Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson LFP ink cost calculator  (Read 11053 times)

Gaston.P.G

• Gaston.JP
Epson LFP ink cost calculator
« on: June 01, 2012, 07:34:18 am »

Dear all,

As a new member, I take advantage of this first post to present myself. I am a french amateur photographer living in Paris France.

I am very proud on that day to take part on your forum where a lot of celebrities of the digital printing come and share their art knowledge.

As a very soon new member of the Large format printing community, I am searching for elements to address the wife acceptance factor with facts and figures in my "choice" between an Epson 3880 and the 4900 HDR ink technology one.

In that purpose I have just find an iPad application called "Epson LFP ink cost calculator", but unfortunately installation needs an unlock code to succeed and I was unable to find it.

Is there a clue you could share with me ?

Secondly, I understood from a commentary of ... Dan Steinhardt from Epson as I remember, that due to the new parked position/technology use in the TFP head it is recommand to switch of the printer each time you do not use it. I know it is a common question (in term of nozzles clogging) but due to the fact that the printer will be in my bedroom ... the response is important in terms of WAF equally to other questions in the decision process ;)

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Hope you understand my english.

Take care,

Gaston.P.G
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 08:06:01 am by Gaston.P.G »
"On ne connaît que les choses que l'on apprivoise" Antoine de Saint Exupéry.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epson LFP ink cost calculator
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 08:57:33 am »

Bonjour Gaston - your English is completely understandable - don't be apologetic about it.

Now onto your concern - I don't have a clue about either the app of how to deal with unlocking anything, but my suggestion, based on prior use of the both an Epson 3800 and current use of an Epson 4900 - is that differences of ink cost between them should be the absolutely lowest priority issue in making a decision between these machines. I think the Epson 4900 is somewhat more economic in terms of ink use per print, and the cost per ml is lower because the cartridges are larger, but the cost of good quality paper out-weights the cost of the ink by a large margin. Paper is the biggest recurrent cost item if you are using high quality media. So ink a second-order consideration on a per print basis and a third order consideration comparing the ink use of one printer model versus another.

So setting aside the cost of ink as a significant issue, the really important things are the following: (1) Print quality: very high from both printers. Gamut volume is somewhat larger on the 4900 but you may not always see the impact of this in a print. It depends on the image. (2) Do you need a roll holder? If you are not going to be using rolls of paper you probably don't want or need a 4900. It's a lot of extra printer for that one feature. (3) Noise: The 3880 is a much quieter printer than a 4900. (4) Print volume: the 4900 is designed for higher volumes of work, so depending on how often and how much you print, it could be advantageous over the 3880. (4) Turning off the printer when not in use: Yes, on any of them. It assures that the print head is properly parked and capped and therefore mitigates the drying out of ink and need for cleanings. You may read my review of the 4900 printer on this website, as well as other stuff I've written for LULA on the costing of ink use. Unfortunately, the measuring techniques I once used have been largely disabled by Epson changing the information the machine provides, hence the workaround of an app, if it is any good, could be helpful, but as I say, I don't think ink cost is a key consideration in choosing between these machines
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Gaston.P.G

• Gaston.JP
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 09:25:32 am »

Hello Mark,

Thanks a lot for your feedback, very appreciated.

I know the paper is more expensive than the ink but because of
- the possibility of using rolls
- the better paper stability due to vacuum (and therefore the print quality),
- and the best quality of the paper drive (platen),

My sensibility directs me to the SP4900.

Even it is large, heavy and a bit louder than the SP3880; that's why I am searching for false excuses ;)

Otherwise, I would like to give also a feedback after my exchange with an Epson representative about the fact that I would like to switch off the printer every night : "The issue with the print heads clogging will only occur if it is switched off for a long period of time. It will not be an issue, I recommend regular use to stop the print heads clogging.".

Thank you again for that feedback.

Gaston

N.B.: I will give a feedback concerning the iPad application as soon as I have the response from the editor of the application, contacted today.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:28:08 am by Gaston.P.G »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 10:30:48 am »

Gaston,

The lack of ink delivery after the machine not being used for a long period of time is all about the time interval, not whether the printer is on or off. If it isn't used and there is no ink throughput, the ink that's stagnant could dry, and this applies whether or not you turn off the printer - my understanding. If you learn something different please report it here. If I don't use my 4900 for more than a week, it needs a simple cleaning cycle and all is well. I keep it turned off between printing sessions - in default preference settings, Epson has it arranged that the printer turns itself off after some hours of non-use.

