Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question to Jeff about the Print Video in the Advanced Guide  (Read 3907 times)

aebolzan

• agustinbolzan

I have been watching almost the complete series of videos  and particularly that related to the Print Module (Video 45). Jeff: you explain there about the use of jpg as output, but you don't say too much about Profile (you just change sRGB to Adobe RGB....can one use a particular paper profile for a certain printer? or with jpg it is useless?). Furthermore,  about File Resolution: if my lab uses an Epson 9900, should I leave 300 ppi as you set in the video or upsampling my image to say 720 ppi, as you advise in a previous video?.  As I can't afford a pro printer like the 9900, I prefer to use a custom lab, and I would like to get the best from my file when sending it to the lab (they began to use the 9900 and Canson papers).

By the way: the videos are amazing!....I bought in the past the Kelby and Evening books, but videos are sometimes more educational than books. Congratulations! great job!!

Agustin   

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Question to Jeff about the Print Video in the Advanced Guide
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 04:56:20 pm »

Most labs require the submitted output file be either sRGB or Adobe RGB. If you have an actual profile supplied by the lab, yes, you can certainly use that.

With regards to the resolution, what is the native resolution of the image at the final print size? If under 360, upsample to 360ppi. If over 360 but under 720ppi, upsample to 720. But, if you are not doing this your self, you'll need to explain everything to the lab on how to set up the printer so it uses Finest Detail which is required to get 720ppi output resolution from the printer.

alain

Re: Question to Jeff about the Print Video in the Advanced Guide
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 05:40:47 pm »

I have been watching almost the complete series of videos  and particularly that related to the Print Module (Video 45). Jeff: you explain there about the use of jpg as output, but you don't say too much about Profile (you just change sRGB to Adobe RGB....can one use a particular paper profile for a certain printer? or with jpg it is useless?). Furthermore,  about File Resolution: if my lab uses an Epson 9900, should I leave 300 ppi as you set in the video or upsampling my image to say 720 ppi, as you advise in a previous video?.  As I can't afford a pro printer like the 9900, I prefer to use a custom lab, and I would like to get the best from my file when sending it to the lab (they began to use the 9900 and Canson papers).

By the way: the videos are amazing!....I bought in the past the Kelby and Evening books, but videos are sometimes more educational than books. Congratulations! great job!!

Agustin   

I would ask the lab first.  Say how you have the files natively (for example 16 bit prophoto  xx by yy pixels) and ask how they want them to delivered should they print it at a certain size.  A prolab will give you an answer.  You may expect that they know how to print and if they don't start looking at another (or try to educate them if you're brave).
Pages: [1]   Go Up