Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions of Apple 27" Thunderbolt display  (Read 14267 times)

PhilipCummins

Re: Opinions of Apple 27" Thunderbolt display
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 03:54:52 am »

IMO, these solutions are terrible and further block a clear, unobstructed view of the LCD itself. I recommend removing the glass on Cinema Displays before applying film. The glass comes off daily easy leaving a remarkable matte surface LCD and, unfortunately, an ugly bevel around it.

I found whenever I looked at the iMacs with screens pulled off it had a glossy screen underneath (which was also pretty unevenly coated). So up to the customer to figure out what they want to do, I've seen some of the films and they add the usual grain/speckle to the screen like a usual anti-glare coat but if you didn't like it you can pull it off. I'm curious to know if it would be possible to replace the stock glass with something like Museum Glass (or AR coated glass) to see what it would be like.

howardm

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 07:07:50 am »

I recall seeing a product recently that was a 'frame' for a naked 27" display.  The idea being that you remove the glass and use this frame to hide the internal edges.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 09:20:46 am »

I found whenever I looked at the iMacs with screens pulled off it had a glossy screen underneath (which was also pretty unevenly coated).

The only thing glossy about Apple's displays is the glass in front of the LCD. The LCD itself is matte, just like every other LCD on the planet that doesn't have something in front of it. If the glass is removed, you are left with a matte surface LCD.

Yes, Museum glass would be better than glossy glass. We use multi coated glasses on our camera lenses, and to frame prints - why not complete the loop and do the same with the workstation? I'd just be happy without any glass.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 09:21:25 am »

I recall seeing a product recently that was a 'frame' for a naked 27" display.  The idea being that you remove the glass and use this frame to hide the internal edges.

Then where is it?
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 12:29:56 pm »

Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

howardm

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 12:51:53 pm »

apparently it doesn't fit the 27 TB display but they're working on a product for that

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 01:22:40 pm »

Wonder if using the MacFrame compromises the structural integrity of the entire iMac enclosure such as cause warping or twisting of internal components and/or the entire metal shell that holds the components.

Looks like the MacFrame might dissipate heat at least and provide better ventilation. Don't know how hot the LED screen gets compared to regular CFFL screens.  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up