I would not worry about the stability of the paper in a 3880. As far as I know there is very little - if any - reported evidence of this being an issue, and the print quality from these machines is truly very, very good. I used its predecessor the Epson 3800 for about three years before buying my 4900 and I was very satisfied with the quality. It was great. I used 13*19 inch Ilford Gole Fibre Silk paper in it. The paper handling mechanism is pretty much the same between the 3800 and 3880 as far as I know. The main advance of the 3880 over the 3800 was the inks.

Again, I would suggest that frequency of use and the need for the roll holder would be the more important factors to consider in this choice. The better gamut volume could be a factor for some images.

Gaston.P.G

• Gaston.JP
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 10:52:41 am »

Mark,

I would like to start making panoramic printing, rolls would be a plus. But also be able to print without having to introduce cute sheet paper each time I would like to make a print.

Regarding consumption, I think to print around 25/30 cute sheets of A3+ prints per week and around 10 x A2 (or rolls equivalent). I do not know what is the average consumption linked to both the SP3880 and the SP4900.

Gaston.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 11:02:13 am by Gaston.P.G »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 05:05:11 pm »

For printing panos on rolls you need the 4900. The printing volume and frequency you mention should be fine for this printer.

Gaston.P.G

• Gaston.JP
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 06:58:05 pm »

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your feedback on that printing volume and frequency regarding this two printers. It is very helpful for me in my decision process.

Just have to negotiate the price now, because there is no cash back in France and french price is ... not the north american price (public price 2400 € = 2985 USD = 3100 CAD) ???

Good evening,

Regards,

Gaston.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:07:34 pm by Gaston.P.G »

jmd56

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 09:26:27 pm »

Gaston,
I could only wish my french was as good as your english.
Over many months I have been keeping track of square inches printed and
ink costs incurred with an Epson 4900.  I have been using a variety of papers, sheet, roll, and different sizes, but nearly always at the highest
possible quality. Factoring in usage of non replaced cartridges my current estimate is $5 to $7
per 16" x 20" print.  Since I am in the ink manufacturing business, I can say its likely different
major manufacturers and their printers are all printing at cost factors that are not far apart. If they
were, then customers would notice, and someone would go bankrupt for being too costly :-)

The web chats about ink costs in a variety of ways, but keeping reasonably close track of ink cost paid and square inches printed over time is the
only reliable method. While each printer has a different experience, statistically we can get to relevant figures using this simple (tedious) method.
My tracking is not perfect, only meant to be accurate enough for making decisions.

Like some of the other people here, I do not think cost per print is the primary concern. Quality and customer satisfaction
are more critical. I hope this helps...  

regards,
James

Gaston.P.G

• Gaston.JP
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 03:17:34 am »

First of all, Thank you to both of you about my english ;) I take that like a compliment (furthermore for a french it is like a big compliment  :D ).

James,  thank you for that pragmatic vision of the ink market and cost.

Mark, may I abuse of your kindness and ask to you two precisions.

- You said the paper handling is about the same from both the 3800 and 3880. But in fact I was comparing 3880 with 4900. I thought the 4900 has a better/stronger one ?

- When you say « The printing volume and frequency you mention should be fine for this printer », is it because it is the minimum level you estimate to legitimate the 4900 ? I ask that because for me these is the highest volume, that I estimate ;-)

Regards,

Gaston.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 07:03:26 am »

Gaston - paper handling works well on all three printers: 3800/3880/4900. Not something to worry about. As for printing volume - as long as you make at least one print that uses a range of colours say twice a week, you should be fine. The idea is simply to flow through at frequent enough intervals that ink does not dry in the nozzles.

Gaston.P.G

• Gaston.JP
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 02:31:52 pm »

Mark,

Thank you for all that information. I let you inform after my exchange with my Epson representative when the dream come true ;-)

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Gaston.

bricci_mn

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 09:26:48 am »

Hi Gaston,

Sorry for making this thread up again, but it is almost a full year that I and my father use our 4900 and we are literally enthusiastic, and by the way... Have you bought it? :)
I was wondering about your purchase since June!

