Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New website: Comments and criticism sought  (Read 2616 times)

jenbenn

• http://
New website: Comments and criticism sought
« on: June 01, 2012, 03:07:16 am »

Hi everybody,

I just finished renovating my website.

http://photography-in-style.de/

I would love to get some feedback on the design, content and usability before I launch it. Your help in this regard would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Jens

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: New website: Comments and criticism sought
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 03:42:44 am »

Looks good - Firefox on Win 7 / 64. Some fine pictures, easy to navigate, clean look. Maybe one thing is there's no obvious info about the pictures, so people won't easily find your work via Google?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 03:45:05 am »

It seems to work well and quickly on my iPad. However, in the Burma gallery, some of the large images don't correspond to the thumbnails.

Jeremy

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 04:37:52 am »

Hi Jens, Some lovely images but I have noticed that you have the 'right click' disabled to enabling opening new headings in a new tab. I'm not sure whether this is intentional or not - but I prefer to be able to open a couple of pages at a time and while one is loading in the backgroun - read another.

I would question using one of the pages/headings in your Galleries as being "BEST OF" though.... because if they were your 'best'...what would entice me to go to your other galleries, and why would I want to go to your other galleries if you have already seived out the "best" ones for me???

Julie

jenbenn

• http://
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 04:52:52 am »

Thanks everybody for the comments. I will have a look at the issue you pointed out!

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 10:23:12 am »

Yes, jule makes a good point with the observation about a 'best off' section; very dangerous, especially when you want to show a deeper range of images of anything specific. I'd lose it tout de suite! If you really want to, you could use a few such 'best-offs' to make a grid of images on one page (home page?) as a tone setter.

Having said which, there are so many thousands of websites out there doing pretty much the same things that being individual is very difficult and might even end up being counterproductive in some instances. I believe that the single greatest put-off for me is speed with places I visit. If they are slow, I simply can't be bothered to wait. This can even be my own computer's fault - I wouldn't know - however, the result is exactly the same.

Rob C

michswiss

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 08:49:55 am »

For what it's worth, I'm on a Mac with Safari.  This is slow beyond belief.  The few shots that came up are technically very good, including composition.  But not great emotionally.  Not a lot of connection.  There are some in thumbnail that I'm interested in, but they simply don't show in the interface. I might feel differently if I could get through more than one or two every several minutes.  Oh well...

Michael West

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 09:42:58 am »

for my nickel there's a bit too much white space on the lefthand side of the layout,  making the pages somewhat unwieldy 

Nicholas Whitman

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 10:13:42 am »

Categorizing images for sale by color? To coordinate with my couch?

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 03:34:41 am »

Just my humble two cents, after a quick review:

* Fast and easy navigation, thanks!
* Most texts in English, but there are others in German.
* I would change the URLs from "page_id" to something more meaningful.
* The banner to "seen.by" looks like an ad to me, and gives an image of "cheap site".
* You have several panoramas, but all of them from the same bridge; that looks "unpolished" to me.
* The "Galleries" menu takes a bit to roll down; by the time I noticed it was rolling down, I had already pressed it.
* I would remove the "Privat" link; it only serves you.
* And I would also remove the "Blog" link, until you have some real content there.

Hope this helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up