some to stick to one brand "no matter what". At least those who contemplate $3000 DSLR houses.

I do believe that there will be more people switching from Canon to Nikon than the other way around in this segment. The longer we have to wait for a Canon to come with a model that beats current state of the art (rather than their own, older models), the more people will switch.

-h

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 09:16:49 am »

Bud James is a very smart, practical guy.

Mjollnir

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 01:29:57 pm »

Yawn.  It's the driver, not the car.

Luxferre

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 05:15:14 pm »

Camera body is relatively short lived investment, however the lenses and experience with one system is long term investment.

- Nikon was more honored in film era
- 1999 both companies stared digital
- 2002 Canon made FF camera(1Ds Mark) , however Nikon only after 5 Years!
- 2008 Canon (5D Mark II) made DSLR capable to make movies, Nikon only after more than 3 Years!
- 2012 Nikon got back the lead (D800e) dynamic range, resolution etc.

P.S. In past lot of cameras was announced in photokina, probably this year also there will be something new...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 05:19:42 pm by Luxferre »
www.smitsphoto.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 06:02:24 pm »

... Changing brands would be a very expensive proposition...

And that is exactly what makes us (or some of us), Canon owners, so furious: we feel like we are held hostage of our lens investment, that we are  taken for granted and taken advantage of by Canon. They refuse to innovate, to go in the lockstep with the latest technological advances, justifying it as simply "our dummies have nowhere to go, after investing so much into our system... hahahahahaha" (insert here a mental image of your favorite 007 villain :))

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 06:03:46 pm »

So long story short, same as always, no one has a perfect camera yet.  If you want the better landscape kit go D800(E), if you want the better wedding (low light) kit go 5DIII.

marcmccalmont

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 07:05:30 pm »

And that is exactly what makes us (or some of us), Canon owners, so furious: we feel like we are held hostage of our lens investment, that we are  taken for granted and taken advantage of by Canon. They refuse to innovate, to go in the lockstep with the latest technological advances, justifying it as simply "our dummies have nowhere to go, after investing so much into our system... hahahahahaha" (insert here a mental image of your favorite 007 villain :))

Actually I had done the opposite several years ago switching to Canon with the 5D being the first affordable FF DSLR, I too am disappointed in Canons lack of competitive sensor design but they did take a large marketing risk with the first electronic lenses (EOS) and pioneering the CMOS sensor so I think there is hope for them in the future. I'm keeping my Canon lenses for that day.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Keith Reeder

• Capture The Moment
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 07:53:12 pm »

They refuse to innovate

No, they refuse (if indeed it's a matter of "refusal") to innovate in a way which a tiny - but extremely, depressingly, garrulous - subset of the customer base (that miniscule part of the customer base that thinks it needs "amazing" base ISO DR off the camera) has recently decided is the only thing that matters.

I say "off the camera" because any Canon user with half-decent conversion and PP techniques under his belt (and I don't mean multiple exposure HDR techniques here) can make the supposed "superiority" of some Sony sensors in comparison to the Canon alternatives, all but vanish - it's not that hard to get far more effective DR out of Canon files than some here would have us believe is possible.

Despite all of the noise from some quarters about Canon's lack of sensor innovation, I've yet to see the image from a Sony-sensored camera that would be impossible to duplicate with a comparable Canon, and I reckon that Canon is smart enough to recognise hype when it sees it...

For the avoidance of any doubt, I'm saying that for the vast majority of photographers, "best in class" base ISO DR is an irrelevance, and I reckon Canon gets that.
Keith Reeder
Blyth, NE England

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 08:35:15 pm »

... any Canon user with half-decent conversion and PP techniques... can make the supposed "superiority" of some Sony sensors in comparison to the Canon alternatives, all but vanish...

Care to demonstrate?

Ray

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 08:45:43 pm »

No, they refuse (if indeed it's a matter of "refusal") to innovate in a way which a tiny - but extremely, depressingly, garrulous - subset of the customer base (that miniscule part of the customer base that thinks it needs "amazing" base ISO DR off the camera) has recently decided is the only thing that matters.

If that part of the customer base is so miniscule, it seems odd that the D800 is in such short supply and that waiting lists are so long. Do you think the problem is due to Nikon withholding supplies of the camera, or is perhaps due to their factories and production lines being so small?  ;D

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 01:22:27 am »

Camera body is relatively short lived investment, however the lenses and experience with one system is long term investment.

Partially true. On the other hand, when you start to factor in the cost of brackets, flashes, brand specific accessories,... that ends up being pretty significant.

But I agree, it is comforting to know that the only cost I'll have to bear in case Canon releases a body delivering superior value for what I do is that of a small adapter for my wide set of F mount lenses.  ;)

Since Canon lenses cannot be used on Nikon bodies, investing in a Canon system now pretty means staying stuck with their bodies whatever they decide (not) to release, or suffering from a heavy financial loss the day you have enough and decide to move to another brand since you'll have to buy lenses again.

Cheers,
Bernard

hjulenissen

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 02:43:16 am »

I say "off the camera" because any Canon user with half-decent conversion and PP techniques under his belt (and I don't mean multiple exposure HDR techniques here) can make the supposed "superiority" of some Sony sensors in comparison to the Canon alternatives, all but vanish - it's not that hard to get far more effective DR out of Canon files than some here would have us believe is possible.
The same techniques can also be applied to Nikon or Sony cameras.

What you seem to be saying is that Canon DR is _sufficient_ for most scenes and good photographers. That may well be right, just like the 12 MP of the Nikon D700 might have been sufficient.

-h

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 12:28:43 pm »

I see the complainers are for the most part not full time shooters, just hobbyists.

Nail on the head...describes a lot of 'discussions' on the internet about photography..

torger

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 12:38:11 pm »

It is all very obvious.

There was/is a format if you needed superior base ISO DR and high resolution - Medium Format. Nikon have with the D800 reached a tipping point when resolution is high enough and base ISO DR actually exceeds MF so that many (not all) MF shooters consider the Nikon D800 a real alternative. This is clear in all MF forums. It is similar to when MF digital got good enough to be an alternative to 4x5" film.

Canon has not reached that tipping point. That is a huge difference. Canon will eventually get there though.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 12:46:59 pm by torger »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up