Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wild Ginger, Spring, Bruce Trail  (Read 4071 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Wild Ginger, Spring, Bruce Trail
« on: June 02, 2012, 12:40:31 pm »

Ontario is rather fortunate to have the Niagara Escarpment - a rocky limestone ridge winding it's way from Niagara Falls in the south to Tobermory in the north with parts of it showing up on Manitoulin Island in Lake Huron. Following along the edge most of the way is the Bruce Trail - an almost 800km hiking trail.

The stretch where this photograph was made is, surprisingly, in Hamilton - a city of 500,000, also known as the City of Waterfalls - through which the Niagara Escarpment ("the Mountain") and the Bruce Trail pass. Truly an undervalued resource (unless you're the type to extract aggregates for building), the Niagara Escarpment is recognized as a World Biosphere Reserve.

As an artist it is my goal to create a body of work which  "reveals the art inherent in nature". The Niagara Escarpment is just one of the areas of speciality I am working on. But capturing it in all seasons and moods just might be a lifetime's work. Here is one of the images in that series.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 12:49:30 pm by luxborealis »
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Re: Wild Ginger, Spring, Bruce Trail
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 09:57:41 am »

I love subjects featuring images in fog, but don’t get this one.

Help me if you will. What, to you "reveals the art inherent in nature" here?

Isaac

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 11:09:22 am »

"reveals the art inherent in nature"
Is that a quotation or are you being ironic?

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 11:16:10 am »

Barnett Newman of course.

Isaac

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 01:34:09 pm »

Barnett Newman of course.
And a source reference?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 02:13:10 pm »

I do not want to get sucked into the, by now, inevitable semantic hairsplitting, so will concentrate on the image itself.

Hmmm... Interesting.

It appears overexposed by a good stop or even two. However, knowing your skills, I doubt that was accidental or out of ignorance. I can only guess what was behind it: reducing the scene, eliminating details and tones, to reveal underlying shapes and patterns ("the art inherent in nature" - without trying to be sarcastic)?

It that was the idea, than I find a the ground greenery a bit distracting and not conceptually congruent with the upper part. I also find it a bit too saturated for the moody, foggy forest floor atmosphere.

I played a bit myself with the image (hope you do not mind). I am actually not sure if what I got is an improvement (and especially not if your rendering was quite deliberate), but it offers a bit more realistic alternative interpretation (again, only making sense if realistic was the goal to start with). Once again, the idea is not to compete (with your rendering), but to contribute to the discussion.

On second thought, I can actually live with your version as-is, and even like it. My "realism" is, as most realistic things are, a bit too realistic perhaps, i.e., boring  ;)

EDIT: Your version makes even more sense in the light of the recent debate in the Dave (Isle of Skye)'s post (the general public preference for saturated colors).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 02:22:16 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 03:23:12 pm »

I played a bit myself with the image (hope you do not mind). I am actually not sure if what I got is an improvement (and especially not if your rendering was quite deliberate), but it offers a bit more realistic alternative interpretation (again, only making sense if realistic was the goal to start with). Once again, the idea is not to compete (with your rendering), but to contribute to the discussion.

Thanks Slobodan - I do like your interpretation. The forest floor is much better. I was trying to re-crete the feeling of light from above that I experienced on the day, but I may have overdone it.

Is that a quotation or are you being ironic?

Yes, I'm quoting myself and no, it's not meant to be ironic. It is what it is.

I love subjects featuring images in fog, but don’t get this one.

Wow - I can understand criticism of the photograph, but criticizing my raison d'être as an artist - OUCH! Mock me if you feel the need to, but this is where I'm at...

There's nothing "to get" – it is a "straight" photograph re-creating the beauty of nature as best as I can in two-dimensional photography.

I know it may be a conceptual reach in this anthropocentric ("it's all about me") world, but to me, "The art inherent in nature" is my way of saying Nature is, by itself, art – with as little of my interference as possible. In its most fundamental form, without the constraints and manipulations imposed by humans, nature is art. I don't need to add my expression (or angst) to it to turn it into art. I am but an individual, and am only on this Earth for a short while compared to grand span of Nature. Who am I to improve upon nature? I've succeeded as an artist if I can reach people through Nature as it exists.

Many feel that "art" must come from within artists themselves and that's perfectly legitimate. After all, art is a medium of self-expression, and I totally get that. One can argue that without humans, there is no art, as art is a human construct. Believe it or not, I agree. I'm a huge fan of my own country's Tom Thomson, Emily Carr and the Group of Seven - amazingly artistic interpretations of Nature. But that's not where I'm coming from.