This printer is very impressive (its footprint is the first thing with which you face when you put it on your desk... :-) ) but the most impressive thing is how fast is the machine and how good is each print.
In terms of useability is as easy as a common office printer, but in terms of nozzle clogging, you can deeply clean each couple of colours with a normal or strong clean action. I had an issue due to the hot summer and a several week period in which the printer was turned off, and the strong clean was very effective on the banding, without using a large amount of ink (the cleaning time is the same with a higher pressure, I think).
The cost per print in some cases is even 10 times lower than the old small format photographic printers (e.g. Epson R800, R1200...) and the results are more than a hundred times better! :D
But consider that we are only passionate hobbists.
In the last year, in terms of money, we spent less than a full R800 recharge printing about 7-8 times the whole number of prints done with the last year of use of our R800... More than a half of the starter kit inks are still in use... It means that instead of the costly inks of consumer printer the professional tools are made with an eye on cost-effective work.

Talking about the topic, are you able to verify the LFP Ink Cost Calculator app?

Thanks!

Bye!
Sebastiano

Gaston.P.G

• Gaston.JP
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 05:29:46 am »

Dear All, Sebastiano (sorry for that late feedback),

Yes I have it ! it is a wonderful printer and i enjoy it ... a lot !

I am really proud of the prints ... and amazed by :

- The quality of the printer in term of paper handling is perfect (I am only using paper thicker than 300 GSM)
- The quality of the large flat tint area ("aplats" in french) without any error or bronzing is ... waouh ;-)
- I am mostly using textured paper from Epson or Hahnemühle and I am impressed by the color depth and luminosity given by this printer on this type of paper. It is just stunning. I am not really a beginner (screen calibrated in term of candelas and worked several years for publisher industry) but I was very pleased by the paper feedback in term of luminosity unlike lot of commentary when people used to work behind pleasant screen displays with a lot (too much) luminosity get there photo on paper for the first time. I remembered not that feeling with my precedent printers.
- Another great pleasure, printing a lot of A2 without thinking each time ... is there anymore ink to make that print complete ? And hesitating too much to print, test, reprint, retest and get closer in knowledge of your paper, your printer, your workflow.

- An element that could be seen as negative but logical (for me) is that, for that type of printer you need to have the right software solution to manage your prints. Personally my workflow is based on Photoshop, Niksoftware plugins for retouching my raw files, paper manufacturer profiles (Epson, Hahnemühle), calibrated display.

Hope this feedback would be helpful for somebody searching one more feedback before buying it.

"Talking about the topic, are you able to verify the LFP Ink Cost Calculator app?" : Not at all, very difficult to have feedback/exchange, with Epson France.

Best Regards,

Gaston

bricci_mn

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 02:16:26 am »

Ho Gaston!

I agree with you all along your thoughts!
So, keep enjoy your Epson 4900! :)

Keep in touch here in this forum! :)

Seba

SignalsLtd

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 10:33:11 am »

Dear all,

As a new member, I take advantage of this first post to present myself. I am a french amateur photographer living in Paris France.

I am very proud on that day to take part on your forum where a lot of celebrities of the digital printing come and share their art knowledge.

As a very soon new member of the Large format printing community, I am searching for elements to address the wife acceptance factor with facts and figures in my "choice" between an Epson 3880 and the 4900 HDR ink technology one.

In that purpose I have just find an iPad application called "Epson LFP ink cost calculator", but unfortunately installation needs an unlock code to succeed and I was unable to find it.

Is there a clue you could share with me ?

Secondly, I understood from a commentary of ... Dan Steinhardt from Epson as I remember, that due to the new parked position/technology use in the TFP head it is recommand to switch of the printer each time you do not use it. I know it is a common question (in term of nozzles clogging) but due to the fact that the printer will be in my bedroom ... the response is important in terms of WAF equally to other questions in the decision process ;)

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Hope you understand my english.

Take care,

Gaston.P.G

Hi Gaston.P.G

To unlock the EPSON LFP APP, please contact Bruno Destribats at EPSON UK Ltd, he will be able to assist you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up