Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Rights Grab Alert  (Read 1717 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Another Rights Grab Alert
« on: May 31, 2012, 09:39:56 pm »

Canon should know better than to get involved with Promoters grabbing image rights like this.
https://ssl.sovr1.mel.secureinf.net/shssl01/terms-conditions.aspx

By entering the Promotion, they grant to the Promoter on submission of the entry photograph ("the Materials") a worldwide, royalty free, perpetual, exclusive and irrevocable licence to use the Materials for whatever purpose;
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Tony Jay

Re: Another Rights Grab Alert
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 09:56:57 pm »

Well done Josh - thanks for the heads up.

Regards

Tony Jay

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 10:20:37 pm »

No surprise. Many photo contests are set up like this because entrants rarely pay attention to those details and the promoters simply grab all the rights they can get away with. Most pro and serious amateurs are wise to those antics and simply ignore those contests. Savvy stock photo shooters are especially wary of all internet-based contests and new stock photo sites. Many of those shams are efforts to get free images for later re-sale with no compensation to the original artist.

Josh-H

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 11:04:26 pm »

No surprise. Many photo contests are set up like this because entrants rarely pay attention to those details and the promoters simply grab all the rights they can get away with. Most pro and serious amateurs are wise to those antics and simply ignore those contests. Savvy stock photo shooters are especially wary of all internet-based contests and new stock photo sites. Many of those shams are efforts to get free images for later re-sale with no compensation to the original artist.

Unfortunately in this case the promoter is actually a division of the Australian government's tourism segment and its backed by Canon.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Farmer

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 11:51:00 pm »

Wow, it's particularly bad!

f.they unconditionally and irrevocably consent to any act or omission that would otherwise infringe any of their moral rights in the Materials (as defined in Part IX of the Copyright Act 1968(Cth)) and present and future rights of a similar nature conferred by statute anywhere in the world whether occurring before or after this consent is given ("Moral Rights");

g.they waive all Moral Rights in the Materials that arise outside Australia; and

h.they will not institute, maintain or support any claim or proceeding for infringement of their Moral Rights in the Materials.

They're covering every single base so they really can do absolutely anything they want with no recourse at all.

Josh - have you contacted Canon about this at all?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:52:48 pm by Farmer »
Phil Brown

Josh-H

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 11:56:08 pm »

Josh - have you contacted Canon about this at all?

Not as yet. Its hard to know where to direct it as Canon is such a massive corporation. If it doesn't get to the right person nothing will be done about it (even then its likely nothing will happen unfortunately).

Normally, when I see these sorts of things I just ignore and move on. But this one stuck with me since its backed by Canon and run by our tourism dept.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Farmer

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 01:05:24 am »

Yeah I agree that makes it particularly bad.  Maybe someone from CPS or AIPP (since Canon are AIPP sponsors, too)?  I'm not sure - I don't have any direct contacts at either just thinking aloud.

Maybe an email to one of the news orgs or channels - might interest them and get a bit more traction.
Phil Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up