Where I diverge from this line of thinking, is when it comes to my own photography of nature: my goal is to let Nature speak for itself as much as I possible can (given that I'm pointing the camera, choosing the lens and aperture and composition). In doing so, I am trying to make myself and my manipulations "transparent" to the scene so that others can enjoy the scene for what it, in itself, expresses. I know it's impossible, but, for me, making "straight" photographs, allowing nature to express itself, is the closest I can get to re-creating the beauty inherent in nature.

I know I'm not the first one to think this way – it goes way back to the beginning of photography – but it's what I'm doing.

While I am working in the field, I am specifically thinking of those who may never have a chance to see the beauty I am experiencing – not just "shut-ins" but people who may never even conceive of leaving the comforts of their urban life to see a different side of the world, not to mention those who do, yet never manage to see nature for nature's sake.

In many ways, this photograph exemplifies what I'm trying to achieve, as I made it in a strip of forest in the middle of a urban area lived in by 500,000 people, the majority of whom would have no clue as to the existence of a scene like this because they would never go into the forest on a day like this or may never go in at all. It's not 100m from a golf course - the closest to "nature" many urbanites might ever get. For me, it is the ultimate compliment when, as in the case of this photo, family members who live only a few hundred metres from this scene, don't recognize it as being local then remark how they have never seen it like this. Yet, I know it's actually just a moment photographically captured as the scene really exists without any special manipulations.

Now, I'm not a total cretan here - I realize that I am "imposing" my will as an artist by choosing the lens, camera position, aperture, composition, time of day and all that. But I am trying my best to add as little of me and technology as I can so that people see the scene and not my manipulations/interpretations. For that reason, in presenting these images, I try to keep it simple and "transparent" by using matte paper (so there is no reflection or gloss of any kind) with simple white mats. I would prefer not to have glass in the frame, but galleries are a bit insistent on that for protection purposes. Perhaps "wall art" would be the best way to present these images.

One can argue that what I'm doing is, in itself, is a form a lying in that I'm trying hide my contributions behind the concept of straight photography. I look at it this way – Nature, by itself, has no advocate at a time when people are becoming more and more into themselves and their increasingly urban-technological lives. In my own way, I am attempting to counter this movement by showing people that the natural world is beautiful in and of itself and it is worth protecting. If my photographs can help in some small way to wake up the masses to the beauty that is all around them, then I have succeeded.

Okay, now swing away at me...

[BTW - definitely not Barnett Newman]
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:31:37 pm by luxborealis »
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Peter McLennan

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 03:52:00 pm »

No swinging necessary.  In fact, you already hit one out of the park.  Lovely image, in need of no defense whatsoever.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 05:30:37 pm »

Thanks Slobodan - I do like your interpretation. The forest floor is much better. I was trying to re-crete the feeling of light from above that I experienced on the day, but I may have overdone it.

Yes, I'm quoting myself and no, it's not meant to be ironic. It is what it is.

Wow - I can understand criticism of the photograph, but criticizing my raison d'être as an artist - OUCH! Mock me if you feel the need to, but this is where I'm at...

There's nothing "to get" – it is a "straight" photograph re-creating the beauty of nature as best as I can in two-dimensional photography.

I know it may be a conceptual reach in this anthropocentric ("it's all about me") world, but to me, "The art inherent in nature" is my way of saying Nature is, by itself, art – with as little of my interference as possible. In its most fundamental form, without the constraints and manipulations imposed by humans, nature is art. I don't need to add my expression (or angst) to it to turn it into art. I am but an individual, and am only on this Earth for a short while compared to grand span of Nature. Who am I to improve upon nature? I've succeeded as an artist if I can reach people through Nature as it exists.

Many feel that "art" must come from within artists themselves and that's perfectly legitimate. After all, art is a medium of self-expression, and I totally get that. One can argue that without humans, there is no art, as art is a human construct. Believe it or not, I agree. I'm a huge fan of my own country's Tom Thomson, Emily Carr and the Group of Seven - amazingly artistic interpretations of Nature. But that's not where I'm coming from.

Where I diverge from this line of thinking, is when it comes to my own photography of nature: my goal is to let Nature speak for itself as much as I possible can (given that I'm pointing the camera, choosing the lens and aperture and composition). In doing so, I am trying to make myself and my manipulations "transparent" to the scene so that others can enjoy the scene for what it, in itself, expresses. I know it's impossible, but, for me, making "straight" photographs, allowing nature to express itself, is the closest I can get to re-creating the beauty inherent in nature.

I know I'm not the first one to think this way – it goes way back to the beginning of photography – but it's what I'm doing.

While I am working in the field, I am specifically thinking of those who may never have a chance to see the beauty I am experiencing – not just "shut-ins" but people who may never even conceive of leaving the comforts of their urban life to see a different side of the world, not to mention those who do, yet never manage to see nature for nature's sake.

In many ways, this photograph exemplifies what I'm trying to achieve, as I made it in a strip of forest in the middle of a urban area lived in by 500,000 people, the majority of whom would have no clue as to the existence of a scene like this because they would never go into the forest on a day like this or may never go in at all. It's not 100m from a golf course - the closest to "nature" many urbanites might ever get. For me, it is the ultimate compliment when, as in the case of this photo, family members who live only a few hundred metres from this scene, don't recognize it as being local then remark how they have never seen it like this. Yet, I know it's actually just a moment photographically captured as the scene really exists without any special manipulations.

Now, I'm not a total cretan here - I realize that I am "imposing" my will as an artist by choosing the lens, camera position, aperture, composition, time of day and all that. But I am trying my best to add as little of me and technology as I can so that people see the scene and not my manipulations/interpretations. For that reason, in presenting these images, I try to keep it simple and "transparent" by using matte paper (so there is no reflection or gloss of any kind) with simple white mats. I would prefer not to have glass in the frame, but galleries are a bit insistent on that for protection purposes. Perhaps "wall art" would be the best way to present these images.

One can argue that what I'm doing is, in itself, is a form a lying in that I'm trying hide my contributions behind the concept of straight photography. I look at it this way – Nature, by itself, has no advocate at a time when people are becoming more and more into themselves and their increasingly urban-technological lives. In my own way, I am attempting to counter this movement by showing people that the natural world is beautiful in and of itself and it is worth protecting. If my photographs can help in some small way to wake up the masses to the beauty that is all around them, then I have succeeded.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 05:33:12 pm »

Vertical stripes in space. Pure design by nature. Newman's very influence.

Isaac

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 05:47:44 pm »

Many feel that "art" must come from within artists themselves and that's perfectly legitimate. After all, art is a medium of self-expression, and I totally get that. One can argue that without humans, there is no art, as art is a human construct. Believe it or not, I agree.

I think you understand the logical contradiction with your prior statements, for example -- "without the constraints and manipulations imposed by humans, nature is art".

There's probably an easy way to say your intent is to show the beauty of the world through your photography, without turning words to gibberish.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 01:22:25 pm »

by me: I love subjects featuring images in fog, but don’t get this one.

It was not criticism or mocking anything. It was an explanation followed by a direct question. You don’t need to be defensive.

Okay then. Thanks.

Having seen some of your other works, to me, this one is not on par with those. Slobodan’s comments address some areas I would have, had I taken the time to do so, except that I’m not a fan of manipulating other people’s works, without at least asking first.

First and most importantly, thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate that you are willing to make the impassioned reply you did.

It was a well thought out and intelligent if somewhat rationalized opinion, and one which you clearly have deep feelings about. The response was very human – and I mean that in the best possible way - and I’m not going to debate your opinions as they are your opinions, and debating that kind of thing is generally not productive.

Turning to the work…. What I like about this image is the top roughly 30% or so as it shows the interplay of both dense and what I guess is thinning fog. It could be the sun burning through, but if so, there is no telltale powder blue or faint yellow to be found. I do like the way the 2 foreground trees show a boundry behind and beside which the fog becomes more dense. This boundary plays with perception, which is a good thing. The bad news is that the ground appears over-saturated and is incongruous with the rest of the scene.

Were the image above captured by me, I would have tried some things to subtly reduce the brilliance from much of the foreground. This would help draw the eye up toward the majority of the composition. In addition, the killer for me, is that the combined effects of pointing branches and sloping ground draws the eye down the hill to the right where it abruptly dead ends with no way back or left. The combined effects makes the work frustrating which is NOT consistent with other works of yours I’ve seen.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 01:40:18 pm »

...Slobodan’s comments address some areas I would have, had I taken the time to do so, except that I’m not a fan of manipulating other people’s works, without at least asking first...

Me neither. However, I assumed the permission was implicitly there, as Terry did the same thing in another recent thread.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 02:20:40 pm »

^Even with the best of intent, doing so without asking not a good practice. I’ve seen some who welcome C&C in their sig, but beyond that…. is an intrusion and can be perceived as a copyright violation.

Just sayin’

John R

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 07:11:36 pm »

A very fine shot Terry. I have to get to the escarpment early one of these fine mornings. And now I know what wild ginger looks like!

JMR
Pages: [1]   Go Up